+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: What's your ideal daily driver / tow vehicle?

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Since uhaul doesn't have electric brake controller and most trailers are electric brakes. How do u handle that ?
    All the newer trucks are prewired for brake controller, just plug it in.

Liked
    7 times

I am in the same market, surprised no one mentioned Nissan Armada and Trailblazer ss. There's a "nicer" version of Trailblazer ss which is Saab 97x aero, same ls2 engine and drive-train.

Liked
    434 times

Im loving my 08 Expedition. 9500 lb cap, factory equip airbags, backup camera, seats 8. No issues DD.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Liked
    660 times

WOW,expedition good for a DD No wonder the "black gold" is ending quick.
    BTW,I really need a truck for my business,but there is no way I can ever adapt to the body movements and dynamics,let alone the gas mileage The ultimate station wagons are doing the job great-I can load even a complete engine(rear air self leveling),it is doing 20 MPG mixed(with my agressive driving),I travel in luxury and I can outrun,outbrake and outturn 95% of the cars on the road,and it has bigger brakes than most of the trucks.Unfortunately towing is no go here.Euro spec OEM hitch for that car is rated @ 5000lbs,aluminum trailer with a 2500 lbs and some spares shouldnt be more than 4000 lbs.
    And it really is a bummer.My X5 is just 1000 lbs heavier than the 528i and is rated @ 6000 lbs.
    Last edited by bawareca; 03-04-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Liked
    20 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    The member here with the Lotus 2-Eleven has a low profile aluminum enclosed trailer that he tows with an 09 Touareg TDI. They're rated at 7700 pounds still. You can easily find an enclosed trailer and race car to fit under that weight. As I mentioned earlier, they now have a 10 year 100k mile powertrain warranty.
    That would probably be me. Trailer and 2-Eleven together probably weigh less than 4,000lbs. Touareg has 407 lbft of torque. I can climb the Grapevine or Cajon Pass with the cruise control set to 70mph with no problem.

I still wouldn't touch a piece of junk Touareg (just to be clear, I meant reliability and durability). it will probably break down more than the race car... I would carry spares for Touareg in the enclosed trailer.
    have you priced out a low profile aluminum enclosed trailer ? it starts at $15k.
    Junk? I think not. I did have an EGR valve get jammed up and it put the Touareg in "limp mode" while I was towing. Inconvenient, but VW sent a flatbed to pick up the Touareg and fixed the EGR under warranty. Hey, sh!t happens.

The Touareg now has >40k miles... and that was the only problem. I get around 29mpg highway normally, and 19mpg towing an enclosed trailer... and we're talking about 65-70mph average speeds.

EDIT: The Touareg TDi is essentially a Porsche Cayenne with an VW/Audi diesel engine. The interior is more in line with Audi than VW, and the handling is pretty darn good for a 5,500 lb. SUV.
    Last edited by apk919; 03-05-2012 at 12:39 AM.

Liked
    2214 times

When I tow to Road America, Heartland Park, Mid-Ohio, et al with my Chevy 3500 and 12,000+ pound trailer I average about 80 when I get out of California. There are a couple of stretches of highway 15 in Utah with 85 MPH speed limits (even with a trailer) and there I am pulling between 85 and 90 MPH. In 100,000 plus towing miles on that truck it has not been stopped for so much as a fuse. That's diesel torque baby!
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    977 times

Cool story, but would you drive the 3500 daily? I tried that years ago and it was miserable.

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    When I tow to Road America, Heartland Park, Mid-Ohio, et al with my Chevy 3500 and 12,000+ pound trailer I average about 80 when I get out of California. There are a couple of stretches of highway 15 in Utah with 85 MPH speed limits (even with a trailer) and there I am pulling between 85 and 90 MPH. In 100,000 plus towing miles on that truck it has not been stopped for so much as a fuse. That's diesel torque baby!
    I just received a speeding ticket towing my trailer on the way to WSIR. Cruising down in the slow lane on Hwy 99 in the middle of nowhere a highway patrol pulls me over and writes me up for 60 mph in a 70 mph speed limit area. But we can only tow 55 mph . I daily drive my 1 ton truck but it's not a dually. I couldn't daily drive a dually.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    708 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    I just received a speeding ticket towing my trailer on the way to WSIR. Cruising down in the slow lane on Hwy 99 in the middle of nowhere a highway patrol pulls me over and writes me up for 60 mph in a 70 mph speed limit area. But we can only tow 55 mph .
    Wow, that guy was bored. I would think 60 is in the safe zone for towing, I'll be sure to keep it slow.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    708 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Cool story, but would you drive the 3500 daily? I tried that years ago and it was miserable.
    I agree. I think I might not enjoy driving even a 1500 daily but it might have to happen.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by apk919 View Post
    Junk? I think not. I did have an EGR valve get jammed up and it put the Touareg in "limp mode" while I was towing. Inconvenient, but VW sent a flatbed to pick up the Touareg and fixed the EGR under warranty. Hey, sh!t happens.
    Any tow vehicle that has to be towed is junk.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    Wow, that guy was bored. I would think 60 is in the safe zone for towing, I'll be sure to keep it slow.
    Well I was going a little faster than 60, maybe 65-67 mph. But still about the same speed as all the big rigs. He was being "nice" writing me up for 60.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    2214 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    Well I was going a little faster than 60, maybe 65-67 mph. But still about the same speed as all the big rigs. He was being "nice" writing me up for 60.
    I don't know if it counts as a moving violation. I got my first ticket since 1996 on Saturday. I bought some lumber at Lowe's for a project at home. I had some of the boards sticking out above the closed tailgate. I tied three red flags to the boards for the short 2.5 mile drive home. A 1/2 mile from my house a CHP was turning around after following a couple of Corvettes, a Ferrari and a Porsche into the canyon. Two of the three red flags became untied and blew off. He wrote me up for not having the red flags. on the two other longer boards.

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ I'm lucky to go a year without a ticket. I hope they throw the book at you, you reckless, flagless lawbreaker!!!
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2214 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    ^^^ I'm lucky to go a year without a ticket. I hope they throw the book at you, you reckless, flagless lawbreaker!!!
    I normally drive pretty safely and slowly. No one would ever guess I race. My biggest vice is when I am towing the trailer. Like Bill I am usually doing 65 MPH and sometimes 70 MPH in California. That is slow for me though once I get east of Nevada.

Kam
    Liked
    88 times

where do you rent a truck that will let you tow ?
    Enterprise... their corporate section. they'll rent to retail customers as well.
    4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

Liked
    708 times

The problem with renting a truck is that you pretty much need to have an enclosed trailer. There's very little secure storage space in truck without a toneau or cap. If you have 4 people, there's pretty much no where to put your stuff.

I'm towing up to Monterey at the end of month with my family. Normally my 4Runner is stuffed to the gills when it's just me. I have a Thule box that will go on the roof for clothes and other light weight stuff. Won't bring any spare tires unless I get my tire rack built on the trailer before then. Since the 4Runner is old, it doesn't have Latch system for car seats which will make it that much more fun installing the seats.

Anyone know if rental full size SUVs have receivers and wiring?

Liked
    97 times

This is why having a big enough tow vehicle (and driving smoothly) is important... Highly exaggerated and ridiculous of course, but I wouldn't tow a 20' or larger trailer with anything but a full-sized truck or large SUV. No mid-sized SUV, or anything of that sort. No X5, no Grand Cherokee etc. They are too light and the wheelbase is too short.

Last edited by pucsicsal; 03-05-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Liked
    1430 times

Quote Originally Posted by pucsicsal View Post
    This is why having a big enough tow vehicle (and driving smoothly) is important... Highly exaggerated and ridiculous of course, but I wouldn't tow a 20' or larger trailer with anything but a full-sized truck or large SUV. No mid-sized SUV, or anything of that sort. No X5, no Grand Cherokee etc. They are too light and the wheelbase is too short.
    I'm no expert, but plenty of things much heavier than the tow vehicle get towed safely. Otherwise the big tow ratings wouldn't make much sense. I'd have to guess that most of these towing sway disasters are caused by screwing the pooch on tongue weight (particularly negative tongue weight)

Sir flink
    Liked
    553 times

It isn't wheelbase which determines towing stability. It is the ratio between the wheelbase and the towing overhang (distance from rear tires to towball). A longer towing overhang gives the trailer a longer lever arm to waggle the tow vehicle with. Vehicles like the x5 have a small towing overhang, pickups have a large one.

This is why fifth-wheel setups are good: the trailer attachment point is between the rear wheels so their towing overhang is zero, so lateral loads at the attachment point have no effect on the vehicle direction.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 17 ... LastLast