• 1 Post By Sprinkles
  • 1 Post By Olitho
  • 1 Post By Force McCocken

Thread: hubcentric wheels with narrow spacers

Liked
    1433 times

Default hubcentric wheels with narrow spacers

Hey gents,

Anyone know the risks involved with using spacers too narrow to have a hubcentric lip for the wheel to sit on?

Rob

Liked
    2281 times

I'm a little unclear about what you mean by "too narrow to have a hub-centric lip," but the wheel spacers I use for two sets of wheels I have for my Spec Miata don't have a lip.

I have a set of gunmetal Team Dynamics wheels and a set of Kosei K1's that don't have the right offset, so I use spacers. I torque my wheels to 85 foot-pounds, and I've not had any trouble (knock wood).

The one pictured below is roughly the same as the spacers I use. This one looks thicker than mine, but the design is the same.

mcws_2_orig_1024x1024.jpg

Liked
    1433 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    I'm a little unclear about what you mean by "too narrow to have a hub-centric lip," but the wheel spacers I use for two sets of wheels I have for my Spec Miata don't have a lip.

I have a set of gunmetal Team Dynamics wheels and a set of Kosei K1's that don't have the right offset, so I use spacers. I torque my wheels to 85 foot-pounds, and I've not had any trouble (knock wood).

The one pictured below is roughly the same as the spacers I use. This one looks thicker than mine, but the design is the same.

Attachment 10811
    Imagine a spacer that's roughly as thick as the hub ring is tall. There's no way to machine a spacer that will have a ring since the ring would only be attached by a sliver of metal, like diagonally to the spacer.

But if you say that your car does fine without hubcentric rights, that's enough for me.

Liked
    670 times

It is not recommended. I use this guys with 5-7mm spacers:

Liked
    1556 times

Many aftermarket wheel makers make 1 blank and cut many patterns so that the same wheel for a vette might fit a mustang. They often are not hub centric and seem to be ok. A bunch of us vette racers are using such a wheel and their life and function were no differnt than oem or expensive ccw wheeels that are hub centric. That said a hub Centric wheel is always better but sometimes you get what you get. Using non-hubcentric is just one more reason to use a high quality stud like ARPs.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    41 times

We've been running with no hub centric boss on the front spacers with no issues for about 1.5 years. Initially I was concerned, but I put a dial indicator guage on the wheel and gave it a spin, 10 thou runnout, all good.

We are careful to do the wheel nuts up gradually, cross pattern and three passes, a bit like doing up a head. This centres the wheel, and it seems that the combination of the studs and the friction between spacer and wheel is sufficient to hold it in place.

The inside of the spacer is machined to an interference fit over the hub. Here's a pic:

Last edited by Sprinkles; 03-05-2017 at 05:43 PM.
    fatbillybob likes this.

Liked
    2221 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Using non-hubcentric is just one more reason to use a high quality stud like ARPs.
    I agree, that is why I use ARP studs. They are almost as hard as FatBillyBob.
    SteveLevin likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    670 times

20 something years ago we have had a problems with aftermarket wheels for BMW that turned out to be a center bore of the wheel bigger than the hub diameter. There was a vibration for window of 6-7 mph and the speed at which the vibration happens will change after removal/installation of the wheels. It may have been just a combination of factors, but I prefer to be hubcentric whenever possible.

Liked
    1433 times

It's odd. For how loosely a wheel sits on the hub ring, you'd think it wouldn't matter much once the lugs get torqued.

Liked
    670 times

It sits very tight on the BMWs, no idea about others.

Liked
    1556 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    It's odd. For how loosely a wheel sits on the hub ring, you'd think it wouldn't matter much once the lugs get torqued.
    That's a car specific design problem. On BMW's, my good vette wheels, porsche, and Ferrari wheels the wheels can actually be difficult to remove! Sometimes I have to leave one lug nut loose and beat on the tire to get it off. That just doesn't sound right...

Liked
    760 times

Daily use, not much issue if your lugs have tapered seats. You have to take more time to install and snug the wheel down in more steps to get it centered. I have done it on Miata's and a couple of Hondas. BMWs are really sensitive to it, from my experience.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    1433 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    Daily use, not much issue if your lugs have tapered seats. You have to take more time to install and snug the wheel down in more steps to get it centered. I have done it on Miata's and a couple of Hondas. BMWs are really sensitive to it, from my experience.
    Yeah, I noticed that when installing the wheels with the spacers in place.

Liked
    760 times

Some spacers can be made to replicate a centering ring integrated into them. It's a lot of material to lathe, but if it's peace of mind and ease of installation you want, it's the way to go.
    bawareca likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    41 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    It sits very tight on the BMWs, no idea about others.
    Same on the Suzuki, friction fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    Some spacers can be made to replicate a centering ring integrated into them. It's a lot of material to lathe, but if it's peace of mind and ease of installation you want, it's the way to go.
    Correct, I could have done this with ours, but instead of starting out with 20mm plate, I would have needed 30mm, lots of machining time as I only have a small lathe, more cost and wasted material. Great user name BTW!

+ Reply to Thread