+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: What's your ideal daily driver / tow vehicle?

Liked
    732 times

Quote Originally Posted by madant15 View Post
    My new daily driver. Comfortable, nimble enough for traffic, 6 speed, incredible off road ability, decent fuel economy, and a 6500lb tow capacity.
    2012 Tacoma Baja Series
    That's HAWT.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    5 times

We bought a 2012 F150 Ecoboost around 9 months ago. My girlfriend daily drives it and we tow with it to autox/track events. She gets 16-22mpg, depending on how much hooning she does, hehe. Typical average is 18-20mpg in the city and 14-15mpg towing with a 1300lb open trailer with the s2k on it. I was never much of a truck person until I started driving this beast around town, it's a lot of fun!

ucfbrett likes this.
    - Chris L -
    2000 Miata
    www.RoadsterRacing.com

Liked
    695 times

^^Nice but what kind of mileage do you get towing the enclosed trailer?
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    633 times

Finally,after almost an year searching i got the diesel Even towed the E30 to BRP last weekend.Gets 17.5 MPG going thru Grapevine and 19 MPG towing on flat,65 MPH.I can even do 22 MPG in the city driving like Yoda,or like another very old man.I didnt have the chance to drive on a freeway without trailer,but many owners have reported 33 MPG at 70 MPH.
    The old X5 was very competent towing vehicle with it's sport suspension and rear air self leveling suspension.I have towed more than 7000 lbs without even sweating,but the power band was not very suitable,and the tranny always wanted to unlock the overdrive when you dont need to,and not unlock it when you need.The diesel is absolutely stunning with a 425 ft/lbs of torque @1750 RPM(475 with ECU flash) and TC programmed to unlock only at critical moments.With 4500-5000 lbs it goes up grapevine on 6th gear with 65 MPH,needs 5th only at a few spots.The electronic gizmos are pretty cool too,but I still cant choose which model I like better.Ooops,and it has almost 1300 lbs over the old model,pretty serious gain weight.i wish can have the old body with this engine and transmission.Which combo is actually available in other parts of the world.At the end of the day I got a sweet deal and after selling the old X5 my total will be close to half what the car is worth.

dsc_5766.jpg
    dsc_5769.jpg
    hakeem, suki101 and Force McCocken like this.

Liked
    977 times

Nice pickup Kiril! I thought about getting either a Q7 or X5 diesel, but the towing rating for both was only 6000lbs IIRC which would not get it done with an enclosed trailer.

Liked
    732 times

I still like this: 4x2 XL Double Cab Pick-up Hi-Rider 2.2L TDI

150 hp/276 ft/lb
    7700# towing
    21 city/ 34 hwy observed

Ford Australia - Ranger - 4x2 XL Double Cab Pick-up Hi-Rider 2.2L
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    633 times

Yeah,looks like European automakers here are underrating the tow capacity by a lot.As I mentioned the X5 is very competent in towing,no sway whatsoever,monstrous brakes,self leveling rear suspension and so on.I would feel confident to tow even 8k lbs,especially with the old one.The new one has even a "anti-sway" program in the stability control.Looks like it may come handy some day,this car lacking self-leveling suspension.

Liked
    35 times

I love my 2011 durango v8 and use it for towing the s2k/miata in an open trailer, but the gas mileage is downright terrible towing or otherwise. At very best, it gets 20 all highway and mayb 13-16 towing to BRP. Around town its more like 12-13. I think that f150 ecoboost might have been a better choice and more useful for me with the crew cab and small bed.

Btw, what trailer is that ^^
    Last edited by albertg; 10-25-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by albertg View Post
    I love my 2011 durango v8 and use it for towing the s2k/miata in an open trailer, but the gas mileage is downright terrible towing or otherwise. At very best, it gets 20 all highway and mayb 13-16 towing to BRP. Around town its more like 12-13.
    I have a 2012 Durango and have the same issue. It's a great machine, but the gas mileage towing an enclosed trailer is horrific.

Liked
    633 times

You guys are getting pretty much the same mileage i get with the X5 4.6is.For that reason I got another car that I use for a commuter most of the time.Of course it gets around 18 mpg mixed( i have a heavy foot),so the diesel might beat both in combined mileage.I dont feel the urge to push it to the floor,so that may be another benefit in a long run
    The trailer is just a generic,cheapest one brand new that I was able to find 2 years ago.Later installed a box,winch and electric jack and for under $2400 I have a fully loaded one.

Liked
    26 times

Love my 2500HD diesel with short bed is not that hard to driver around in town.
    http://touringcarclub.net/

Liked
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    ^^Nice but what kind of mileage do you get towing the enclosed trailer?
    That was our friend's enclosed trailer. We were getting 10-11mpg towing that sucker, empty. 15-16 towing the open trailer with a car on it.
    Red_5 likes this.
    - Chris L -
    2000 Miata
    www.RoadsterRacing.com

Liked
    695 times

This might be my new favorite for tow vehicle / daily driver. The 2016 GMC with 2.8l diesel.

2015 GMC Canyon First Look - Motor Trend
    Force McCocken likes this.

Liked
    255 times

I towed my track trailer out to Johnson Valley this weekend (not car to track, but buggy to desert)... up over Cojon pass, very windy and ~7 miles of dirt roads(each way)... I typically tow @ 9 over the posted speed, this trip I was a little faster...

Computer showed a jaw dropping 18.7mpg average for the weekend, undoubtedly optimistic... but even if it's 80% of that, I got still ~15mpg. Amazing, I absolutely love the new truck.

On the daily driver front, I just picked up a used Toyota Sienna... So far it's sucks a whole bunch,,, Really really hate driving it, and the Toyota computer shows 1mpg worse than Ram computer on my daily commute. So I got that going for me...

BID
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    633 times

I can do 19 mpg doing 65 mph with the open trailer on a flat.I have checked the mileage on my OBC 2 times from full to full over ~500 miles(that is the range in mixed driving) and it may vary by no more than 5 %.So your result is not questionable at all,and untouchable by any gas rig.

Liked
    695 times

Quote Originally Posted by bikeindirt View Post
    I towed my track trailer out to Johnson Valley this weekend (not car to track, but buggy to desert)... up over Cojon pass, very windy and ~7 miles of dirt roads(each way)... I typically tow @ 9 over the posted speed, this trip I was a little faster...

Computer showed a jaw dropping 18.7mpg average for the weekend, undoubtedly optimistic... but even if it's 80% of that, I got still ~15mpg. Amazing, I absolutely love the new truck.

On the daily driver front, I just picked up a used Toyota Sienna... So far it's sucks a whole bunch,,, Really really hate driving it, and the Toyota computer shows 1mpg worse than Ram computer on my daily commute. So I got that going for me...

BID
    Awesome mileage for the truck.

Why did you get a minivan? I love our Honda minivan for hauling kids but it also gets surprisingly poor gas mileage. Have never gotten anywhere near the rated 25 mpg highway and I usually stay under 70.

Liked
    255 times

couple other notes on the truck,

I just past 3k miles so I expect things to get better as it breaks in,,,
    When I was shopping, all the talk about the DEF fluid sort of worried me... The 5.5 gallon tank is currently shows over 3/4 full. (3k miles = 1.3g) so it looks like I will learn about buying/filling up the DEF early next year???? hardly an issue.

The minivan is for the dog (I know how that sounds)... having him jumping down from the back seat of the truck was staring to worry me. This seemed like a good way to get his front joints to last a little longer...
    BID
    robburgoon likes this.

Liked
    1428 times

The minivan is for the dog (I know how that sounds)... having him jumping down from the back seat of the truck was staring to worry me. This seemed like a good way to get his front joints to last a little longer...
    BID
    True love right there!

Liked
    633 times

When I was shopping, all the talk about the DEF fluid sort of worried me... The 5.5 gallon tank is currently shows over 3/4 full. (3k miles = 1.3g) so it looks like I will learn about buying/filling up the DEF early next year???? hardly an issue.
    I just got a nice and polite message on the [high-res] dash :"No start in 935 miles"
    DEF is $28 per gallon at BMW dealer,$8 per gallon at VW dealer and $6 per gallon on the tap at the truck stops.According to BMW rumors 8 gallons should be good for 12 to 15 k miles,so not a big deal.

Liked
    732 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    This might be my new favorite for tow vehicle / daily driver. The 2016 GMC with 2.8l diesel.

2015 GMC Canyon First Look - Motor Trend

OOO!

Daddy like!

Can't wait for the specs on the Duramax version. Just gotta pick which of my relatives back in Detroit can help me with employee pricing the most!
    Yer pal,
    Force

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast