+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: What kind of tools do you take?

Liked
    4 times

Default What kind of tools do you take?

what tools do you guys take to the track?
    I am just curious.

Camber gauge, scales, raceramps?
    how to you keep it all safe?

Liked
    682 times

Do you have a trailer? When I first started I just brought a chair, 2 jack stands, a jack, tire pressure gauge, extra engine oil, torque wrench and some other basic tools - whatever I could fit in a Miata. Then a got an open trailer and started to bring lots more tools and extra tires and wheels. Then I got an enclosed trailer and pretty much brought everything and I usually slept in it.

Generally speaking the people who go to the track are pretty honest. I still lock things up over night but generally I wasn't too worried during the day. If something was stolen from me it wasn't enough to be too concerned. Sure you hear about stuff getting stolen and there are always crappy people but if you're reasonably smart about it things don't tend to walk away from the paddock. It's also helpful to be surrounded by friends.
    ETK likes this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2183 times

Quote Originally Posted by FoxSTI View Post
    park next to Porsche guys. no thief will look through your stuffs then.
    ucfbrett, ETK and anorexicpoodle like this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    16 Cruze, free car !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    4 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    park next to Porsche guys. no thief will look through your stuffs then.
    hahaha, yeah for sure.

- Okay, so I was thinking of the same thing "we are all there for the same reason - to have fun, and everyone has their stuff etc" But there are those who just come to "look".
    I have just been bringing a chair and a small tool box and laptop (to download the logs), but as I am starting to get more into it I want to make sure I have a little bit of everything I may need.
    My buddy, it seems like the bring this while tool collection ( I am exaggerating a little bit).

The problem is, I don't have a trailer and him and I run the same sessions. We usually go alone, wife's aren't into it, and I don't usually want to bring anyone else because they will get bored and that will cause stress I don't need (now I am worried this person is bored and now having a good time)
    I was thinking of getting a tool box where I can place my impact and sockets etc that is lockable. Maybe even using one of those Milwaukee "ticks"

I was thinking of bringing my ramps, but I think I will invest in two small jacks and bring some jack stands since most of the time if I need to lift the car it will be to adjust the suspension right?

Liked
    723 times

IIRC your car is a dual-purpose car, yes? The car should be ready for HPDEs when you arrive or need minimal prep, plan accordingly. The only tools I bring fit in a small bag and contain the tools commonly used to repair my car. The rest of the contents are basic repairs that would allow me to make fast repairs to get the car home. If you need to bring a bunch of stuff, you may want to consider what your goals are doing this activity or really consider what your priorities should be. IF your car needs that much equipment to drive in an HPDE, you may also want to consider a simpler car or buying a truck and renting/buying a trailer to tow it to and from events.
    fiftyunofifty likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    4 times

Hi there. no, my car is not dual purpose - while still far from a real race car, but its growing with me.
    I get what you are saying.

since I will be running street tires for now (threadwear 200) All I really plan to do is be able to jack the car up to adjust coilovers (lower car a tiny bit if needed) or check camber.
    I know that only a car is corner balanced, you just can do adjusting ride height just like that track side.

a trailer is not is on the near future for now. But I am getting a good idea of how to approach this.

Liked
    2183 times

Hi there. no, my car is not dual purpose - while still far from a real race car, but its growing with me.
    I am gonna poo poo on the car, STI while a great street car, they tend to go kaboom on track once you are fast. it is a question of when.

btw, saying just 200TW tire don't mean much now. new gen of 200TW is faster than most R-Comp 100TW today, and wears faster.

track theft, while not common, is a real thing. It is best to have track friends (you will), and watch out for each other.
    robburgoon, markn and FoxSTI like this.
    16 Cruze, free car !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    682 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post

track theft, while not common, is a real thing. It is best to have track friends (you will), and watch out for each other.
    Ah, so that's where all of my Miata sized wrenches went . . .
    FoxSTI likes this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    723 times

I get what you are saying.

since I will be running street tires for now (threadwear 200) All I really plan to do is be able to jack the car up to adjust coilovers (lower car a tiny bit if needed) or check camber.
    I know that only a car is corner balanced, you just can do adjusting ride height just like that track side.

a trailer is not is on the near future for now. But I am getting a good idea of how to approach this.
    When you corner balance a car, then start adjusting the heights after that, the car is no longer corner balanced.
    bellwilliam, SteveLevin and FoxSTI like this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    1423 times

drinking water, jack, jackstand, high temp brake fluid, bleeding hose, wrenches, torque wrench, sockets, and pliers. That will go a long way.
    FoxSTI likes this.

Liked
    2109 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    drinking water, jack, jackstand, high temp brake fluid, bleeding hose, wrenches, torque wrench, sockets, and pliers. That will go a long way.
    Or park next to Burgoon.....
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    69 times

Check out this tool box. Really good for being portable, and will easily fit in your trunk along with everything else, and has enough compartments for "almost" everything you need. Won't fit power tools. This is one of the only ones with four drawers. Most have three.

Sears.com

You basically need the tools to make small general repairs, rotate / remove / replace wheels, change brake pads, and IMO do these things quickly because track time is expensive. So that means being organized so you can find tools fast, and battery powered tools (portable impact and 3/8" battery powered ratchet) (save your energy for driving). No one likes skipping sessions.

To go a step further, tire temp probe, alignment tools (toe plates / digital camber gauge), spares of parts that are known to fail for your car, which in your case a Subaru, is a pre-assembled engine block.
    Last edited by Johns_EvoIXSE; 06-26-2017 at 03:45 PM.
    bellwilliam and FoxSTI like this.
    1:46.3X @ BRP CW13 - 11/12/15 (400 whp, TD )
    1:26.82 @ WSIR - 10/12/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:22.7X @ SOW CW - 7/31/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:21.6X @ SOW CCW - 7/30/14 (400whp, Nt01)
    2:00.01 @ CVR CW - 9/28/13 (350whp, RS3)
    1:48.22 @ ACS - 11/23/13 (400whp, RS3)

Liked
    2217 times

I bring a lot to the track, but when I was driving to and fro in the same car, I didn't bring much at all, but I had a Miata, which has a small trunk. An STI, however, allows you to bring more.

- Small jack stands. Harbor Freight sells a decent set for cheap.
    - Full set of sockets, box wrenches, screwdrivers, dikes, pliers, channel locks, etc.
    - Wide-brim hat and sunscreen
    - EZ Up or some manmade form of shade
    - Chair
    - Lots of water
    - Trail mix
    - Cordless impact wrench
    - Torque wrench

I bring my whole top box these days, and it's set up to be the race-weekend box. My big tool box has stuff I only use at home. Done right, all of the above should fit in your trunk.

Liked
    195 times

Beer. The most versatile of all tools. Good days and bad, it's a welcome sight when the cars are parked and the beers pop.
    emilio700 likes this.

Liked
    2217 times

Oh, and beer. Forgot about that.

Liked
    1413 times

what tools do you guys take to the track?
    I am just curious.

Camber gauge, scales, raceramps?
    Well prepped C5Z06 needs nothing. I left in January for an East Coast swing with final race as the Runoffs at Indianapolis Motor speedway. I left with one set of rotors , 2 sets of front brake pads, torque wrench, tire guage, jack stands, oil filter, 150 piece socket set , and a couple of weird sized things like T55 and hub socket and 2 extra sets of wheels

Liked
    2183 times

Quote Originally Posted by SeanB View Post
    Beer. The most versatile of all tools. Good days and bad, it's a welcome sight when the cars are parked and the beers pop.
    yeap, it is the best barter. walk up to someone with a Snap On impact gun and trade it for a cold beer. works every time.
    16 Cruze, free car !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2267 times

If everyone calls you a tool, do you need to bring anything to the track?

Asking for a friend
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

ETK
    Liked
    106 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Well prepped C5Z06 needs nothing. I left in January for an East Coast swing with final race as the Runoffs at Indianapolis Motor speedway. I left with one set of rotors , 2 sets of front brake pads, torque wrench, tire guage, jack stands, oil filter, 150 piece socket set , and a couple of weird sized things like T55 and hub socket and 2 extra sets of wheels
    That is definitely packing light, but you gotta love the THQ definition of nothing. Oh, I bet you brought an aluminum floor jack too, right?
    2002 Porsche 911 Targa
    1967 GTV
    1991 Mazda SuperMiata - Junior
    2008 350z - Sold

FastInFastOut.com

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    338 times

You only need two things:

beer.jpg

cc.jpg

The beer is to bribe others to work on your car or loan tools/parts. The credit card is a last resort when the beer runs out. BTW beer is never safe when other racers are around.

Mark
    Last edited by markn; 06-26-2017 at 08:16 PM.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast