+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: What's your ideal daily driver / tow vehicle?

Liked
    2283 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    The member here with the Lotus 2-Eleven has a low profile aluminum enclosed trailer that he tows with an 09 Touareg TDI. They're rated at 7700 pounds still. You can easily find an enclosed trailer and race car to fit under that weight. As I mentioned earlier, they now have a 10 year 100k mile powertrain warranty.
    I still wouldn't touch a piece of junk Touareg (just to be clear, I meant reliability and durability). it will probably break down more than the race car... I would carry spares for Touareg in the enclosed trailer.
    have you priced out a low profile aluminum enclosed trailer ? it starts at $15k.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 03-02-2012 at 11:07 AM.
    bawareca likes this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    977 times

Escalade is a decent option. It has the beast 6.2 engine, but hate the image.

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    have you priced out a low profile aluminum enclosed trailer ? it starts at $15k.
    Yes but they also seem to have great resale. I personally can't afford one but it can make sense since it requires less of a tow vehicle.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2243 times

Brett: correct me if I am wrong, but I've read that tow rating have been just something made up by manufacturers. in 2013, new SAE tow rating standard will be implemented, some companies (Toyota) have already lowered their tow rating to conform to the new standard...

Tow ratings are not made up. The latest revision of the testing standards I know of was SAE J-2807 which was a couple of years ago. Toyota was one of the first to reflect the changes in its advertised capacities, which remain a big selling point for trucks and, to a lesser extent, SUVs.

The arms race really began when Toyota introduced the new Tundra in 2007. Nissan had debuted its Titan in 2005, I think, and it was more capable than the existing Tundra, with 9,500 pounds of capacity compared with 7,100 for the existing Tundra. Now, all half-ton pickups, regardless of manufacturer, can be outfitted to tow nearly 10,000 pounds or a bit more.

Not to be outdone, GM, Ford and Chrysler upped the ante to new heights with their HD and SD lines of trucks. Ford's 2011 and 2012 F-450 is rated at 24,500 pounds of gooseneck/fifth wheel capacity, up from 22,000 in 2007.

Liked
    2283 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Tow ratings are not made up. The latest revision of the testing standards I know of was SAE J-2807 which was a couple of years ago. Toyota was one of the first to reflect the changes in its advertised capacities, which remain a big selling point for trucks and, to a lesser extent, SUVs.

The arms race really began when Toyota introduced the new Tundra in 2007. Nissan had debuted its Titan in 2005, I think, and it was more capable than the existing Tundra, with 9,500 pounds of capacity compared with 7,100 for the existing Tundra. Now, all half-ton pickups, regardless of manufacturer, can be outfitted to tow nearly 10,000 pounds or a bit more.

Not to be outdone, GM, Ford and Chrysler upped the ante to new heights with their HD and SD lines of trucks. Ford's 2011 and 2012 F-450 is rated at 24,500 pounds of gooseneck/fifth wheel capacity, up from 22,000 in 2007.
    what I meant by "made up" as a marketing scheme. otherwise how would you describe same Tundra truck with a tow rating of 9,500LB one day (thought was 8,600LB), and 7,100LB the next.
    so who other than Toyota have adopted the new SAE standard.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2243 times

SAE J-2807 is more rigorous because it outlines testing procedures and requirements. I believe the SAE was recommending that all OEMs adopt it by 2013. Previous ratings were, to oversimplify, based on calculations rather than on physical testing procedures.

With regard to the differences in towing capacity of the same truck, it varies with engine, axle ratio, transmission, 2WD or 4WD and bed length.

Truck and SUV Towing Capacity Charts

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    We are debating trading my wifes 135i and my Suburban for a combo dd/tow vehicle. I'd sell my open trailer and get something enclosed, leave all my race crap in that. She drives about 10 miles daily so would take the Volt. I could use my current Suburban but it is lacking in creature comforts (it's a '99) and gets horrific gas mileage with the 7.4L engine.

Looks like the Expedition has the best tow capacity of the non-huge SUV's (9000lb+), don't really want a truck as a dd. I'm guessing an enclosed + car + gear would be about 7000lbs.

Thoughts?

I might be selling my enclosed trailer. It is a tight compact set-up that will hold all your racing gear and house your new T1 car very nicely.

Oli
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1486 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I might be selling my enclosed trailer.
    Oli
    Thanks for buying that new tandem trailer and offering to haul my T1car to all the events so I can just "arrive and drive" like BK.

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Thanks for buying that new tandem trailer and offering to haul my T1car to all the events so I can just "arrive and drive" like BK.
    Actually not a bad idea for same class racers. One stacker trailer to share and only one tow vehicle. Share the fuel costs, etc. Hey Flink if you get a T1 car you can store it in my shop and we can each sell our enclosed trailers and buy one stacker. I will do the towing with my truck and you can "arrive and drive in your X5". That has a nice ring to it huh? No more mess at your house and no more bmw engine parts in your kitchen!
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    977 times

So what dd am I getting again?

Kam
    Liked
    87 times

am I the only one who rather rent a tow vehicle?

$72/day for a newer model Ford F250 super duty. I get 100 free miles per rent period...gets 20mpg all freeway towing.
    A 3hr drive to fontana, at 500miles round trip (coming from vegas)...$216 for the truck, 400 miles at $0.15/mi.
    $280/weekend.
    Assuming I do it once a month, that's under $300/mo for a tow vehicle of which I don't have to worry about insurance/tires/maintenance/driving a truck daily.
    4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

Sir flink
    Liked
    552 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    Hey Flink if you get a T1 car you can store it in my shop
    Bah. You gonna fix it when the hubs break, the power steering takes a dump and the engine explodes?

Also, I'm not into gold chains and don't need a hairpiece.
    hakeem and bawareca like this.

Kam
    Liked
    87 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I'd like to see a Miata race car towed on an open trailer behind a Porsche.
    Couple of Porsche Club members tow their 911s... or when they do a Spec Miata race, their miatas.

My work's Cayenne has towed Ferraris around the town a few times.

Cayenne would be the only SUV I'd ever buy for a tow vehicle...because if the car you're towing breaks down, unhook the trailer, and put the Cayenne on track. As much as I dislike SUVs/trucks, the Cayenne is pretty awesome.
    4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

Liked
    2283 times

Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    am I the only one who rather rent a tow vehicle?

$72/day for a newer model Ford F250 super duty. I get 100 free miles per rent period...gets 20mpg all freeway towing.
    where do you rent a truck that will let you tow ? and is it to tow your trailer, or you have to rent trailer ?
    I vaguely remember that Uhaul require you to rent their trailer when you are renting their truck for towing.
    uhaul also will only do 1 way rental for auto trailer... yes, it is weird..
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2165 times

So what dd am I getting again?
    A T1 Corvette.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    977 times

where do you rent a truck that will let you tow ? and is it to tow your trailer, or you have to rent trailer ?
    I vaguely remember that Uhaul require you to rent their trailer when you are renting their truck for towing.
    You can rent a uhaul truck and use your own trailer, just don't need to tell them about it. Hertz etc have no hitches on their pickup trucks for this reason.

Liked
    434 times

I rented the uhaul car trailer many times and it was never 1-way.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by jimt View Post
    I rented the uhaul car trailer many times and it was never 1-way.
    +1

Liked
    2283 times

You can rent a uhaul truck and use your own trailer, just don't need to tell them about it. Hertz etc have no hitches on their pickup trucks for this reason.
    Since uhaul doesn't have electric brake controller and most trailers are electric brakes. How do u handle that ?
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2283 times

Edit