+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: What kind of tools do you take?

Liked
    135 times

My car while rarely street driven is still driven to and from the track 80% of the time.

My packing list varies with my entry fee ante and distance traveled. For single track days, where im driving the car to and from, i limit my carry to:

A sparsely packed tool roll (sockets, box ends, pliers, dikes, allens, flashlight, utility knife, multi-screw driver, breaker bar, wheel flip socket). I use a tool roll so i can spot missing items quickly at the end of the day and it doesnt bang around when driving.
    2 jackstands (if i need 4, someone else will have 2)
    Small aluminum jack
    torque wrench
    12v inflator
    2 tire gauges
    DVOM w/ tire temp probe
    TAPE (duct, masking, cassette)
    1qt Brake fluid
    1 spare set brake pads
    2 qts oil
    big hammer -- 2lb sledge (used as wheel chock, straightening bent wheels...whatever. Has more uses than you think)
    Hat
    sunblock
    water
    occasionally 1 folding chair. I do a lot of wandering and not much sitting at most events between sessions.

All of that along with my helmet, hans etc fit into the trunk of my S2000 with plenty of room extra

AAA card for when the above isnt enough...

If im trailering i up my game a little since im going for multiple days and ill bring more tools and maybe some other parts since i dont want to lose the entire weekend over something stupid. My usual rule is i draw a 200 mile circle around my house. Outside that I trailer.

If im going to a lemons weekend with the lemons car, i literally will put my entire toolbox in the back of the truck along with TONS of parts, sometimes a donor motor etc. it depends on what youre going for.....

Liked
    1413 times

Quote Originally Posted by ETK View Post
    That is definitely packing light, but you gotta love the THQ definition of nothing. Oh, I bet you brought an aluminum floor jack too, right?
    Nope. Jackstands are for emergency. I have on board airjacks. Trailer has full shop but sae. I'm mostly metric

Liked
    4 times

Thank you guys for the responses and the humor.

Other than fixing this, do any of you guys make actual adjustments to the car?
    I know time is expensive, but depending on the event there is sometimes 1.0 hr or so between sessions. That would be enough to change camber or toe? or lower / raise the car?
    going back to a car that is corner balanced, and you need to raise the whole car .5" can't you just move the perches in relation to what they are? Maybe ride height is one of those things you do not touch?

I have tire temp gauge. But I find no use for it. By the time I get out of the car in the paddock, the tires have already cooled off - or gotten warmer (from what I was told). So all I am doing is comparing temps across the tire but then again that probably will not tell me much.

Liked
    4 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Nope. Jackstands are for emergency. I have on board airjacks. Trailer has full shop but sae. I'm mostly metric
    I really want that in my car.. but that is a big commitment to that chassis and expensive inst it?

Liked
    4 times

"AAA card for when the above isnt enough..." Winner !!

Liked
    69 times

I almost picked up a set of used air jacks for 700 bucks once, but I was 20 minutes too late.
    1:46.3X @ BRP CW13 - 11/12/15 (400 whp, TD )
    1:26.82 @ WSIR - 10/12/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:22.7X @ SOW CW - 7/31/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:21.6X @ SOW CCW - 7/30/14 (400whp, Nt01)
    2:00.01 @ CVR CW - 9/28/13 (350whp, RS3)
    1:48.22 @ ACS - 11/23/13 (400whp, RS3)

Liked
    2183 times

Quote Originally Posted by FoxSTI View Post
    Thank you guys for the responses and the humor.

Other than fixing this, do any of you guys make actual adjustments to the car?
    I know time is expensive, but depending on the event there is sometimes 1.0 hr or so between sessions. That would be enough to change camber or toe? or lower / raise the car?
    going back to a car that is corner balanced, and you need to raise the whole car .5" can't you just move the perches in relation to what they are? Maybe ride height is one of those things you do not touch?

I have tire temp gauge. But I find no use for it. By the time I get out of the car in the paddock, the tires have already cooled off - or gotten warmer (from what I was told). So all I am doing is comparing temps across the tire but then again that probably will not tell me much.
    I think you meant a pyrometer. make sure it is a needle type, not infrared type. they do work. don't do a cool off lap (or if you must cool off your turbo, don't slow down in corners, but back off on the straight). bring pyrometer with you, pull into hot pit or immeidiately after exiting the track, jump out and take your reading. that IS what you used to adjust your camber, tire pressure.

nothing wrong with raising or lower the car, just be aware it messes up your corner balance. but then, nothing wrong changing corner balance. many drivers do that, every track likes different corner balance. 50/50 isn't the best.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    16 Cruze, free car !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    4 times

Quote Originally Posted by Johns_EvoIXSE View Post
    I almost picked up a set of used air jacks for 700 bucks once, but I was 20 minutes too late.
    wow that would have been nice.

Liked
    4 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    I think you meant a pyrometer. make sure it is a needle type, not infrared type. they do work. don't do a cool off lap (or if you must cool off your turbo, don't slow down in corners, but back off on the straight). bring pyrometer with you, pull into hot pit or immeidiately after exiting the track, jump out and take your reading. that IS what you used to adjust your camber, tire pressure.

nothing wrong with raising or lower the car, just be aware it messes up your corner balance. but then, nothing wrong changing corner balance. many drivers do that, every track likes different corner balance. 50/50 isn't the best.
    Yes that is what I have. I guess the trick is to get off fast.
    thank you

Liked
    1413 times

Quote Originally Posted by FoxSTI View Post
    I really want that in my car.. but that is a big commitment to that chassis and expensive inst it?
    I'm lazy! It is just another cost you can't justify to a wife.

IMO if you race local you should have time to do good prep. Good prep means nothing breaks. However consistently winning means you have to constantly tweek stuff to make the car "one" with the track. Personally, I prep for reliability and I look for places to go fishing. Then I show up and race.
    Last edited by fatbillybob; 06-27-2017 at 07:51 PM.
    GraemeD likes this.

Liked
    532 times

I'm definitely the only tool I can afford to bring.

Steve
    Olitho likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2