+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Aim solo "how to"

Liked
    1285 times

Default Aim solo "how to"

This post is about life with AIM SOLO. Please feel free to post tips and tricks and how to's.

Liked
    1285 times

SOLO not recognised

The race studio software download from AIM is acutally 3 exe programs. RS2, RS analysis, and USBdriver. My laptop loaded the software prefectly but I chose the previous version of RS2 2.44.04. With this version my solo was recognised on plug in and the usb driver loaded fine. On my desktop I loaded the RS version 2.45.02 the latest. The program would not find my solo and windows wanted to load a driver that it could not find. I used the usb fix program to no avail. I then downloaded a program about 1/2way down the AIM download page that siad if RS does not work. Then is did some stuff that I don't understand but the usb was recognised and all appears to work now.

Liked
    1285 times

Entering new track maps?

AIM does not post trackmaps on their website. I do not know how some trackmaps appear on the solo. They got rediculous stuff plugging up your solo like european karting tracks. I asked the vendor to add westcoast tracks which he said he would do. That was only done for 2 westcoast tracks! Does anyone know how to find other westcoast tracks and how to get them into solo? My guess is that the vendor did not know how to use the new solo. I bet he loaded the tracks but they all did not take and he did not check because when Oli tried to add a new track it said "GPS full" If your solo comes back "GPS full" when trying to set new start finish line on new track that means you need to delete some tracks to make room for new tracks that you use.

Many vendors claim to have maps to load into solo. My recommendation is buy a solo from a westcoast guy if you race westcoast. They are more likely to know the tracks. Most Eastcoast guys have never heard of WSIR. Loading tracks is kind of a customer service thing to get you to buy the solo. It is a normal service everyone provides. When done well you have less headaches. Don't relive my pain.

When Oli used my solo he was able to build a trackmap on the ground of SOWS but there does not appear to be a way to name this track SOWS in the solo. The default name was 12/3/11 which is the date Oli made the map. Any ideas on how to change 12/3/11 to SOWS?

Liked
    1475 times

Carl -

Please figure all that out so that when my Solo DL arrives, I will just take advantage of your learning curve. Thanks.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1285 times

How to manipulate Race Studio:

AIM manual in the box is a waste of time.

Look on AIM download page and download

http://www.aimsports.com/software/do..._10010_eng.pdf

This is supposed to tell you how RS works

I'm sorry if this all seems too basic but I'm from the "dial" telephone generation. I hope this thread helps others.

Liked
    3 times

I've had the AiM Solo for a few weeks now.

Regarding maps. It took me a little bit to figure out how to load maps. You need to download GPS Manager from AiM's website. This is the program allows you to add and remove tracks from the Solo's internal memory. The AiM DB should have most tracks already in the system. I chose to only transfer tracks in CA and NV onto my Solo's internal memory. In the off chance I go to Oregon or something, I can quickly grab a new track.

gpsmanager.jpg

If the track you want is not in the database, it's easy to create a new one. You can use Google Earth to find the GPS coordinates of the start finish. You can also physically go to the start finish with your Solo in hand, and tell the unit you are there. Then, once you get home, you can have the software generate a track map based on the data you log at the track.
    Last edited by vantagesc; 12-12-2011 at 11:21 AM.
    F@ck likes this.
    '05 Lotus Elise
    '16 Porsche Cayman GT4

Liked
    1285 times

Vantagesc,

Thank you! You saved me lots of time! It works. Can you use this GPS manager program or somewhere else to set up split markers on say WSIR?

Liked
    3 times

I believe you can create splits in Race Studio, but I haven't tried it yet.
    '05 Lotus Elise
    '16 Porsche Cayman GT4

Liked
    1 times

I tried out my Solo this weekend and this is what I learned:

1) The manual is more advertising than instructional.

2) The Start/Finish line for my track (Harris Hill Road) was wrong. This can be fixed in GPS Manager or by taking the Solo to the starting line and going to the page that says "OK: Start GPS Marker" and pushing the "OK" button.

3) The accelerometers need to be calibrated. My first run had my lateral and longitudinal accelerations were about -3.5 G while at rest. They can be calibrated in Race Studio. Select "Device Calibration". I think you need to do this in the car. I didn't and ended up with about a .25G offset on one of the measurements.

4) The map Race Studio generated from my data had the corners numbered differently than they should be. I haven't figured out how to adjust that yet.

5) The predictive timing is very nice.

6) Exactly how slow I am.
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    29 times

Cool How to add and delete tracks

Hey guys I gave the info you need for adding and deleting tracks to your Solo units a while back here:

AIM GROUP BUY IS ON, Solo, Solo DL and Smarty Cam

Mark
    Last edited by markhs2; 12-20-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Liked
    1475 times

Mark, can you give your contacts at AiM the feedback from the group buyers that the "user manual" is useless and we need a real owners manual with detailed instructions on all operations of the Solo DL? Thanks.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    29 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Mark, can you give your contacts at AiM the feedback from the group buyers that the "user manual" is useless and we need a real owners manual with detailed instructions on all operations of the Solo DL? Thanks.
    Ok, I will let them know.
    The manual that they send out does pretty much take you through most of what you need. It's a bit confusing in places like the mistake on page 27 where it shows you a screen page of GPS Manger and is instructing you calling it Race Studio 2.

Liked
    29 times

Cool Solo info

Here's a couple of things to know:

Open GPS manager:
    * Click on options >Click on download latest AIM track database, This will add any new tracks they have added to your list.

* Click on Select Criteria and you can filter the list on the left by country and or the list on the right by type of track.

* 50 tracks is the max you can put on the Solo so have a few less that 50 so you can add a track or two onto the Solo manually at the track if you need to.

* Click on the New tab button at the top of the track list on the left. A window pops up for you to enter a track name and info. Click ok and your track will be added to the list and will also
    appear in the window below the list. You can go to google earth and get the Lat and Log of the start finish of the track you want and then add it to your Solo track list.

* You can also add the track start finish by going to the GPS window on the Solo go to the start finish line and press OK and this will set the Solo for that track. You need less than 50 tracks in the Solo track data base to do this.

AIM preloaded all the So Cal tracks onto the Solo units from the Group Buy
    Last edited by markhs2; 12-21-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Liked
    1 times

I emailed Jeff at Optimum Motorsports with some of my questions. Here's what he wrote.

About calibration:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    Accelerometer calibration has to be done through Race Studio, and it needs to be done with the SOLO mounted in the car. But here is the catch and related disclaimer—unlike a “normal” data logger, we can’t expect you to always mount it “square” to the 3 axis of the car so the lateral, longitudinal and vertical all line up. If you did, then you could calibrate the accelerometers and expect good data. If it is mounted like usual for a SOLO, tilted towards the driver and also up or down you will get some mixing of lat/long/vert. For example, if you have it in the middle of the car tilted towards the driver, a pure longitudinal acceleration acts on the SOLO at an angle so it looks like partially longitudinal and partially lateral. The further off of square you mount it, the worse the data gets. If you know all the angles you can do the math to correct it all, but it gets complicated. Luckily, for most uses the GPS calculated accelerations work well, and you can always use them as a sanity check.
    And numbering the corners on the track map:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    For the track maps, when creating it you have the option to modify the automatically generated segments by using the buttons in the bottom left. Divide puts a split at the cursor, Remove combines the segment the cursor is on with the one next to it. The button on the right changes the type of the segment. It’s a little confusing, but hitting that button will change that segment to what it says on the button; it isn’t telling you what it currently is. There are 3 types; Corner 1, Corner 2 (displayed as red and blue, usually red for right hand and blue for left hand), and Straight (green). Only Corner 1 and Corner 2 will get numbered. So chop the map up to match the official map and assign the segment types correctly, and everything should be numbered right.
    He also explained that the scaling and offset of the channels can be adjusted and you can use the GPS data to figure out how much. Here are screen shots of my data before and after he corrected it.

Before - you can see the lateral acceleration is inverted, and the longitudinal is offset about .2G
    before.png

After:
    after.png

Liked
    372 times

I know I am screwed when the dealer says "it's a little confusing"

Looks like my goal of plug and play will not be fulfilled with this timer.
    Loose Caboose likes this.

Liked
    3 times

I received a power point presentation on the very basic things to do in Race Studio. I will email the author to see if I can post it here. It's not much, but it's better than what AiM provides.

Race Studio isn't that hard to use once you learn a few basic functions. It doesn't generate the automatic views that Traqmate products do, but that's okay. Don't let it scare you off!
    Last edited by vantagesc; 12-23-2011 at 09:14 AM.
    '05 Lotus Elise
    '16 Porsche Cayman GT4

Liked
    1475 times

Brett, can you make this thread a sticky? Thanks.

Liked
    1285 times

Default Aim calibration

It seems that the solo should be calibrated while mounted in your car prior to use. This post was made to me by Jerry Austin who also is an AIM reseller and supports the product very well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<<<"FBB

You should only need to calibrate one time (I do not know why all come from Italy at around 4 G's. Do it in the mounted position, as that has a direct affect on G's. The SOLO has two different G measurements. One set is GPS driven and the other is internal. I have found that some Smarty Cameras do need occasional "re-calibration" but never need to re-calibrate the Pista dashes.

Liked
    299 times

So if I were to use a windshield mount, and if the angle of how its mounted is slightly off from how i did it when it was firsrt calibrated, i would still need to re-calibrate to make it accurate again right. Assuming I don't leave the windshield mount on windshield forever and will only put it on when i hit the tracks. So you would need Race Studio + Solo Unit to calibrate = laptop must be brought with you to the track. Well Im gonna bring mine anyways so i can look at data. Soo nevermind not really an inconvenience. Well maybe, 1 more thing I need to do before strapping in.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    1 times

Yes, you'll need to recalibrate it. That's what I did - calibrated it then put it in the car. I ended up with offsets of about .2 G.

And if I understood Jeff correctly, you'll get an offset on your accelerometer readings if the Solo isn't mounted perfectly square with the car. Since it probably won't be square (you'll want it angled so you can see it) you can compensate for the offsets in Race Studio by comparing the accelerometer graphs with the GPS graphs. You can see that in the 2 screen captures I posted above.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast