+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: What's decent welder for the enthusiast

Liked
    1413 times

Tanks are heavy. I have the 5ft bottles for TIG and 3ft bottles for MIG. You guys want the 3ft bottles because you are sharing and moving all that equipment among you. Another thing you can do is have 220 plugs of different types that you can use at the racetrack. Set the miller up for fluxcore when you go to the track then you won't have to bring bottles. I broke my steering rack at CoTA 2 weeks ago in a corvette and could not find a rack available instantly within 100miles in TEXAS! Amazing. So I just fluxcored the steel ears on the rack and it got me through 2 races and is still holding. Flux is good stuff. It is how Steel buildings are welded. It ain't pretty and it isn't clean but it makes perfect track side repairs..
    last year at the Mid-Ohio Runoffs our friend crashed his neon racecar. He got a front end to radiator core support at the junk yard and Lewis's crew chief welded it back on in the paddock. He got to race! A welder trackside is a good thing!
    Last edited by fatbillybob; 04-07-2017 at 04:54 PM.
    Red_5 likes this.

Liked
    35 times

Eric, I think you are supposed to make your welder cart as your first project, not buy it.
    robburgoon and 2GRX7 like this.
    1990 S2 SuperMiata

Liked
    682 times

Quote Originally Posted by albertg View Post
    Eric, I think you are supposed to make your welder cart as your first project, not buy it.
    I have too much else to do first. Maybe I'll try to fabricate a welding table instead.
    2GRX7 and albertg like this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    682 times

After spending way too much time thinking about it, I finally settled on a 141 cu ft cylinder from my local Praxair. Empty cylinder was $300, fill was $55 add tax and fees it was $396 total. At Praxair the 141 cu ft cylinder was $50 more than the next size down 90 cu ft. 90 cu ft bottles are $40 or $45 to fill so I figured I'd get the bigger bottle and pay less for gas over time. The 141 bottle is the same diameter as the 90 just taller and it seems to fit well in the Miller cart.

Man, this welding thing is expensive to get started!
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    111 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    After spending way too much time thinking about it, I finally settled on a 141 cu ft cylinder from my local Praxair. Empty cylinder was $300, fill was $55 add tax and fees it was $396 total. At Praxair the 141 cu ft cylinder was $50 more than the next size down 90 cu ft. 90 cu ft bottles are $40 or $45 to fill so I figured I'd get the bigger bottle and pay less for gas over time. The 141 bottle is the same diameter as the 90 just taller and it seems to fit well in the Miller cart.

Man, this welding thing is expensive to get started!
    141 cu ft new/filled here in Orlando = $211.00! Refills = $20.00 at Matheson Gas! I know Matheson is over there in LA as I used them religiously over the Airgas/Praxairs. Seriously, may want to consider heading down to L.A. and visit friends while getting that tank refilled- even with the So. Cal lux tax, that 20bux you save can go in the gas tank (That's, what, 3-5 gal?).

Also try these guys;

Mobile Industrial Supply

After finding these smaller shops, I couldn't help but think that the guys at the local AirGas location were nickering behind my back after every sale!
    Last edited by 2GRX7; 04-19-2017 at 06:39 AM.
    Red_5 and bawareca like this.

Liked
    682 times

^^Wow, that's really cheap. Cyberweld.com was selling 80 cu ft cylinders full for about $250 so I figured this price wasn't horrible considering they're the only game in town. Plus Praxair doesn't seem to have an 80 cu ft size but I could have missed that. I'll look into having the tank filled elsewhere but I'm not sure it will be worth the trouble. I'd like to get a pure argon tank at some point too for MIG welding aluminum.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2