+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: What's your ideal daily driver / tow vehicle?

Liked
    42 times

I agree that the RAM payload numbers are pretty pathetic. Even for a Tradesman 1500 with very little content, the advertised payload is paltry. It's all based on the GVWR, which I have to imagine is kinda like a number some lawyer worked with a structural engineer to come up with and ensure that RAM has no problems and is required to pay a minimum of warranty claims to keep its place as a profit leader.

Chevy doesn't do payload ratings like RAM does, and got called out on it as late as August 8th. They were putting lightweight components on trucks (like alloy wheels) or removing "optional" parts like bumpers. I am not entirely certain that I would trust their payload ratings. RAM uses real numbers, nothing removed.

The optional self-leveling air suspension of the RAM will continue to level the load up to 2,000lbs, sometime after which the air suspension goes into overload safety mode to protect itself. Aftermarket air bags can carry significantly more than the stock springs if you choose a coil-sprung truck, and from what I've read the coil-sprung trucks ride a little better than air when traveling light. The RAM is also delivered without load range E tires- they're an available option but are not likely to be on many dealership lots due to the increase in harshness.

We're all interested in safety, but is advertised payload really all that big a deal? There are stronger tires, better dampers, supplemental load control devices, etc. all available for the vast majority of pickups out there. After all, the majority of us are certainly putting more stresses through our car's chassis than the manufacturer intended yet we rarely think anything of it when the car is modified accordingly.

All that being said, I suppose my ideal daily driver/tow vehicle would be either a Canyon Duramax or a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Tradesman. I'd probably prefer the Canyon for the simple fact that it's significantly lighter, but it's also vaporware at this point and GM's not yet released final horsepower or torque ratings.
    Last edited by SOneThreeCoupe; 09-23-2014 at 05:34 PM.
    Steve C.
    1992 Nissan 240SX
    Sub-2200lbs, stock with bolt-ons, Blackbird cage
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Bostongrun/Modena 62k miles

Liked
    717 times

This video requires patience on several levels to get through but while long has some good info about the Canyon/Colorado.

Autoline After Hours
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    760 times

Oy. I only lasted 7 minutes on that video.

I am looking extensively at the Lexus/Toyota V8 SUVs. Particularly between 00-05. This includes the Land Cruiser, 4runner, Lx470, and GX470.

My requirements changed a little bit. This will be my DD. We now have TWO dogs (2 full-sized Greyhounds). I suggested to my wife that I *could* get a pickup and put a cap on the bed for them to ride back there, but those words fell on the floor like bricks on glass.

We enjoy the mountains here and the beach, so a 4x4 is the preferred option, though I know it won't be useful for towing. Still, The Toyotas of that vintage are reliable as hell and the 4wd will come in handy for those trips, or whenever we get unusual amounts of snow (like last year). The towing capability is actually right where I need it to be for a flat trailer and either a Miata or e30 (6500-7000#). The interior, well, the seats need to fold flat for the dogs, so some of the models I am considering are iffy in that regard. The v8 4Runner does, but the 4wd system isn't as 'stout' as the others. I like it for it's day-to-day size and agility. The Land Cruisers are nice, but you get a sort of 'fan boi' pricing on them. Truly 300k+ mile trucks with outstanding off-road capabilities, the Cruisers are very cool. The Lexus models are interestingly similarly priced just a *little* bit more, BUT the interiors on them are quite wonderful. The GX470, in particular, is very interesting. Basically a heavier, more luxurious 4Runner with a 3rd row option, with the 4wd system off the Land Cruiser/LX470 platform. I am finding the Lexus models have FAR better maintenance histories which helps me justify their slightly higher pricing. I am also thinking that the track events I do, the Lexus versions would make it possible to sleep in them overnight, and be less fatigued on the drive to and from the tracks. The entertainment systems in them work for looking at my data and videos in the paddock, or keeping visiting family amused while we shuttle to and from certain locations in the South. Then again, the dogs *could* do a number on that plush interior. The GX470 also has a goofy side-hinged rear tailgate that could be an issue for access while towing a trailer.

Fuel economy, eh, until more mid-sized diesel options are on the market and proven, it's just not an option. Fuel prices here are greatly lower than they are on the west coast. I only drive about 8-10k miles a year, too. The final kicker is the automatic gate on our driveway. A pickup and my wife at the wheel has me wakening at night in a cold sweat. Visions of her wiping that gate and the mechanisms clear out of the ground NUMEROUS times seems plausible. It can be a tight corner from one direction, I just don't know if she could make it successfully without causing damage repeatedly.

At any rate, I feel like I have good options to choose from that are reliable and meet my criteria. Even better, I WON'T have to visit a Chevy/GMC dealer to buy a new mid-size pickup. I hate buying new cars so much, I cannot express it in words without sounding like I am speaking in tongues, or off some sort of medication.
    Loose Caboose likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    717 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    Oy. I only lasted 7 minutes on that video.
    Yeah, my dad regularly watches the that show, I guess it's aimed at retired guys with tons of free time. It's a shame because if they allowed an editor to do their thing, it could be a very informative 15 min segment.

One of the journalists toward the end just couldn't get over how big the GM twins are. They don't seem to be as tall as 1500 series trucks, they had video of the host climbing in and out both of the cab and the bed, seemed reasonable.

Liked
    977 times

After several years of searching, my conclusion is that there is no ideal daily driver + tow vehicle. So thanks to the wise words of my friend William, I bought this:

Then traded the Durango in for this:

Couldn't be happier!
    bellwilliam, Red_5 and b3d3g1 like this.

Liked
    258 times

EV for DD and diesel truck for towing... something about right tool for the job.

BID
    bellwilliam, hakeem and b3d3g1 like this.

Liked
    61 times

I have a 2005 4runner v8 2wd as a DD and as a tow vehicle. I didnt think I would but I have to say I LOVE this thing. MPG is about 14.2mpg around town after I put on the heavy roof rack but Ive gotten as good as 19.6 on the freeway coming back from BW (not towing). Towing capacity is rated higher on the 2wd over the 4wd @ 8000lbs. This goes up when you add a trans cooler too. I should caution even with the town package Id recommend getting bags on the rear suspension to level it out when you have a trailer hooked up. When I was in the market I looked for a Lexus 470 forever but could never find a good one with lowish miles. After a few months with no success i figured the 4th gen 4runner v8 its basically the same guts in not as a refined package but at a reasonable price. When I got this one I upgraded the sound and did a rear camera and leveler bags and now i basically have the same truck as the Lexus 470. Super happy with the purchase.

Last edited by illwillem; 10-30-2014 at 04:03 PM.

Liked
    977 times

That's a great looking 4runner!

Liked
    760 times

Quote Originally Posted by illwillem View Post
    I have a 2005 4runner v8 2wd as a DD and as a tow vehicle. I didnt think I would but I have to say I LOVE this thing. MPG is about 14.2mpg around town after I put on the heavy roof rack but Ive gotten as good as 19.6 on the freeway coming back from BW (not towing). Towing capacity is rated higher on the 2wd over the 4wd @ 8000lbs. This goes up when you add a trans cooler too. I should caution even with the town package Id recommend getting bags on the rear suspension to level it out when you have a trailer hooked up. When I was in the market I looked for a Lexus 470 forever but could never find a good one with lowish miles. After a few months with no success i figured the 4th gen 4runner v8 its basically the same guts in not as a refined package but at a reasonable price. When I got this one I upgraded the sound and did a rear camera and leveler bags and now i basically have the same truck as the Lexus 470. Super happy with the purchase.
    Ooooo! HAWT! I want the same thing, but with 4WD. We visit the Smoky mountains and Outer Banks, so having it would be a great feature (4wd), plus we do get a little snow/ice here. I watch the 4runners, GX470s. A friend of mine says I should go with the Landcruiser or LX470, but I prefer the way the 4Rs rear seats fold flat for the dogs to spread out on long drives. I see the GX470 and 4Rs within a few thousand of each other. I DO like the GX, but I worry about the extra bells and whistles being a headache (air suspension, added electronincs, etc), plus the dogs may do a number on that plush interior...Greyhounds have loooong claws.

I have no shame saying your 4runner gives me a boner.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    864 times

An eponymous turn of phrase, to be sure.
    SOneThreeCoupe likes this.

Liked
    430 times

I thought this infographic was interesting regarding truck of choice.
    TrackHQ is on par with the Pacific region.

enhanced-buzz-wide-19275-1426259427-10.jpg
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter
    2016 KTM 690 Duke - parked at the dealer

Liked
    1436 times

Wow, had no idea the ford/chevy/dodge thing was so regional.

Liked
    2287 times

Subaru is the most popular car in the only two states with legal marijuana. Maine must be next in legalizing weed.

Liked
    2287 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post

Because 'murica.

Liked
    864 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Good point. Maybe:

Ram = cowboys
    Ford = farmers (and panhandle cow pokes)
    Chevy = rust belt working guys

Liked
    864 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Subaru is the most popular car in the only two states with legal marijuana. Maine must be next in legalizing weed.
    Of course its all about snow, Pendleton wool shirts, hiking boots, and maybe a buck knife holster on your belt. And since Subaru is kind of what Volvo used to be in the 70's and 80's (and no Prius 4 wheelers), Subies are a safe choice for the granola and ganja crowd.
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    133 times

Just placed an order for a GMC Canyon SLE. Got the LFX V6 with all the towing options. Pretty impressed with how this thing drives. Obviously a compromise vehicle but I need one vehicle to do it all.

I should receive it in about 5weeks +/-. I'll make sure to post pictures and review it here.

P.S. Thanks for the recommendation, Eric Green. Checked the options, pricing and test drove it, perfect vehicle for what i need.
    Last edited by ebruner; 04-04-2015 at 05:45 PM.
    Red_5 and Blackbird like this.

Liked
    717 times

Glad to be of assistance. I guess that AC-less drive back from CVR was the straw that broke the camel's back? Couldn't wait for the diesel? Congratulations, I can't wait to hear more about it.

Does this mean you'll be joining SPM soon?
    Last edited by Red_5; 04-04-2015 at 06:35 PM.
    ebruner likes this.

Liked
    133 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    Glad to be of assistance. I guess that AC-less drive back from CVR was the straw that broke the camel's back? Couldn't wait for the diesel? Congratulations, I can't wait to hear more about it.

Does this mean you'll be joining SPM soon?
    lol. I've been needing a new daily driver for a while. I figured i'd go take a look at these and see if i can kill two birds with one stone. I've sorta been wanting a pickup like vehicle for a while but i definitely don't have the space for a full size. The GMC dealer sorta made it such a good deal i'd be dumb not to jump on it. I considered trying to stick it out another model year for the diesel but the wife took one look at this thing and sorta fell in love with it, so I didn't fight it. At this point it's her motivating to whole thing so meh, i'm just gonna roll with it.

Regarding SPM. This is definitely one of the last of the big steps I would need to take. (tow vehicle, cage, trailer). I'm not sure where this is all going and the timeline for the moment but the biggest of the hurdles is now over.

Liked
    864 times

A new schlepp wagen for the wine and brie crowd (overseas at least):

Mercedes Still Considering Bringing New Pickup Truck to U.S.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast