+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: MotoIQ.com - Project Viper GTS: Pt 1 - History & Intro

Liked
    445 times

Default MotoIQ.com - Project Viper GTS

Hey guys,

Check out MotoIQ's newest Project Car: Viper GTS - Part 1 History & Intro.

"The Dodge Viper has been competitive on the world stage by doing it the American way: with big wheels, big brakes, big tires, a big engine, and not a lot of refinement. While it has always been a highly capable car on the track, used car prices have finally dropped to the point of being affordable by the masses and it has become a realistic option as a track day car. This project hopes to clarify some of the stereotypes that surround the Viper and bring the truth to light of a very cool platform."

Project Viper GTS: Part 1 - Intro and History

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Stuntman; 02-26-2015 at 11:32 AM.
    JJ1 and Loose Caboose like this.

Liked
    364 times

Your personal car Billy?

I hear its gen III+ or bust for these cars, had fun reading the article. Thanks!
    Do you understand?

Liked
    165 times

One of the best-looking cars ever IMO, and very high on the 'cool' factor.

Liked
    445 times

Quote Originally Posted by tq3z View Post
    I hear its gen III+ or bust for these cars, had fun reading the article. Thanks!
    It depends on what you're looking for.

Gen 1
    400hp 460tq.
    - were only good for open-air PCH cruising and to enjoy a fast roadster for being a fast roadster (Shelby Cobra, Lotus Seven, etc...)

Gen 2
    450hp 490tq (415whp so probably closer to 475hp at the crank)
    - have a slightly better suspension (lighter) and powertrain (lighter), with the Coupes being quite good and stiffer. GTS' are 195mph cars.

Gen 3
    500hp 525tq
    - have slightly more power and a better cooling system than the Gen 2's, but the cockpits were the hottest due to the crossover "ring of fire" -to improve sound and emmissions. Same piston and rod as the '03 Gen3 Hemi.

Gen 4
    600hp 560tq
    - huge jump in Power thanks to the Cam-in-cam VVT, CNC heads, this is the car to have for the Gen 3/4 body style

Gen 5
    640hp 600tq
    - looks similar to the Gen 2 GTS, I love this car and objectively its by far the best of the bunch, except a Gen 4 ACR-X which is still faster than a Gen 5 TA (thanks to its better aero). Plastic intake manifold is lighter and does not heat soak the air charge.

My two favorites are the Gen 2 GTS & Gen 5. The Gen 5 is by far the best version of the car and I was never really sold on the Gen 3/4 bodystyle, however the Gen 4 is a pretty good car and I would take an ACR-X as a track toy, while the Gen 3 is kind of the bastard child. The 996 Turbo or R33 GTR of the Viper history if you will...

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    One of the best-looking cars ever IMO, and very high on the 'cool' factor.
    Did hell just freeze over?
    Last edited by Stuntman; 01-14-2015 at 12:12 PM.
    tq3z likes this.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

The viper GTS was my first car love... before i even had a general interest in cars. It was THE car in the original Gran Turismo.

I've always liked the car for what it is: a fire spitting symbol of American excess. Its motto is, "Moderation is for pussies."

But, now i see it for what it is, which is overall kind of meh. You give any car 400 hp and itll be fast (i.e. zhong ). The viper doesnt jive with my philosophy, which is to do more with less. The viper does more with more.

But i still love the hell out of it. And fear the hell out of it.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    445 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    The viper GTS was my first car love... before i even had a general interest in cars. It was THE car in the original Gran Turismo.

I've always liked the car for what it is: a fire spitting symbol of American excess. Its motto is, "Moderation is for pussies."

But, now i see it for what it is, which is overall kind of meh. You give any car 400 hp and itll be fast (i.e. zhong ). The viper doesnt jive with my philosophy, which is to do more with less. The viper does more with more.

But i still love the hell out of it. And fear the hell out of it.
    The Viper does have more (engine & tire size) as well as less (no TCS, ABS, AWD, OHC, electronics, etc...). IMO it's a true 'drivers' car because it can perform quite well when driven by someone with talent; and it requires the correct inputs since it does exactly what you tell it to. According to your philosophy, you should love the Viper and hate all of the electronic-controlled diffs, suspension, torque vectoring, awd, etc... of many of the current sports/supercars: 12C, 458, GT3, GTR, etc...
    redtopz likes this.

Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    The Viper does have more (engine & tire size) as well as less (no TCS, ABS, AWD, OHC, electronics, etc...). IMO it's a true 'drivers' car because it can perform quite well when driven by someone with talent; and it requires the correct inputs since it does exactly what you tell it to. According to your philosophy, you should love the Viper and hate all of the electronic-controlled diffs, suspension, torque vectoring, awd, etc... of many of the current sports/supercars: 12C, 458, GT3, GTR, etc...
    I don't think anything weighing over 2,800 lbs will ever be given the golden seal of "less is more" by me, no matter how many other things it lacks. The viper has a 10 cyl truck motor in it. It's heavy because the steel chassis had to fit that (awesome) monstrosity. The wheels had to be (awesome) large to put the power down, and fit giant slabs of steel to absorb the arduous task of slowing this 3,300lbs thing down. It'll eat through consumables faster than hamsters eat their young.

That said, I still like--nay, love-- plenty of heavy-weight cars, Viper included. I admit, your description of it as a driver's car makes me want to drive one now.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    445 times

I don't think anything weighing over 2,800 lbs will ever be given the golden seal of "less is more" by me, no matter how many other things it lacks. The viper has a 10 cyl truck motor in it. It's heavy because the steel chassis had to fit that (awesome) monstrosity. The wheels had to be (awesome) large to put the power down, and fit giant slabs of steel to absorb the arduous task of slowing this 3,300lbs thing down. It'll eat through consumables faster than hamsters eat their young.

That said, I still like--nay, love-- plenty of heavy-weight cars, Viper included. I admit, your description of it as a driver's car makes me want to drive one now.
    Sounds like you didn't read the article

And there aren't many sports cars left in the world that weigh under 2,800lbs and those that do, typically dont have more than 300hp.

Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Sounds like you didn't read the article

And there aren't many sports cars left in the world that weigh under 2,800lbs and those that do, typically dont have more than 300hp.
    I always read your stuff, Billy, but I was at work and only had time to muse about my long relationship with the Viper. Now that I've added read it, OK, so not a truck motor [citation needed]. It's still near 700 lbs. That's heavier than my motorcycle, with me on it, after a particularly heavy BBQ dinner.

The viper is slightly faster than a Lotus Exige, but slower than a Caterham R500, both having much less than 300hp, and both qualifying as doing more with less. While it's true that the number of cars fitting my particular definition of "less is more" are diminishing, the definition remains the same, for now. Based on your article, I agree the Viper is a driver's car. But driver's car =/= less is more. To wit: my first car was a 1997 Nissan Sentra. It had less of everything, but it was not fun to drive despite weighing the same as an NB Miata.

To phrase my thoughts differently: what would Colin Chapman say of the Viper?
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    445 times

40% more weight and 30% more displacement than a LS3 isn't terrible. Everyone has their own desires and differences and there is nothing wrong with that. I like super light cars too so a formula ford or f2000 would be an even better example of less is more. For me I enjoy managing torque and "walking" cars off corners and dollar for dollar a used GTS is hard to beat. I'd like to see someone build a GTS TA car which could be quite potent and easy to make very fast.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    445 times

Hey Guys, here's:

Project Viper GTS: Part 2 - General Maintenance

"Before thoroughly enjoying the purchase of a used performance car, it’s important for the enthusiast to go through some routine maintenance items. We prepare our 1997 Viper to be driven by changing the oil, coolant, spark plugs, wires, and go through a few miscellaneous items. We then install an aftermarket temperature gauge to monitor how hot the V10 operates and to test the accuracy of the factory gauge."

Project Viper GTS: Part 2 - General Maintenance > MotoIQ - Automotive Tech, Project Cars, Performance & Motorsports

Enjoy!
    robburgoon likes this.

Liked
    742 times

I should buy a Viper.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    445 times

I should buy a Viper.
    They are a LOT of fun. Pretty much a big Miata/S2000 but with TORQUE! I just tracked it and will post another article/video.

Liked
    445 times

Hey Guys, here's:

Project Viper GTS: Part 3 - Baseline Track Testing (Data & Video)

"The Viper has a reputation for being difficult to drive and even (incorrectly) known as a bad handling car. Since the 2nd Generation Viper has not been reviewed by a magazine in close to 15 years, we took Project Viper to the track to dispel some myths and asses the car’s balance and handling ability."

Project Viper GTS: Part 3 - Baseline Track Testing (Data & Video)

Enjoy!
    JJ1 likes this.

Liked
    742 times

Enjoyed myself. 10/10, would read again.

How much is Dodge paying you to sell Vipers?
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    445 times

Thanks Seth.

Lol, I wish. I'm enjoying reviewing and discussing the Viper in detail since its a car i've always been fond of and there really isn't a whole lot of info on the car. It's fun to be putting out some condensed 3rd party information on the car out to the world (or the handful of people who read it, haha).

Liked
    135 times

I really need to stop reading these articles. Im going to wind up with a "bargain" of a viper that ill somehow have to explain to my wife.
    JJ1 likes this.

Liked
    445 times

Hey Guys, here's:

Project Viper GTS: Part 4 – Baseline Dyno and K&N Intake Test

"The Viper is truly a car built around its engine. In Part 4, we take Project Viper GTS to the dyno for a baseline power audit and see if our mighty 8.0L V10 is cranking out the factory claimed 450hp and 490lb-ft of torque. From there we add K&N replacement air filters and change out the disruptive corrugated plastic intake tubing for a set of ROE Racing polished aluminum smooth intake tubes to see if we can squeeze out a few more ponies."

Project Viper GTS: Part 4 ? Baseline Dyno and K&N Intake Test

Enjoy!

Liked
    445 times

Hey Guys, here's the next installement:

Project Viper GTS: Part 5 – Radiator Fan & Wiring Upgrade

"The Viper is a “racecar for the street” in more ways than one; and like a racecar, it does not like to sit in stop and go traffic and can run hot and overheat without proper airflow on a hot summer day. To combat this we upgraded the radiator fan on our 1997 Viper GTS with the higher flowing, larger fan from the 1998-2002 cars. In addition, we safeguarded the potentially flawed wiring and relay box by running standalone relays with dedicated power and ground wires. To further extend the life of the relays we used a trick pair of “NOsparc®” spark suppressors in the harness."

In the article:

- Fan removal & installation
    - 1996-1997 vs. 1998-2002 Fan analysis
    - Stock & modified fan wiring schematics
    - How to wire a standalone power, ground, and relays
    - How to make a MIL-spec wiring harness
    - NOsparc arc suppressors - to eliminate arcing and increase longevity of relay contacts.

Project Viper GTS: Part 5 - Radiator Fan & Wiring Upgrade > MotoIQ - Automotive Tech, Project Cars, Performance & Motorsports

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Stuntman; 09-14-2015 at 10:47 AM.
    bawareca and SDSUsnowboards like this.

Liked
    742 times

I learned something about fan shrouds today. The though of flaps never occurred to me. That's neat.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast