+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Suzuki Swift Sport (not a rental)

Liked
    20 times

Quote Originally Posted by petterbw View Post
    This is going to be a fun one. A&R Motorsports is building a custom splitter for me.
    This is just a cardboard template, final version will be made from plywood and fibreglass (and painted black).
    Will also make addon cannards or sidepods (or whatever they are called), to prevent drag from air hitting the front wheels.

It's an afterhours project, so it will be slow progress, but I will keep you posted

Attachment 11115

Attachment 11116
    The cutout is for the exhaust, it will be filled in by a metal as we didn't want the plywood/resin catching fire #SafetyThird
    How do you like the new one?970kg with 1.4t and 230NM.
    VA(15) STI/FRS

Liked
    16 times

Haven't driven it...yet
    Will have to drive it to see how it feels. Not all cars are as great on the road as they are on paper
    The specs are OK, but will have to see how much it can be tuned. 140hp is a bit low for a turbo engine.

I do like the look of it, but still waiting on the final price for it in Norway.
    jqsti2015 likes this.

Liked
    16 times

Quote Originally Posted by deng
    Any updates?
    Sorry for not updating in a while. Been busy with work and holiday and many other excuses

I've blown my headgasket. Atleast i hope that's it. If I drive calmly and dont exceed 4k rpm, all is well. But if I use all the rpm's i get exhaust in the coolant.
    Got all the parts needed and will swap it next week (autum holiday here in Norway). Will also swap the waterpump, belts and chain and so on.

The splitter has been cut from plywood, but nothing more than that has happened for a number of reasons.
    Winter is almost here, so the goal now is to get the engine in order again and get the aero on after winter has passed

I've bough a winter-beater, a 1997 bmw 520i with manual transmission.
    We have a couple of wintertracks in Norway (frozen lakes), so hopefully I will get time to attend one or two of those.
    But it needs to get a lot colder first, as of now they are still just lakes

20170818_172641.jpg

20170818_172637.jpg

20170818_172633.jpg
    Attached Images

Liked
    41 times

Attachment 11116
    The cutout is for the exhaust, it will be filled in by a metal as we didn't want the plywood/resin catching fire #SafetyThird
    This splitter goes a long way back, do you have somewhere for the airflow through the radiator to escape? If there's nowhere for the air to go out of the engine bay, you might have cooling issues.
    bawareca likes this.

Radical Dreamer
    Liked
    11 times

Not the update I wanted to hear lol, but I hope all goes well with the repairs!
    Wanna-B-Spec Yaris

Liked
    16 times

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    This splitter goes a long way back, do you have somewhere for the airflow through the radiator to escape? If there's nowhere for the air to go out of the engine bay, you might have cooling issues.
    I think there is still enough room for air to escape. But will keep a closer eye on temps just in case.
    Will be adding an oilcooler aswell. Think heat may have played a part in the headgasket failure.
    Rudskogen (the track i've been driving) is really hard on cooling.
    The long teem goal is a fully flat underbelly, but that probably won't happen before late 2018 (at best)

Liked
    16 times

Quote Originally Posted by deng View Post
    Not the update I wanted to hear lol, but I hope all goes well with the repairs!
    Yeah, it kinda sux. Missed a lot of trackdays this summer. But thats part of the game I guess.
    Hopefully the head can come out without removing the entire engine.

Liked
    111 times

Cool Project! Hopefully that BMW beater wont drain your poject funds
    The new 1.4 turbo Swift Sport also seems promising (although its ugly as hell compared to your model).
    Less powah is better

Liked
    41 times

Hopefully the head can come out without removing the entire engine.
    I've just pulled my spare engine down to the short block to measure it up for bigger cams. Removing the head with the engine in the car, while do-able, would be very challenging, as there's not much room to work in the engine bay. I would remove the engine for this task. If you are interested there is a detailed thread in the SSOC UK forum on this subject.

Liked
    16 times

I've just pulled my spare engine down to the short block to measure it up for bigger cams. Removing the head with the engine in the car, while do-able, would be very challenging, as there's not much room to work in the engine bay. I would remove the engine for this task. If you are interested there is a detailed thread in the SSOC UK forum on this subject.
    Yeah i've heard it's doable but easier with the engine out. But don't really see why it should be so difficult with the engine in the car. The only thing i see as being an issue is the exhaust header. but I've had those out before. and the will need to be taken off anyway if I want to remove the engine from the car.
    I've had a search on the ssoc forum, but not found anything (my forum search skills are not what they used to be). Got a link?

Liked
    41 times

Yeah i've heard it's doable but easier with the engine out. But don't really see why it should be so difficult with the engine in the car. The only thing i see as being an issue is the exhaust header. but I've had those out before. and the will need to be taken off anyway if I want to remove the engine from the car.
    I've had a search on the ssoc forum, but not found anything (my forum search skills are not what they used to be). Got a link?
    Here's the link:

Bigger cams for ZC32s track car

Getting the headers off with the engine in the car is straightforward, I did that to weld in EGT and wideband bungs.

The timing chain cover has the right hand engine mount built in, so you need to support the engine to get it off while also being able to remove the sump, and then get at the pulley, tensioner etc, with not much room to work. The intake manifold was a challenge to get off with the engine sitting on a stand in the middle of the garage, then there's the water pipe that runs under it, that's also bolted to the head.

I guarantee it will not be the most fun day you have had in your life. Good luck.
    Last edited by Sprinkles; 09-29-2017 at 03:26 AM.

Liked
    16 times

Here's the link:

Bigger cams for ZC32s track car

Getting the headers off with the engine in the car is straightforward, I did that to weld in EGT and wideband bungs.

The timing chain cover has the right hand engine mount built in, so you need to support the engine to get it off while also being able to remove the sump, and then get at the pulley, tensioner etc, with not much room to work. The intake manifold was a challenge to get off with the engine sitting on a stand in the middle of the garage, then there's the water pipe that runs under it, that's also bolted to the head.

I guarantee it will not be the most fun day you have had in your life. Good luck.
    Yeah, i recon it won't be fun, but removing the engine would bring some challenges to. Like the AC that i still have on the car, and hope to keep
    Why does the sump need to come off?

Liked
    41 times

Yeah, i recon it won't be fun, but removing the engine would bring some challenges to. Like the AC that i still have on the car, and hope to keep
    Why does the sump need to come off?
    The sump needs to come off to get the timing chain cover off.. Do you have the workshop manual? If not ill see if I can find the link.

Liked
    16 times

The sump needs to come off to get the timing chain cover off.. Do you have the workshop manual? If not ill see if I can find the link.
    Yeah, had a look through the manual. Didn't catch that on the first read
    Looks like the engine needs to come out after all then
    Printed out the 500-or-so pages that deal with the engine, hopefully that will be all we need while we work...

Liked
    41 times

One thing I struggled with initially was the head bolts. They are 10mm 12 point bolts, and very deeply recessed. I had to buy a deep socket, then grind it down so it could get into the galleries and seat on the heads of the bolts cleanly. They are torque to yield so you need to buy new ones with the new head gasket.

Liked
    16 times

One thing I struggled with initially was the head bolts. They are 10mm 12 point bolts, and very deeply recessed. I had to buy a deep socket, then grind it down so it could get into the galleries and seat on the heads of the bolts cleanly. They are torque to yield so you need to buy new ones with the new head gasket.
    Startes yesterday. My mechanically inclined buddy. We got all the wiring and plumbing disconnected from the head. So the head is coming off today.
    As of now the engine is still in the car, but not 100% decided if it will stay there for the entire operation

Thanks for the tip in the bolts. Will buy a socket today just in case we donn't have one

Liked
    41 times

Startes yesterday. My mechanically inclined buddy. We got all the wiring and plumbing disconnected from the head. So the head is coming off today.
    As of now the engine is still in the car, but not 100% decided if it will stay there for the entire operation

Thanks for the tip in the bolts. Will buy a socket today just in case we donn't have one
    If you do manage to get the head off with the engine in the car, can you please post some photos of how you did it?

Liked
    16 times

If you do manage to get the head off with the engine in the car, can you please post some photos of how you did it?
    It was really just straight forward. The worst part was getting the waterpump pulley off. Also the support for the intake manifold, had to use a lot of extensions on the ratchet

Took the head of with the intake manifold still on.

Liked
    16 times

Progress report:

Got the head of, and it is straight. wohoo!!!!

Had to take the front bumper and wheelarch liners off. Radiator and exhaust manifold.

A good handfull of wires plugs and hoses.

Belts and pulleys, AC-compressor (rested it where the radiator used to sit)

Took the sump of and rested the engine on a piece of hardfoam.

Removed the engine mount on the side, and then the sidecover and all bits and pieces there.

It's kinda hard to see the timing marks with the engine still in. but with a mirror and a flashlight it's doable.

It's not the easiest and most comfortable job, but with a lift it's not as bad as i feared.

Snapped one bolt that holds the sump, and one that holds the valve cover. My main mechanic is a metalworker in a prototyping facility, so not too worried about that

Had the manual handy, and the procedure was about 50/50 manual and common sense
    There where a couple of fiddly bits, but no major holdups.

I'm having trouble uploading photos, so will try again later today or tomorrow. (will also try to remember to take more photos)
    facebook seems to work though, so there will be some photos in my "taytay" album
    https://www.facebook.com/petterbw/me...1900250&type=3
    Sprinkles likes this.

Liked
    16 times

Car is back together now. seems to be working fine.

No real issues with doing the gasketswap with the engine in the car. Yes, it was tight, but nothing was impossible. even managed to get the sidecover on past the AC-lines and all. (that was a bottomclencher as the cover had liquid gasket on it)

Worst was probably the waterpump pulley, no chance in hell to fit a torquewrench, but you can swap thepulley and the pump it self without taking the engine out.

We took the head out with the intake still in. There is a very short waterhose on the gearbox side that was not fun. but again, fully doable with some friends helping.

Winter is just around the corner here, so the car is going into storage next week. So will rev the nuts of it the next couple of days to make sure all is well

ps: will post pictures on monday when i get back to work
    Sprinkles likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast