+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: What's your ideal daily driver / tow vehicle?

Liked
    28 times

With a light, open trailer and light car, I think my '01 5.3L Tahoe would be good. Heck, it's doing admirably with the 22ft [aluminum] enclosed and the Miata with a fancy Equal-i-zer WD hitch. But I think eventually I will go 2500HD... I've been told the 3500 isn't worth the extra pain when driving it around you really feel the extra front spring. I'm trying to decide between diesel and gas. I'm really wanting diesel but just not completely sold. A buddy just bought a '10 Ford F250 diesel which pulled his packed, heavy 20ft enclosed amazingly well. And other folks in the know have 2500 GM diesels that seem to work amazingly well, too.

When life slows a little, I'm going to re-evaluate. Until then the Tahoe it is. It's working for towing. It's worked for commuting a tonne in SF Bay before I bought the C6 to drive. I know the 5.3 has some rod knock and whatnot, and it's not the strongest motor, but it gets me from Redwood City to Willows, Sonoma, and Monterey just fine! It may dislike the Buttonwillow run up the hills, but I haven't tried it yet to know...

Liked
    2283 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    His response is more likely the result of a quick iPhone use.
    yes, it was my iphone. I was on a kayak when I posted it....

Armada was rated "unreliable" by CR few years back. it is now "average". looking up online, it says it is unreliable with "climate system", "suspension" and "body hardware" for 2010 model. for 2004 model, it is pretty much unreliable across the board. CR only listed 2004 and 2010. but Suburban/Tahoe is no better.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    yes, it was my iphone. I was on a kayak when I posted it....

Armada was rated "unreliable" by CR few years back. it is now "average". looking up online, it says it is unreliable with "climate system", "suspension" and "body hardware" for 2010 model. for 2004 model, it is pretty much unreliable across the board. CR only listed 2004 and 2010. but Suburban/Tahoe is no better.
    Thanks for the info.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by gkmccready View Post
    With a light, open trailer and light car, I think my '01 5.3L Tahoe would be good. Heck, it's doing admirably with the 22ft [aluminum] enclosed and the Miata with a fancy Equal-i-zer WD hitch. But I think eventually I will go 2500HD... I've been told the 3500 isn't worth the extra pain when driving it around you really feel the extra front spring. I'm trying to decide between diesel and gas. I'm really wanting diesel but just not completely sold. A buddy just bought a '10 Ford F250 diesel which pulled his packed, heavy 20ft enclosed amazingly well. And other folks in the know have 2500 GM diesels that seem to work amazingly well, too.

When life slows a little, I'm going to re-evaluate. Until then the Tahoe it is. It's working for towing. It's worked for commuting a tonne in SF Bay before I bought the C6 to drive. I know the 5.3 has some rod knock and whatnot, and it's not the strongest motor, but it gets me from Redwood City to Willows, Sonoma, and Monterey just fine! It may dislike the Buttonwillow run up the hills, but I haven't tried it yet to know...
    I tow a 350z on an open 1450lb trailer with a 5.3 tahoe also. Granted, I'm the east coast (not too much in the way of steep slopes), but it does the job quite well. Biggest gripe for me is the 26g gas tank....wish it was larger. Biggest thing is keeping the 4l60e cool.

MJM
    Liked
    9 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    Actually not a bad idea for same class racers. One stacker trailer to share and only one tow vehicle. Share the fuel costs, etc. Hey Flink if you get a T1 car you can store it in my shop and we can each sell our enclosed trailers and buy one stacker. I will do the towing with my truck and you can "arrive and drive in your X5". That has a nice ring to it huh? No more mess at your house and no more bmw engine parts in your kitchen!
    I've been looking at stackers for awhile. Only problem is you are talking $25k for a bare bones model.

