+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dc2696

Thread: Data Acquisition - What's New or On The Horizon?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    790
    Liked
    245 times

    Default Data Acquisition - What's New or On The Horizon?

    I'm shopping for an affordable GPS-based data acquisition for my next race car. Before I spend the coin on an Aim Solo DL, I'd like to know what's available that competes with that in terms of price and features. Also, what's the word on newer systems becoming available within a year or so?

    I ask as the Aim Solo seems to have become the standard in good, affordable data acquisition but it's also getting a bit long in the tooth (around 6 years now?). There must be something new coming either from Aim or another company.

  2. #2
    Senior Member fatbillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    by the beach
    Posts
    1,958
    Liked
    1562 times

    Default

    I have no clue but do know one DL failing. The last I checked the DL would give full function with cars that had "CAN obd2" protocol after 2008. And even with CAN obd2 some cars would not provide full DL access for data. So whatever you car is check with AIM to find out what you can pull from the car. We had issues with this where the obd2 corvette C5 would give no data on DL and the C6 vetee would not either, and the later C6 vettes (with 2008 protocol OBD) would integrate with limited functionality.

  3. #3
    http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    540
    Liked
    360 times

    Default

    In general for AiM products the OBDII mapping (and the sometimes connection at the OBD port) should be avoided if there is an alternative ECU map. The OBDII Connection is there to provide primarily emissions related information so many times vehicle manufacturers limit the information on that connection to what is required to meet the emissions requirements. Hence the limited number of channels defined by the ‘generic’ OBDII map. Later ecus are much better in this regard. Connection to a different CAN bus (see appropriate AIM doc) and using a vehicle specific ecu mapping will typically provide far more information. Much of the time the vehicle specific ecu map cannot be used with the OBDII port connection and will require tapping the CAN bus elsewhere else in the vehicle harness. Lastly, a lot of ecus (C5 vette, NB Miata) are limited in speed and information available on the CAN bus forcing the use of external sensors for acquisition purposes.


    Solos use a rechargeable battery for power usually though there is a hardwire connection option. As always there are only so many charge cycles available before the battery fails. AiM will replace the battery if you send it in. The only other failure I have seen with the Solo is a failure to acquire satellites due to a GPS issue. AIM repaired that also.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

    Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

  4. #4
    Señor Member b3d3g1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    955
    Liked
    430 times

    Default

    I think Autosport Labs is doing some interesting things with their RaceCapture. They have an emphasis on telemetry broadcast but it is not required. New features being advertised all the time and it seems like an easier user interface from what I have seen. Reminds me of more of a megasquirt equivalent for data acquisition.

    https://www.autosportlabs.com/produc...apturepro-mk3/
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter
    2016 KTM 690 Duke - parked at the dealer

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    790
    Liked
    245 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markn View Post
    In general for AiM products the OBDII mapping (and the sometimes connection at the OBD port) should be avoided if there is an alternative ECU map. The OBDII Connection is there to provide primarily emissions related information so many times vehicle manufacturers limit the information on that connection to what is required to meet the emissions requirements. Hence the limited number of channels defined by the ‘generic’ OBDII map. Later ecus are much better in this regard. Connection to a different CAN bus (see appropriate AIM doc) and using a vehicle specific ecu mapping will typically provide far more information. Much of the time the vehicle specific ecu map cannot be used with the OBDII port connection and will require tapping the CAN bus elsewhere else in the vehicle harness. Lastly, a lot of ecus (C5 vette, NB Miata) are limited in speed and information available on the CAN bus forcing the use of external sensors for acquisition purposes.


    Solos use a rechargeable battery for power usually though there is a hardwire connection option. As always there are only so many charge cycles available before the battery fails. AiM will replace the battery if you send it in. The only other failure I have seen with the Solo is a failure to acquire satellites due to a GPS issue. AIM repaired that also.
    Mark, I heard a rumor of an Aim Solo2 coming on the market some time soon. Has Aim told you anything about this?

  6. #6
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,707
    Liked
    2356 times

    Default

    it is pretty sad that G2X, AIM Solo (and few other AIM models) and Traqmate all came out ~8 years ago. time when iPhone 3 was released.

    I've used all 3. G2X and AIM software sucks big time, someone must of came up with it in the last century. Traqmate software was great, but their hardware was definitely designed in the 80s. Traqmate company was also poorly run, my bet is owner probably a software guy that has no concept of hardware.

    you really don't learn much with AIM software, it is a complete joke compare to Traqmate (went out of business). I also bet AIM owner is a hardware guy, that had zero concept of what racers want.

    yeap, I am whining. This industry is so far archaic, I always wondered how they are still in business.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 10-05-2017 at 12:27 PM.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

  7. #7
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,217
    Liked
    717 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    it is pretty sad that G2X, AIM Solo (and few other models) and Traqmate all came out ~8 years ago. time when iPhone 3 was released.

    I've used all 3. G2X and AIM software sucks big time, someone must of came up with it in the last century. Traqmate software was great, but their hardware was definitely designed in the 80s. Traqmate company was also poorly run, my bet is owner probably a software guy that never has no concept of hardware.

    you really don't learn much with AIM software, it is a complete joke compare to Traqmate (went out of business). I also bet AIM owner is a hardware guy, that had zero concept of what racers want.

    yeap, I am whining. This industry is so far archaic, I always wondered how they are still in business.
    I completely agree. I loved my IQ3 data/dash but the Racepak software was only useable by engineers. I spent a decent amount of time watching Racepak how-to videos from their site and still never seemed to grasp it beyond the setup phase. My dash really became an expensive predictive lap timing dash.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  8. #8
    Member dc2696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Edmonton Alberta
    Posts
    45
    Liked
    13 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by b3d3g1 View Post
    I think Autosport Labs is doing some interesting things with their RaceCapture. They have an emphasis on telemetry broadcast but it is not required. New features being advertised all the time and it seems like an easier user interface from what I have seen. Reminds me of more of a megasquirt equivalent for data acquisition.

    https://www.autosportlabs.com/produc...apturepro-mk3/
    My friend has a RaceCapture, looks great on paper but he's had nothing but problems with it. Our Start/finish is about 15ft away from another section of track and its forever clocking him crossing S/F when he's on the other part of the track.
    b3d3g1 likes this.
    FE3 NA - NB2 SM - 6262 AP1

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts