+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: What's your ideal daily driver / tow vehicle?

Liked
    538 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    is Ktag the successor for Jtag?
    Jtag is a programming protocol for some older processors I believe, and some programmers are name after it. Ktag is more of a trade name than a specific protocol as this tool covers a very wide specter of microcontrollers and protocols.

Liked
    366 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    They sure did, but I didnt get your point, if there was any.
    There wasn't much of a point to my comment, just maybe some common security protocols might be the same.
    I'm actually pretty intrigued by what you are able to do and the security you're able to bypass. Do you see larger hurdles in the last few years for engine/body/infotainment modules in terms of security?
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 KTM 690 Duke - commuter

Liked
    538 times

New engine management computers are pretty simple-they have "OTP" field where the immobilizer data is stored and "Tuning Protection" (TP, Tprot) which is mostly access code. Tuning tool manufacturers (Alientech in my case) spend a few months cracking when a new generation Trot is released and after that you just read the computer, modify and write back. They are not supposed to touch the OTP, but some newest updates include this too. In the newest generation BMW computers however the OTP cannot be modified.
    Usually the transmission computers are part of the immobilization system too and are pretty secured. The other modules not so much.

Liked
    646 times

Here's another attempt at my daily driver / tow vehicle.

gmctruck15.jpg

It's a Silver '15 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, crew cab, standard bed, max tow package and 6.2 gas engine ( came with gold chains ). It's amazingly comfortable for being a 4x4 rated to tow 11,700 pounds. I couldn't make a Duramax fit in my budget if I wanted a decent interior. Since this is also my daily driver, I think (hope) the added comfort of a 1500 will be nice. Fuel mileage is rated at 15 c 21 highway on premium gas. When not towing, it shouldn't get worse gas mileage than a Duramax. With 420hp and 460 torques, it should tow my 6000 pound trailer just fine.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    1308 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post

Attachment 9646

It's a Silver '15 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, crew cab, standard bed, max tow package and 6.2 gas engine ( came with gold chains ). It's amazingly comfortable for being a 4x4 rated to tow 11,700 pounds. I couldn't make a Duramax fit in my budget if I wanted a decent interior. Since this is also my daily driver, I think (hope) the added comfort of a 1500 will be nice. Fuel mileage is rated at 15 c 21 highway on premium gas. When not towing, it shouldn't get worse gas mileage than a Duramax. With 420hp and 460 torques, it should tow my 6000 pound trailer just fine.
    yeehaw. That will beat my 395hp ram if I get one. Cost?

Liked
    646 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    yeehaw. That will beat my 395hp ram if I get one. Cost?
    Not if you're towing an open trailer and I'm towing an enclosed.

$57K MSRP, got the 20% off deal.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    2013 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post

Attachment 9646

it requires premium gas ?
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    16 Cruze, free car !!
    14 Spark EV, 400 ft/lb
    08 M3
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR

Liked
    646 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    it requires premium gas ?
    I believe premium is recommended. I've read the 5.3 prefers higher octane as well. Direct injection I guess.

Liked
    538 times

This is substantial at ~$45k. Still, 6.2 L full size truck for a daily driver makes my head spin. I hope you can make it work.
    It seams like everything is compromise except if one has a dedicated daily driver[s], dedicated race car[s], dedicated towing vehicle/motorhome. Looks like Oli got it right.

Liked
    646 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    This is substantial at ~$45k. Still, 6.2 L full size truck for a daily driver makes my head spin. I hope you can make it work.
    It seams like everything is compromise except if one has a dedicated daily driver[s], dedicated race car[s], dedicated towing vehicle/motorhome. Looks like Oli got it right.
    I'll admit that I didn't love the idea but now that I have it, I love it. It's surprisingly luxurious and comfortable and other than size, it's a pleasure to drive. I have a Miata to drive around too once I get the engine and transmission installed. A very small percentage of my driving is not on a freeway so fun cars are a tough sell when I need a truck to tow.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    2044 times

It's amazing what trucks have become. Eric let me drive it yesterday. It has a nice ride, a quiet and plush interior and enough safety doodads and gadgets to satisfy even Eric (cue "Inspector Gadget" theme song here.

My truck is 10 years older than Eric's new ride, but worlds apart in terms of comfort and amenities.

Liked
    129 times

Now that I've had my Canyon for a year I figured I'd give a few impressions and some numbers:
    Model: Canyon Crew Cab - SLT Trim - Towing Package
    Ownership: 12 Months
    Purchase Price: 35k
    Current Market Value: 31k
    Miles: 17,650
    Mileage Breakdown: 3 road trips of around 1k miles, 3 tows of 600-1000 miles each, remainder a mix of stop/go commuting and fwy
    MPG: 22 average for all 17,650 miles. 16mpg towing average (at 70-75mph), on extended fwy road trips i average 25-26mpg
    Issues/Service so far: Steering column replaced under warranty due to rattle, driver door window switch replaced under warranty due to issues, on-star module replaced under warranty due to failure

Overall the vehicle has been a joy to own. I've been pretty impressed with the towing mpg and it's capability. The transmission temps stay under 180 even on 90 degree days while going over the grapevine. The interior quality is holding up well through the wear/tear i put it through. I was bummed that I didn't wait for the diesel model at first, but I'm happy with the mpg I'm getting.

I still contend that the smarter choice is buying a second hand full size (gas) and a daily driver... but if you had to have one vehicle to do it all I think this is a strong candidate.
    Last edited by ebruner; 04-13-2016 at 12:14 PM.

Liked
    0 times

Since my 02 V8 Explorer was totaled (spouse), I am looking for an SUV replacement. Either the 5.4 Expedition or a Tahoe. One of my racer buddies has had good luck with a Tahoe. I know a truck/diesel would be better, but I need a vehicle I can haul relatives in. Any thoughts out there? Want to stay domestic.

Liked
    646 times

Quote Originally Posted by dwagner302 View Post
    Since my 02 V8 Explorer was totaled (spouse), I am looking for an SUV replacement. Either the 5.4 Expedition or a Tahoe. One of my racer buddies has had good luck with a Tahoe. I know a truck/diesel would be better, but I need a vehicle I can haul relatives in. Any thoughts out there? Want to stay domestic.
    Welcome to Trackhq! Is your trailer open or enclosed? I towed a 20' enclosed car hauler with a'08 Chrysler Aspen 5.7. Power wise it was fine but if it was hot out the water temp would climb heading up hill. I just don't think the grill opening was big enough to cool the engine. It also needed an Equal-i-zer to keep the trailer under control. If you don't know, Aspens are the fancier version on the Durango from '06-'09 I think and are a body of frame SUV. If you look at Aspen/Durango, make sure they have the tow package because otherwise the tow rating is much lower than the 8500 pounds they're rated with the tow package.

Liked
    2044 times

If you're going to use it for towing, the beam axle on the Tahoe is superior to the IRS in the Expedition.

Both are coil-spring rear suspensions, so an air suspension or aftermarket air bags are almost required for towing. The Expedition comes with air suspension from the factory. I'm not sure if the Tahoe does.

I think a GM powertrain is better the Ford's, too.

Liked
    93 times

Quote Originally Posted by dwagner302 View Post
    Like others have said, any recommendation would be more accurate if we know what type of trailer you are pulling and what is in it. With that said, I was in a similar situation. I am pulling a 20' enclosed trailer with a 1,300 pound race car. I had a 1500 suburban which pulled the trailer just fine, but the truck bounced and bucked over freeway bumps. Also the brakes weren't really up to the job... Of course we have steep passes in California so it is tougher on the brakes than flatter locations. I then upgraded to a 2500 suburban which I like a lot. It pulls really well even up the steepest grades. It does a much better job than the 1500. It is much more stable and the brakes have plenty of stopping power. The only issue is that the mileage isn't as good as a diesel. I get about 7.5 to ~8.0 mpg. Last weekend I towed up to Laguna Seca from Southern California which requires pulling over the grapevine and I kept my speed to 65mph and I averaged 8.2 mpg

Liked
    538 times

Here is my daily driver/occasional track car/tow rig

robburgoon, Loose Caboose and Gian like this.

Liked
    748 times

Liked
    106 times

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyH View Post
    Like others have said, any recommendation would be more accurate if we know what type of trailer you are pulling and what is in it. With that said, I was in a similar situation. I am pulling a 20' enclosed trailer with a 1,300 pound race car. I had a 1500 suburban which pulled the trailer just fine, but the truck bounced and bucked over freeway bumps. Also the brakes weren't really up to the job... Of course we have steep passes in California so it is tougher on the brakes than flatter locations. I then upgraded to a 2500 suburban which I like a lot. It pulls really well even up the steepest grades. It does a much better job than the 1500. It is much more stable and the brakes have plenty of stopping power. The only issue is that the mileage isn't as good as a diesel. I get about 7.5 to ~8.0 mpg. Last weekend I towed up to Laguna Seca from Southern California which requires pulling over the grapevine and I kept my speed to 65mph and I averaged 8.2 mpg
    Dons trailer is an all steel two rail car trailer, I think 18'

Liked
    106 times

My main tow vehicle is a 99 34' Pace Arrow, v10, mileage when towing last time I checked on the way to laguna was 6.7. My alternate tow vehicle is a 01 excursion limited with a tow rating of 12.5k, last time I checked I got 9.1. My daily driver is a fusion and I get 33-36 depending on where and traffic. My trailer is a 22' interstate enclosed fully loaded it 6857(weighed at the truck stop).

I have the luxury of plenty parking space at home so I get vehicles for the needs, not 1 to do everything.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast