• 1 Post By robburgoon
  • 3 Post By fatbillybob
  • 1 Post By bawareca
  • 1 Post By Red_5

Thread: Plasma cutter thread

Liked
    729 times

Default Plasma cutter thread

I have no idea what I'm looking for but I think I want a plasma cutter. Any tips/thoughts would be appreciated.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    73 times

I have a 24" x 24" that I purchased about 1.5 years ago and I think I'd now be lost without it. It is an AMAZING tool if you do fabrication work. There's a bit of a learning curve to get set-up right - especially torch height and speeds, but after that, it is simply an awesome tool to have.

Mine is a Baileigh P22 and I purchased through Summit Racing just because I knew and trusted Summit if I was to have and issues with the unit arriving in pieces or something. It has a water bed and I typically keep the water level about 1/2" below the material. You can literally reach in and pick up the part as soon as it is cut. As you can tell, I really love the machine!!

OP, I'm in Santa Clarita and you are welcome to pop by some weekend if you want to check it out.
    Red_5 likes this.

Liked
    1450 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    I have no idea what I'm looking for but I think I want a plasma cutter. Any tips/thoughts would be appreciated.
    I know what you mean. I have absolutely no idea what I would use it for, but I really really want a plasma cutter anyway.
    Red_5 likes this.

Liked
    1643 times

I have a nice esab cutter for sale with its own mini cart for $600 bucks. What you want is something that reliably cuts metal small enough to keep out of its own way. Hence the cart. It is amazing how fast you can cut and how many uses you find for it. The cheap hft cutters don't last. You want esab, hypertherm, miller or lincoln.
    robburgoon, Red_5 and bawareca like this.

Liked
    73 times

Ooops, my bad. When you said plasma cutter, I read CNC Plasma Table. Probably not what you are looking for! For the record, we do quite a bit of fabrication and other than the CNC Plasma Table (which get used a LOT), I will seldom have a need for a plasma cutter. Where we DO use an inexpensive (Harbor Freight) plasma cutter is to cut out the metal door panels when we're building a Miata. The little plasma cutter is ideally suited to this task. It takes about 5 minutes to cut out the entire panel and another 5-10 minutes with a flapper disc to smooth everything out. Prior to the plasma cutter, we'd use a cut-off wheel and this was an absolute pain in the ass compared to doing it with the plasma.

Liked
    683 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    I have a nice esab cutter for sale with its own mini cart for $600 bucks. What you want is something that reliably cuts metal small enough to keep out of its own way. Hence the cart. It is amazing how fast you can cut and how many uses you find for it. The cheap hft cutters don't last. You want esab, hypertherm, miller or lincoln.
    I am willing to buy this stuff from you.
    robburgoon likes this.

Liked
    729 times

Quote Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
    I have a 24" x 24" that I purchased about 1.5 years ago and I think I'd now be lost without it. It is an AMAZING tool if you do fabrication work. There's a bit of a learning curve to get set-up right - especially torch height and speeds, but after that, it is simply an awesome tool to have.

Mine is a Baileigh P22 and I purchased through Summit Racing just because I knew and trusted Summit if I was to have and issues with the unit arriving in pieces or something. It has a water bed and I typically keep the water level about 1/2" below the material. You can literally reach in and pick up the part as soon as it is cut. As you can tell, I really love the machine!!

OP, I'm in Santa Clarita and you are welcome to pop by some weekend if you want to check it out.
    Wow, that is cool. I think it's out of my price range but very cool. Do you have this at your home or at a business?
    Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    I know what you mean. I have absolutely no idea what I would use it for, but I really really want a plasma cutter anyway.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one.
    Can you tell me which model it is? I really don't know anything about them. What did you get to replace it?
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
    Ooops, my bad. When you said plasma cutter, I read CNC Plasma Table. Probably not what you are looking for! For the record, we do quite a bit of fabrication and other than the CNC Plasma Table (which get used a LOT), I will seldom have a need for a plasma cutter. Where we DO use an inexpensive (Harbor Freight) plasma cutter is to cut out the metal door panels when we're building a Miata. The little plasma cutter is ideally suited to this task. It takes about 5 minutes to cut out the entire panel and another 5-10 minutes with a flapper disc to smooth everything out. Prior to the plasma cutter, we'd use a cut-off wheel and this was an absolute pain in the ass compared to doing it with the plasma.
    Great info, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    Slow down there cowboy, give me a chance.

Liked
    1643 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    Cool! Maybe you can help me turn off the blasted brake light in an E90 when I see you next week or so.

Liked
    1643 times

Sorry Red you are second in line.

But hold on both of you. A good cutter is 220V so it has power to cut. This machine is 220V single phase. It can cut from zero to 5/8" and sever 3/4". So this is a pretty cool workhorse.
    If you only have 110V in your garage but access to 2 circuits you can make 220V single phase. So you guys either have to have 220V single phase already or willing to make it before you buy.

http://www.esabna.com/eu/literature/...f-15-696-d.pdf

Liked
    729 times

Sorry Red you are second in line.

But hold on both of you. A good cutter is 220V so it has power to cut. This machine is 220V single phase. It can cut from zero to 5/8" and sever 3/4". So this is a pretty cool workhorse.
    If you only have 110V in your garage but access to 2 circuits you can make 220V single phase. So you guys either have to have 220V single phase already or willing to make it before you buy.

http://www.esabna.com/eu/literature/...f-15-696-d.pdf
    I have 220, 221, whatever it takes . . .

https://youtu.be/iX3kxAA2L4Q

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/629f8d8...9-e8d337185f9c

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/629f8d8...9-e8d337185f9c
    Last edited by Red_5; 01-28-2018 at 04:11 PM.
    Olitho likes this.

+ Reply to Thread