+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: What's your ideal daily driver / tow vehicle?

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    Porsche will get the diesel option in the Cayenne in 2013. It's still the same engine as the VW but you get a Porsche crest for the extra $10k.

Porsche Cayenne gains diesel option for 2013 - Autoweek
    I'm surprised the price difference isn't $25K for that crest.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I wonder,is VW going up or Porsche going down

Liked
    20 times

You get a $15K discount for the ugly factor. Touareg is *way* better looking than the Cayenne.

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by lemon19mmm View Post
    I am in the same market, surprised no one mentioned Nissan Armada and Trailblazer ss. There's a "nicer" version of Trailblazer ss which is Saab 97x aero, same ls2 engine and drive-train.
    Reviving this thread to see if anyone has any experience with Nissan Armadas especially as tow vehicles. It won't be used as a daily driver but needs to be able to carry 7 adults in reasonable comfort. Suburbans are out so are passenger vans. I know the Armadas are big but they seem to carry their size well and have plenty of tow capacity. Any other thoughts? I like the newer Durangos but I'll be shopping used and they haven't been around long enough.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    464 times

Reviving this thread to see if anyone has any experience with Nissan Armadas especially as tow vehicles. It won't be used as a daily driver but needs to be able to carry 7 adults in reasonable comfort. Suburbans are out so are passenger vans. I know the Armadas are big but they seem to carry their size well and have plenty of tow capacity. Any other thoughts? I like the newer Durangos but I'll be shopping used and they haven't been around long enough.
    If you get the Nissan. You'll need a big brake kit. That's it's biggest draw back.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gian View Post
    If you get the Nissan. You'll need a big brake kit. That's it's biggest draw back.
    Do you have anymore info on that? It looks like the 08 remodel got bigger brakes, are they still not up to the task?

Liked
    2165 times

Why is the Suburban out, but the Armada is "in?"
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Why is the Suburban out, but the Armada is "in?"
    I like Suburbans for this purpose but it's complicated.
    Last edited by Red_5; 07-14-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ My '03 Surburban that I bought from fatbillybob is a great tow vehicle and very comfortable, but I wouldn't want to use it as a daily driver because it has the 8.1 liter gas engine and fuel mileage is absolutely awful. Overall towing mileage is 9 mpg, and that's with a small enclosed V-nose trailer that weighs no more than 5,500 lbs. fully loaded. I don't know what city or hiway mileage without the trailer is, but not good.
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 07-14-2012 at 06:13 PM.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    977 times

9 mpg is not awful for the grapevine drive in a gasser.

Liked
    464 times

Do you have anymore info on that? It looks like the 08 remodel got bigger brakes, are they still not up to the task?
    Yeah, and now they are just adequate. Other then that they are great. If your trailer has brakes on both axles. It's not bad. But had more then a few people complain. One guy was towing a boat. Got cut off and rolled it. This could very easy have been the driver. But still alot of complaints.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    9 mpg is not awful for the grapevine drive in a gasser.
    Actually, 9 mpg was calculated overall mileage from WSIR to Sonoma, so just the last few miles up the grapevine coming off 138, and then a straight shot up 5 and into the bay area. Not much uphill.

Liked
    2283 times

If I remember correctly. Armada is. It a not reliable truck.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1486 times

^^^ My '03 Surburban that I bought from fatbillybob is a great tow vehicle and very comfortable, but I wouldn't want to use it as a daily driver because it has the 8.1 liter gas engine and fuel mileage is absolutely awful. Overall towing mileage is 9 mpg, and that's with a small enclosed V-nose trailer that weighs no more than 5,500 lbs. fully loaded. I don't know what city or hiway mileage without the trailer is, but not good.
    I never drove trying to max MPG and it was my daily driver. I loved that thing! Once you get used to the space it is hard to go back. The sub swalloed all my fishing and ski gear with room for passengers. The sub is only 10mpg average. 8.1L is a big motor and I would have bought another suburban if they had those or similar big motors. New subs can't hardly tow themselves. Think of driving the suburban as a war machine fighting the war in the middle east. The faster we use up the oil and return the middle east into the world's largest sandtrap the sooner the middle east will become insignificant in the world. Problems solved. Make no mistake the USA talks about fracking and clean coal and oil shale but the bottom line is for US national security we are going to buy resources from everywhere else first before the last drop of oil is burnt that comes from US soil. So drive that suburban in good health, help fight the war.

Liked
    1486 times

I think the most capable gasser suv's are the dodge durango's with 5.7 hemi. In a heartbeat I would buy a 2500 suburban with a duramax diesel. What does the government motors give us? The Chevy Volt.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    If I remember correctly. Armada is. It a not reliable truck.
    I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying that the Armadas are not reliable?

Liked
    1477 times

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying that the Armadas are not reliable?
    William's English grammar is not one of his greatest attributes.

Liked
    704 times

William's English grammar is not one of his greatest attributes.
    Well since he speaks more languages than I do, I'll let it go. His response is more likely the result of a quick iPhone use.

Liked
    704 times

A little more research shows that the Armada's front brake rotors went from 12.5" to 13.5" in early '06. They are currently 13.8" in front and 12.6 in the rear according to the Nissan website. Not sure if the brakes were improved in 08 or if the forum guys were sloppy with posting the sizes.

Liked
    1477 times

Well since he speaks more languages than I do, I'll let it go. His response is more likely the result of a quick iPhone use.
    He speaks more languages than I do too. That doesn't mean I can't rib him about it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast