+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 15 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 336
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: What's your ideal daily driver / tow vehicle?

  1. #41
    Senior Member 0.o slow 1.6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tustin
    Posts
    551
    Liked
    23 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    The new Nissan vans look pretty cool, as far as cargo vans go. My last tow vehicle was a cargo van, it's a great idea.

    Looks like a rapist van. lol
    katc10, Richard EVO and bawareca like this.
    Milkshake!!!!!!!!!!!!

  2. #42
    BMW Master bawareca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,644
    Liked
    570 times

    Default

    ^^^This one I can stand somehow,but when I look at the taller version my eyes start to water and my head hurts........

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    249
    Liked
    29 times

    Default

    I had a 1999 Chevy Silverado extended cab 4x4 5.3 with tow package for a few years. I sold it with 130,000 miles on it and never had any problems with it. I towed with it, did some off roading, and took trips. Great truck.
    I bought a 2010 5.7 Tundra extended cab 4x4 with tow Package and a snug top shell. The Tundra is absolutely outstanding. Drives, handles and rides great, Huge power, towes a loaded open trailer like it's nonexistent, any speed you want up anything. Up the grapevine loaded and towing at 80 and not hit 4000rpm. The 6 speed auto is outstanding. The backup camera makes things soooo easy, really fantastic.

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    249
    Liked
    29 times

    Default

    I had a 1999 Chevy Silverado extended cab 4x4 5.3 with tow package for a few years. I sold it with 130,000 miles on it and never had any problems with it. I towed with it, did some off roading, and took trips. Great truck but definitely lacking in the power department.

    I bought a 2010 5.7 Tundra extended cab 4x4 with tow Package and a snug top shell. The Tundra is absolutely outstanding. Drives, handles and rides great. Tow rating is 10,000. Huge power, towes a loaded open trailer like it's nonexistent, any speed you want up anything. Up the grapevine loaded and towing at 80 and 3400 to 3900 rpm mostly with a couple of spots at 4000 (not my usual I just wanted to see what it would do). The brakes and 6 speed auto are outstanding. The backup camera makes things soooo easy, really fantastic.
    Last edited by markhs2; 02-16-2012 at 11:25 PM.

  5. #45
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,103
    Liked
    662 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markhs2 View Post
    I had a 1999 Chevy Silverado extended cab 4x4 5.3 with tow package for a few years. I sold it with 130,000 miles on it and never had any problems with it. I towed with it, did some off roading, and took trips. Great truck.
    I bought a 2010 5.7 Tundra extended cab 4x4 with tow Package and a snug top shell. The Tundra is absolutely outstanding. Drives, handles and rides great, Huge power, towes a loaded open trailer like it's nonexistent, any speed you want up anything. Up the grapevine loaded and towing at 80 and not hit 4000rpm. The 6 speed auto is outstanding. The backup camera makes things soooo easy, really fantastic.
    Have you paid attention to fuel mileage with either truck? The Toyotas are rated 13-17 mpg for the 5.7 4wd and the current GM are more like 15-20 for the 5.3 with 4wd. I'm trying to see what real world mileage is.

    The VW Touareg TDI isn't quite as scary since I saw it comes with a 10 year 100k mile power train warranty. But as Brett always says, "sometimes you just gotta have a truck."
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    249
    Liked
    29 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    Have you paid attention to fuel mileage with either truck? The Toyotas are rated 13-17 mpg for the 5.7 4wd and the current GM are more like 15-20 for the 5.3 with 4wd. I'm trying to see what real world mileage is.
    The 5.3 chevy on a road trip not towing about 17 - 18 mpg, towing not really shure I only did it a couple of times but I'd guess 13-14.
    The 5.7 tundra road trip not towing about 17, towing 14-15.
    Note;
    they are both extracab and 4WD
    This is driving between 73 and 85 not towing and towing between 65 and 75
    Driving slower the mileage would obviously be better likely pretty significant.
    I always liked the chevy but The Tundra is amazing
    Very big difference in power. I forget the trailer loaded with my car are even back there at all with the Tundra. Test drive one you will be impressed.


    I have some friends that tow an enclosed trailer with their 3000 lb race car, tools, spares etc and 4 guys in the truck and all their gear with the Tundra. They say it's no problem, the truck does it easily.

    Pull out your calculator and figure the yearly cost difference between 14 - 15mpg and your Ideal tow vehicle mileage, say very optimistically at 22 (if you can really find one that will achieve that mileage at 70mph).

    smaller tow vehicles with small engines that you have to constantly push get crappy mileage, worse mileage than a big efficient engine that doesn't have to try.

    That's my experience and that of the guys I know that tow.

    If you have a serious heavy load diesel is the way to go. I have driven them and I like them, the torque is incredible but you can buy an amazing amount of fuel for the difference in the cost to a gas engine if you don't have the heavy duty load and/or you don't tow that frequently.

    Hope that helps

  7. #47
    RaceTape Ninja Force McCocken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,347
    Liked
    693 times

    Default

    I want a mid-size/compact truck with a 4-5 cylinder turbo diesel. 6-7000# towing. Give me a quad cab with four doors and an open bed. Make it a 4x4. So give me a Toyota Hilux with Tacoma space. The diesel should offer decent enough mileage around town (low to mid 20s), upper 20s, maybe 30 on the freeway to SFO or Vegas. The smaller truck will make it easier in the city to maneuver and park. I can carry 2-3 people in the back seat. It should have enough torque to haul my Miata on an open trailer with gear in the bed up the Grapevine at 45-55mph easily without puking coolant.

    The 4x4 comes into play when the **** hits the fan (earthquake, zombie apocalypse, etc.) I can GTFO of Dodge. God knows the only way to get out of LA/OC isn't going to be a paved road.

    I HATE buying new cars, but whichever reputable manufacturer steps up to the plate with this rig, I'll be in the showroom shaking some schlub salesman's sweaty hand.
    Last edited by Force McCocken; 02-22-2012 at 08:06 PM.

  8. #48
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,279
    Liked
    2140 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    I want a mid-size/compact truck with a 4-5 cylinder turbo diesel. 6-7000# towing. Give me a quad cab with four doors and an open bed. Make it a 4x4. So give me a Toyota Hilux with Tacoma space. The diesel should offer decent enough mileage around town (low to mid 20s), upper 20s, maybe 30 on the freeway to SFO or Vegas. The smaller truck will make it easier in the city to maneuver and park. I can carry 2-3 people in the back seat. It should have enough torque to haul my Miata on an open trailer with gear in the bed up the Grapevine at 45-55mph easily without puking coolant.

    The 4x4 comes into play when the **** hits the fan (earthquake, zombie apocalypse, etc.) I can GTFO of Dodge. God knows the only way to get out of LA/OC isn't going to be a paved road.

    I HATE buying new cars, but whichever reputable manufacturer steps up to the plate with this rig, I'll be in the showroom shaking some schlub salesman's sweaty hand.

    Put me down for one of those.

  9. #49
    RaceTape Ninja Force McCocken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,347
    Liked
    693 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    The new Nissan vans look pretty cool, as far as cargo vans go. My last tow vehicle was a cargo van, it's a great idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by 0.o slow 1.6 View Post
    Looks like a rapist van. lol
    Needs more wizard.


  10. #50
    Co Owner of Weekend-Racer John Mueller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    197
    Liked
    66 times

    Default

    Just got it... Latest version of the F150 SuperCab w/ 5.4 & tow package. It can haul the extended family, my kids karting crap and tow my SM over the stupid Grapevine.

    09_f150_supercab.jpg
    --------------------
    Thanks,
    John
    NASA SM National Director
    http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
    #13 House Garage-built & Prepped Mid-Pack 1.6 SM / PTE / E3 Miata

  11. #51
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,279
    Liked
    2140 times

    Default

    ^^ I'm glad you got the V8. I know the EcoBoosts underwent a lot of testing, but I fear they might go ecoboom long before a V8.

  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1475 times

    Default

    If you don't mind my asking, what does that truck cost?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Mueller View Post
    Just got it... Latest version of the F150 SuperCab w/ 5.4 & tow package. It can haul the extended family, my kids karting crap and tow my SM over the stupid Grapevine.

    Attachment 4354
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  13. #53
    Senior Member fatbillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,697
    Liked
    1285 times

    Default

    I was within a wisker of buying the F150 Ecoboost with iirc 10K+ towing capacity. At the last minute I got wind of all the tranny problems with it. Guys on forums had blow ups the day I was going to buy. People had some cars with trannys that failed before owners took delivery. I figure it will take about a year for Ford to figure out its problem that they say they don't have. The forums say otherwise. Under those conditions the 5.4L is a good option if you can't wait.

  14. #54
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,279
    Liked
    2140 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    I was within a wisker of buying the F150 Ecoboost with iirc 10K+ towing capacity. At the last minute I got wind of all the tranny problems with it. Guys on forums had blow ups the day I was going to buy. People had some cars with trannys that failed before owners took delivery. I figure it will take about a year for Ford to figure out its problem that they say they don't have. The forums say otherwise. Under those conditions the 5.4L is a good option if you can't wait.

    Makes me glad I have a Turbo Hydramatic.

  15. #55
    dirty smack talker hakeem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,076
    Liked
    977 times

    Default

    We are debating trading my wifes 135i and my Suburban for a combo dd/tow vehicle. I'd sell my open trailer and get something enclosed, leave all my race crap in that. She drives about 10 miles daily so would take the Volt. I could use my current Suburban but it is lacking in creature comforts (it's a '99) and gets horrific gas mileage with the 7.4L engine.

    Looks like the Expedition has the best tow capacity of the non-huge SUV's (9000lb+), don't really want a truck as a dd. I'm guessing an enclosed + car + gear would be about 7000lbs.

    Thoughts?
    Last edited by hakeem; 03-02-2012 at 10:01 AM.

  16. #56
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,390
    Liked
    2088 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Expedition has the best tow capacity of the non-huge SUV's (9000lb+),Thoughts?
    if Expedition is not a non-huge SUV, what is a huge SUV ?

    Brett: correct me if I am wrong, but I've read that tow rating have been just something made up by manufacturers. in 2013, new SAE tow rating standard will be implemented, some companies (Toyota) have already lowered their tow rating to conform to the new standard...
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    16 Cruze, free car !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR

  17. #57
    dirty smack talker hakeem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,076
    Liked
    977 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    if Expedition is not a non-huge SUV, what is a huge SUV ?

    Brett: correct me if I am wrong, but I've read that tow rating have been just something made up by manufacturers. in 2013, new SAE tow rating standard will be implemented, some companies (Toyota) have already lowered their tow rating to conform to the new standard...
    Suburban, Yukon XL, Expedition EL, etc...Expedition is pretty huge though I will admit. Really like the new Explorer but only V6 and smallish tow capacity (6000lbs).

    I know there is legal liability related to the manufacturer stated tow capacity; if you have an accident and are at fault towing greater load than you should, there can be problems.

  18. #58
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,390
    Liked
    2088 times

    Default

    I personally would of like Toyota lineup. Landcruiser, LX570 or Sequoia. but they've just dropped the rating big time to meet the 2013 SAE standard.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    16 Cruze, free car !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR

  19. #59
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,390
    Liked
    2088 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    I know there is legal liability related to the manufacturer stated tow capacity; if you have an accident and are at fault towing greater load than you should, there can be problems.
    tow rating is a huge bragging point. manufacturer sell more trucks with higher tow rating...also don't forget manufacturers almost always have lower tow rating for the same car that's sold in U.S. vs. Europe. there already is some margin built in.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    16 Cruze, free car !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR

  20. #60
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,103
    Liked
    662 times

    Default

    The member here with the Lotus 2-Eleven has a low profile aluminum enclosed trailer that he tows with an 09 Touareg TDI. They're rated at 7700 pounds still. You can easily find an enclosed trailer and race car to fit under that weight. As I mentioned earlier, they now have a 10 year 100k mile powertrain warranty.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 15 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts