+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: What's your ideal daily driver / tow vehicle?

Liked
    1478 times

I would never buy a Cayenne on general principles. Porsche shouldn't have ever made an SUV, or a 4-door sedan for that matter (someone really hit that Panamera with an ugly stick!).
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I would never buy a Cayenne on general principles. Porsche shouldn't have ever made an SUV, or a 4-door sedan for that matter (someone really hit that Panamera with an ugly stick!).
    All I care about is the best vehicle for the job. I don't give a rats ass who makes it.

Liked
    1478 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    All I care about is the best vehicle for the job. I don't give a rats ass who makes it.
    A used 2004 Cayenne for $25K is gonna be pretty ratty-ass.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    977 times

A used 2004 Cayenne for $25K is gonna be pretty ratty-ass.
    You would be surprised... los angeles cars & trucks - by owner classifieds "Cayenne" - craigslist

Liked
    716 times

My father-in-law has an 06 Cayenne S which came with a V8. It's been very reliable with the only issue is that it or he chews through tires. It's very comfortable with a nice interior. That being said, he says he'll replace it with a Touareg when the time comes.

An issue with the Trailblazer and Saab both is that believe you could only get them with a 4 speed auto. That sucks for towing.

I'm considering a Frontier again but who knows how many times I'll change my mind before buying.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    1433 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    My father-in-law has an 06 Cayenne S which came with a V8. It's been very reliable with the only issue is that it or he chews through tires. It's very comfortable with a nice interior. That being said, he says he'll replace it with a Touareg when the time comes.

An issue with the Trailblazer and Saab both is that believe you could only get them with a 4 speed auto. That sucks for towing.

I'm considering a Frontier again but who knows how many times I'll change my mind before buying.
    Most forms of tire chewing can be easily fixed if it has an adjustable suspension.

Liked
    1478 times

So this thread has been going for a while with 125+ posts and a lot of guys who tow their cars to the track have weighed in. It seems like there is no consensus at all. What is the answer to the OP?

Liked
    716 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Most forms of tire chewing can be easily fixed if it has an adjustable suspension.
    I think the bigger issue is the weight of the vehicle and he keeps buying the soft rubber tires the dealership recommends.
    So this thread has been going for a while with 125+ posts and a lot of guys who tow their cars to the track have weighed in. It seems like there is no consensus at all. What is the answer to the OP?
    My ideal vehicle isn't currently available but if I had to buy tomorrow it would either be a Nissan Frontier Crew cab long bed LE 4x4 or a GMC Sierra crew cab 5.3 4x4. Which ever one my wife likes better. We have a minivan for hauling people so I'd rather a truck than an SUV.

Liked
    1433 times

The answer I think is whatever you can get your hands on for cheap that won't break down and can safely handle your trailer and doesn't make you punch your dash on the way to work.

Until we get baby diesels, I don't think there any tow vehicle is going to be "great". I'd probably try to get a engine from this century for the better fuel economy.

Liked
    1433 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    I think the bigger issue is the weight of the vehicle and he keeps buying the soft rubber tires the dealership recommends.
    Official Ron White - You Can't Fix Stupid - YouTube

Liked
    716 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    While that's funny, it doesn't apply in this case. He's willing to spend the money to have the vehicle perform as advertised. He's not concerned hunting down the best bang for buck tire for his Porsche.

Liked
    1478 times

All I can say is that Ron White is funnier than Larry the Cable Guy, Bill Engval, and that other white trash fag put together.
    Blackbird likes this.

Liked
    7 times

I just caught this. The Cayenne's are amazingly cheap; 04-05 Cayenne Turbo with ~60k miles for $25k used. This was a $110k vehicle new! Some still have warranties, but can't imagine that these will be cheap to work on or fix once the warranty expires. Also hear they have a very low tongue weight tolerance on the factory hitch.
    Cayenne S may be a better choice, two of my friends had Cayenne Turbo before. One burns oil and the other lost tranny when towing a wrx with open trailer.

Liked
    670 times

Quote Originally Posted by lemon19mmm View Post
    Cayenne S may be a better choice, two of my friends had Cayenne Turbo before. One burns oil and the other lost tranny when towing a wrx with open trailer.
    And I can even imagine what the repairs would cost

Liked
    977 times

Also found out that there is a Nissan Pathfinder with the Titan 5.6 V8. Maybe the winner? Thinking either that or the 4runner at this point, but the V8 is a little weak in the Toyota.

Liked
    716 times

Also found out that there is a Nissan Pathfinder with the Titan 5.6 V8. Maybe the winner? Thinking either that or the 4runner at this point, but the V8 is a little weak in the Toyota.
    So if only you had read the first response in this thread, your shopping would be done. I learned a long time ago, listen to William, he's almost always right.
    WWWD?

Liked
    984 times

I don't think the engine is weak in the Toyota. I have a 2008 and it has gobs of torque. It's geared for towing as first and second gears are pretty low. It's also a body on truck frame suv (old school) with a single rear axle. It has diagonally cross referenced shocks to control body roll and optional rear air height adjustments. If I'm not driving my truck, I drive the toyota and it's quiet and handles like a car (2WD sport edition). Maybe I'll try towing my enclosed trailer with it this week just to see how it does.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    716 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    I don't think the engine is weak in the Toyota. I have a 2008 and it has gobs of torque. It's geared for towing as first and second gears are pretty low. It's also a body on truck frame suv (old school) with a single rear axle. It has diagonally cross referenced shocks to control body roll and optional rear air height adjustments. If I'm not driving my truck, I drive the toyota and it's quiet and handles like a car (2WD sport edition). Maybe I'll try towing my enclosed trailer with it this week just to see how it does.
    The current Pathfinders are also body on frame based on the Titan chassis. The generation before and the next gen were and will be unibodies.

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    Just looking at stats the Toyota is ~300ft/lb vs 390 in the Nissan. The Pathfinder is also a truck frame.

Liked
    2283 times

I have tow-tested the Cayenne S and the Touaregs, one with the same V8 as was in the Porsche and one with the diesel. All of them were far better than I expected. But they were brand-new vehicles. My first concern is always how the vehicle will age. Load-leveling independent rear suspensions are great, but they can be pricey to fix, and IRS SUVs are worthless—and borderline unsafe—as tow vehicles if the system doesn't work.

As I have said before, I prefer pickups for a couple of reasons 1) the passenger compartment is separate from the cargo area; I don't have to smell gas jugs and rubber on the way to and from the track, and 2) I can carry messy things in the bed (engine parts) and just hose it out when I get home; 3) bulletproof solid axle and leaf springs; 4) they are incredibly handy to have for everyday suburban life.

I have towed with the Tundra, Titan and all the domestics. Properly equipped, they all do the job well. Your choice inevitably will boil down to personal preference.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast