• 1 Post By fatbillybob
  • 1 Post By Red_5
  • 1 Post By Force McCocken
  • 1 Post By eyeballs

Thread: rx8 s2 track survival advice request

Liked
    21 times

Default rx8 s2 track survival advice request

For those of you familiar with the series 2 renesis platform, what extras are required to keep things cool and comfy for 20-25 minute sessions? I just picked up a low mileage specimen over the weekend and need it to survive 4+ hours of track time each event.
    '99 miata

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1915 times

Engine swap.

Liked
    21 times

Well of course that's the obvious solution! Motor swap is not in the budget, so might as well try to keep this one going. Plus I like the feel and sound of the renesis so far. Just got off the phone with a local rotary race shop mechanic and he thought the radiator and oil coolers would need upgrading to survive double track duty. This thing is no miata! The kids are super excited about being able to ride in it though.
    '99 miata

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    348 times

Mike Haag @ Haag Performance in Sacramento is your guy. He campaigns a rx8 in lucky dog running the EC class. He might have some good input.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    2265 times

Massive heat exchangers for coolant and oil.

heat_exchanger_2.png

Liked
    567 times

Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    ...so might as well try to keep this one going.
    Key operating word here.
    bawareca and Blackbird like this.
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Liked
    20 times

Lol...........
    VA(15) STI/FRS

Liked
    1430 times

You may need more than an ebay racing radiator. I tried that and it wasn't enough, but that car might have had other issues. Hard to know for sure.

Car would be PERFECT for the track if the temp issues and power issues could be cheaply fixed. The temp issue is maybe solvable, the power issue, probably not.

I gave up and got the s2000.

I think if there was a cost effective solution for the temp issues, this would be a GREAT entry level dual purpose car.
    JulioG likes this.

Liked
    1541 times

There are guys running the rx8 very successfully in scca T4. T4 is nearly a stock class with very very few allowable mods. Maybe oscar j. Knows some T4 rx8 guys to talk to.
    MikeColangelo likes this.

Liked
    708 times

Well of course that's the obvious solution! Motor swap is not in the budget, so might as well try to keep this one going. Plus I like the feel and sound of the renesis so far. Just got off the phone with a local rotary race shop mechanic and he thought the radiator and oil coolers would need upgrading to survive double track duty. This thing is no miata! The kids are super excited about being able to ride in it though.
    I've seen LS swapped RX-8s in the $10k range. I had started looking into these awhile back, they're incredible bargain but from what I hear even in stock form are expensive to track/race. Even the LS swapped cars for $10k, why not buy a C5? At least that's my thinking. I'll likely stay with Miatas.
    jqsti2015 likes this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    21 times

I didn't get a c5 because this one cost me $4900, only has 30k miles on the odometer, and (once I get the bumper straightened) is in phenominal condition. I'll probably start slow and alternate sessions with my wife on a normal 7 session day with the stock cooling system. My recent research tells me the koyo and csf radiators are decent. Rx8 performance makes a sweet dual pass radiator but it doesn't exactly drop right in. The series 2 cars have bigger radiators and oil coolers, as well as run higher oil pressure than the series 1 cars. I'll get an ultraguage and keep an eye on the water temps. Thankfully the first couple of events will be in cool weather.
    '99 miata

Liked
    14 times

My buddy used to track day one but not race. He added a big radiator and a oil temp gauge. We bought a banjo bolt with a NPT adapter to make it
    super easy to add the sender.

You can drill your own banjo bolt but I liked the Corksport one because it had a shoulder that spaced the sender from blocking the oil passage.
    I can't seem to find it on Corksport website anymore.

Keep your stock cat for emissions - they burn up and cost $$$$. So run a high flow or a midpipe/cat eliminator.

You can also reprogram the PCM to turn the engine fans on sooner and/or inject more oil than the factory settings.

Liked
    751 times

I might fix and flip it. A dual-use family car you might enjoy is a first gen TSX in that price range. I know, I know, FWD, but I like them. An e46 sedan would be another. The L6 BMW motors are great on the elevation changes around AMP and RA.
    Last edited by Force McCocken; 10-13-2017 at 05:14 PM.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    21 times

Quote Originally Posted by jrx13 View Post
    My buddy used to track day one but not race. He added a big radiator and a oil temp gauge. We bought a banjo bolt with a NPT adapter to make it
    super easy to add the sender.

You can drill your own banjo bolt but I liked the Corksport one because it had a shoulder that spaced the sender from blocking the oil passage.
    I can't seem to find it on Corksport website anymore.

Keep your stock cat for emissions - they burn up and cost $$$$. So run a high flow or a midpipe/cat eliminator.

You can also reprogram the PCM to turn the engine fans on sooner and/or inject more oil than the factory settings.
    I made sure to do my research. I ordered a BHR midpipe the day after I drove it home. I already pulled the airpump and installed a blockoff plate in anticipation of the catless midpipe. Also got lower temp thermostats for the radiator and oil coolers. A local rotary race mechanic will be doing a tune with mazdaedit to enhance reliability (fan settings, etc.) and power. I also got some budget friendly firehawk indy500 tires to throw on the stock wheels for the first couple events with stock suspension. I like the idea of an oil temp guage. Do you know what radiator your friend used?

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    I might fix and flip it. A dual-use family car you might enjoy is a first gen TSX in that price range. I know, I know, FWD, but I like them. An e46 sedan would be another. The L6 BMW motors are great on the elevation changes around AMP and RA.
    FWD just doesn't do it for me on track, though I do enjoy it for autocross. The maintenance costs worry me on the bmws, and the entry fee on the rx8 was just too good to pass up. I figure with this one being a series 2 and only having 30k miles on it, I've got a good chance of getting 20-30k more before it needs a new motor if I maintain it properly. If I keep it that long, that should be at least 4 years.
    Last edited by eyeballs; 10-13-2017 at 07:29 PM.
    '99 miata

Liked
    751 times

Your logic is invalid if you are worried about maintenance costs of an e46 versus an RX8. There are reasons some cars become spec racers and others don’t.
    bellwilliam likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    708 times

FWD just doesn't do it for me on track, though I do enjoy it for autocross. The maintenance costs worry me on the bmws, and the entry fee on the rx8 was just too good to pass up. I figure with this one being a series 2 and only having 30k miles on it, I've got a good chance of getting 20-30k more before it needs a new motor if I maintain it properly. If I keep it that long, that should be at least 4 years.
    Wow, you bought a series 2 car with less than 30k miles for less than $5k? Amazing deal. When I was looking they were all much more expensive. All the deals I saw were usually around '04s. Makes me want to start looking again.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    21 times

I was originally looking at series 1 cars since, like you said, series 2 cars are significantly more expensive. This one had a rebuilt title, looked fantastic (in the photos), and was listed for $6700. The day after I initially spoke with him it was backed into while parked causing minor damage, and price went down from there. On the 11 hr drive home it felt fantasic (and got nearly 20mpg!), though the cd changer doesn't work. Yesterday I found a good oil cooler to replace the imperfect one on the damaged side for $28 shipped.
    Red_5 likes this.
    '99 miata

Liked
    14 times

He used a BHR radiator, which looks like they don't make anymore either.....but that was before Koyo made one I guess?

+ Reply to Thread