+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: What's your ideal daily driver / tow vehicle?

Liked
    57 times

I have a 2009 F250 diesel and wouldn't have a problem driving it every day....

-mike

Liked
    568 times

I have an 03 X5 4.6is,340 hp.As Flink mentioned,there are many "options" that help towing in comfort.4.6is has hugely oversized brakes and can tow 4-5000 lbs even with trailer brakes disconnected.It can get close to 20 mpg when my wife drives it(no more than 16 with me behind the wheel)and up to 13 mpg when towing 1500 trailer with 2500 car on it,towing 60-65.I brought my new wagon from Sacramento to LA and it averaged 13 mpg with 6500 lbs and 4 people in the X5.
    But,if I have to visit a shop everytime when it has a problem,I wouldnt even think of towing with it.As a BMW technician I do the work on it.

Liked
    1475 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    daily driver: Volt,
    Since they have been selling Chevy Volts, I think I have seen maybe 4 on the road. Seems like an utter failure. On the other hand, I see Nissan Leafs (or is the plural "Leaves"?)every day.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

NA Power, Every hour! andrewdruiz's Avatar
    Liked
    36 times

I have an '03 Silverado 4x4 extended cab 5.3L with 33" tires, intake and a tuned PCM - I get about 19-20MPG on the highway and 14-15 in the city. It's a great truck. It serves its purpose well, but it's definitely not a DD, maybe one of the newer Silverado's would be a good dual-purpose vehicle - with a tuned PCM and stock tires I'm sure it could squeeze 22-23MPG. I have a '10 Mazda3i touring as my DD - great car with a sporty feel.

Liked
    70 times

The porsche cayenne is ugly, but it has a very good tow rating and has a very robust chassis along with giant Brembos.

Just don't get the V6.
    -Kevin M.

2010 Subaru WRX

Liked
    1475 times

Quote Originally Posted by DutchOven View Post
    The porsche cayenne is ugly, but it has a very good tow rating and has a very robust chassis along with giant Brembos.
    I'd like to see a Miata race car towed on an open trailer behind a Porsche. Who makes race cars and who makes trucks?
    JJ1 likes this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Since they have been selling Chevy Volts, I think I have seen maybe 4 on the road. Seems like an utter failure. On the other hand, I see Nissan Leafs (or is the plural "Leaves"?)every day.
    From what I understand, it is a supply issue rather than a demand issue...every dealer I have talked to is either sold out or sitting on them charging a $10k premium. I see more Volts in Santa Monica these days, but definitely more Leafs. The Leaf is a good $10k cheaper though so hardly surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdruiz View Post
    I have an '03 Silverado 4x4 extended cab 5.3L with 33" tires, intake and a tuned PCM - I get about 19-20MPG on the highway and 14-15 in the city. It's a great truck. It serves its purpose well, but it's definitely not a DD, maybe one of the newer Silverado's would be a good dual-purpose vehicle - with a tuned PCM and stock tires I'm sure it could squeeze 22-23MPG. I have a '10 Mazda3i touring as my DD - great car with a sporty feel.
    I figure you would fit in pretty well driving a truck around Riverside. Isn't that the official vehicle of the Inland Empire?
    Last edited by hakeem; 02-15-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Liked
    2137 times

I like the Tundras but they're fuel mileage rating is terrible. I haven't heard many problems with the GM 5.3, maybe Brett can chime in on those.

I bought mine with 58k three years ago and just turned 87k. No mechanical issues other than the ubiquitous driveshaft clunk, and steering column rattle, which I had repaired. It does consume a little oil when towing up the Grapevine, but other than that, it has been a good vehicle.

I do wish it had at least one more gear ratio. The four-speed overdrive just doesn't offer the engine enough choice and getting up The Grapevine takes some long pulls in second gear. I'm still waiting for some company to make a retrofit kit for the six-speed from the GMT900 trucks.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2157 times

I switch between three daily drivers. Truck, 95 Miata and 03 S2000. The one used most often is the '07 Dodge 2500 Cummins, Quad Cab, short bed. Tows anything 100mph up any hill. Seats 6. Gets 18mpg towing an open trailer, 13mpg closed. Empty it's 14mpg around town, 22hwy @ 75mph. Engine should go 300k. Downside is it's loud. That's about it. I love it.

These days I need to two two cars so I'm considering the current Ram 3500 Cummins dually and a 32-36' gooseneck trailer. I'd stick to the roadsters as daily drivers and still use the truck when I need to haul people around town.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    142 times

Daily driver: MINI Cooper S, every time I get in that car I grin.

Ideal Tow vehicle: A garage coach like the white one I see from time to time at SV events at ACS.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
    I haven't driven a lot of SUVs / trucks, but if it has enough capacity, probably a Porsche Cayenne or some other sporty SUV that the SO would actually use as her car.

Otherwise, something so cheap that it makes sense to use solely as a tow vehicle, but I know this wasn't a criterion of yours.

I'm looking at cayenne's for all the same reasons......trickery.

Liked
    135 times

Think sprinter but smaller and bigger than a minivan (my current tow rig) on the last trip to BW the Villager (aka Nissian Quest) got 18mpg towing the bmw 2002 on a dolly. I really do not like trucks for a DD. The van on the other hand offers lots of storage for tires and other track stuff. If Ford would just bring the diesel version of the transit connect to the USA, this would be ideal for towing a miata/bmw 2002. I bet you could get 25mpg or better towing...

Liked
    977 times

The new Nissan vans look pretty cool, as far as cargo vans go. My last tow vehicle was a cargo van, it's a great idea.

Liked
    568 times

Quote Originally Posted by granth View Post
    If Ford would just bring the diesel version of the transit connect to the USA, this would be ideal for towing a miata/bmw 2002. I bet you could get 25mpg or better towing...
    I can tow with my station wagon(GVW 5100 lbs),but it is rated for none here.Sure the same for the Connect(or 2000 lbs at most,still not enough).In Europe you can tow heavier stuff with lighter car.
    Last edited by bawareca; 02-15-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Liked
    1278 times

Porsche Cayenne turbo could be the hot luxo tow vehicle but they are so dang ugly on the outside even the porsche people call them pigs. Jeep overland has the dodge hemi 5.7 engine. That's the best SUV for towing right now. New suburbans have no power or torque. What was GM thinking?

Liked
    11 times

My vote goes for the VW Touareg. It's classy enough to not feel out of place at the Four Seasons, it can comfortably take a family of five to Mammoth, it can easily tow a trailer with an S2000, and still manages to get 28 mpg on the highway. What more can you ask for out of a daily driver that tows?

Liked
    662 times

The new Nissan vans look pretty cool, as far as cargo vans go. My last tow vehicle was a cargo van, it's a great idea.

I think these Nissan vans are as cool as a van be. Now hopefully in the coming in years they get the smaller Cummins.
    Quote Originally Posted by NammyBoy View Post
    My vote goes for the VW Touareg. It's classy enough to not feel out of place at the Four Seasons, it can comfortably take a family of five to Mammoth, it can easily tow a trailer with an S2000, and still manages to get 28 mpg on the highway. What more can you ask for out of a daily driver that tows?
    I have neighbor with a new Touareg TDI, sort of. He bought it a year or so ago in Denver where he also lives, it died in Vegas on his way here. VW gave him a loaner which he's had for almost the whole time since. VW gave up on fixing his and is giving him a brand new one. It's great that he got such great service from VW but really scares me that they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. The upside I guess is that if it makes it out of warranty and dies, you'll probably know the reason.

Brett and towed to Spring Mountain in a last gen Touareg TDI. We got 20 mpg towing my Miata on a open Uhaul on the way there. Did worse on the way back but Brett had his foot in it on the way home.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    662 times

I think these Nissan vans are as cool as a van be. Now hopefully in the coming in years they get the smaller Cummins.
    Quote Originally Posted by NammyBoy View Post
    I have neighbor with a new Touareg TDI, sort of. He bought it a year or so ago in Denver where he also lives, it died in Vegas on his way here. VW gave him a loaner which he's had for almost the whole time since. VW gave up on fixing his and is giving him a brand new one. It's great that he got such great service from VW but really scares me that they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. The upside I guess is that if it makes it out of warranty and dies, you'll probably know the reason.

Brett and I towed to Spring Mountain in a last gen Touareg TDI. We got 20 mpg towing my Miata on a open Uhaul on the way there. Did worse on the way back but Brett had his foot in it.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    1278 times

I've been thinking about a new DD/tow vehicle but want more luxury than my Suburban with all the trimming gives. So I weighed my 16ft dovetail steel deck dual axle carson open trailer on my race scales. It is 2200 lbs!!!! What a pig. So just my racecar (C5vette 3200lbs) and trailer and 4 extra wheels/tires is near 5700lbs. So think about those numbers guys when you are picking your tow vehicles. Rembmer the 500lbs of junk inside your tow vehicles too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 14 ... LastLast