MJM
    Liked
    9 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    ^^^ I see combination motor homes (with those whatever you call them walls that push out hydraulically to make the interior bigger when parked and fancy trailers. Some of those rigs cost $350,000 or more. For years I drove to the track with all my gear in a $3,000 Miata.
    I'll sell you mine for $175,000

4747673820_36a52c5bcb_b.jpg
    Last edited by MJM; 07-16-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    Actually not a bad idea for same class racers. One stacker trailer to share and only one tow vehicle. Share the fuel costs, etc. Hey Flink if you get a T1 car you can store it in my shop and we can each sell our enclosed trailers and buy one stacker. I will do the towing with my truck and you can "arrive and drive in your X5". That has a nice ring to it huh? No more mess at your house and no more bmw engine parts in your kitchen!

Let's get Flink started on his T1 Corvette. Send him to this link:
    Gold Chains

:-0
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Sir flink
    Liked
    552 times

t1 vettes r slo.

GTS3 e36s (except mine) do 1:47's all day around Sears. The Edge Motorworks e30 has done 1:45.6.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by flink View Post
    t1 vettes r slo.

GTS3 e36s (except mine) do 1:47's all day around Sears. The Edge Motorworks e30 has done 1:45.6.
    Bill can drop 2 seconds if he shaves off his chest hair and hangs the gold chains in the trailer.
    redtopz and bawareca like this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by flink View Post
    t1 vettes r slo.

Well our cars are fast but our driving is slo. That's how we roll .
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    704 times

We seemed to have narrowed the search to 3 vehicles to present to the CEO.

Current gen Dodge Durango - most favorable size but not many used examples to choose from.

Current (2nd) gen Toyota Sequoia - we're replacing a 4Runner so . . .

Nissan Armada - we already talked about them, still on the list.

Anybody have 2nd gen Sequoia experience? Looks like only the top trim level has air suspension.

Liked
    704 times

It looks like it will be a V8 Durango. It won't be a daily driver but should tow just fine.

Liked
    704 times

We ended up getting an '08 Chrysler Aspen with Hemi, AWD and Towing package. It's rated at 8700 pounds towing capacity, I plan on staying well below 7000 pounds so I think it will be fine. This will be replacing the '98 4Runner that I've been towing my open trailer with for the last 3 years and won't be a daily driver. I'll be selling both the Bri-Mar 16' full deck trailer and '98 4Runner Limited and not afraid to make a package deal.

img_0372.jpg
    hakeem and granth like this.

Liked
    1477 times

Congrats! I don't think I'd go longer than 20' for an enclosed trailer with that towing capacity, but then I don't really know what I'm talking about, being this new to towing. Enjoy.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    11 times

My new daily driver. Comfortable, nimble enough for traffic, 6 speed, incredible off road ability, decent fuel economy, and a 6500lb tow capacity.
    2012 Tacoma Baja Series
    ucfbrett and redtopz like this.

Liked
    2243 times

We ended up getting an '08 Chrysler Aspen with Hemi, AWD and Towing package. It's rated at 8700 pounds towing capacity, I plan on staying well below 7000 pounds so I think it will be fine. This will be replacing the '98 4Runner that I've been towing my open trailer with for the last 3 years and won't be a daily driver. I'll be selling both the Bri-Mar 16' full deck trailer and '98 4Runner Limited and not afraid to make a package deal.

Attachment 4902

I'm still in awe of how clean that thing is.

Liked
    744 times

Dragging this back up.
    Thinking of an 05 Frontier with the Crew Cab or 03+ V8 4runner. This IS a DD for me, can't justify a full-size.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    2243 times

^^ Again, the selection begins with how much weight you plan to tow.

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    Dragging this back up.
    Thinking of an 05 Frontier with the Crew Cab or 03+ V8 4runner. This IS a DD for me, can't justify a full-size.
    I would also look at the Tacoma. IIRC, it comes with a transmission cooler and possibly engine oil cooler. I don't think the Frontier has extra coolers but I haven't looked at either in the awhile.

Liked
    744 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    ^^ Again, the selection begins with how much weight you plan to tow.
    Right. I think a SM + open trailer + tools and tires, etc. ~ 4500#. The V8 4Rs tow 7000# with the class V hitch.

I would also look at the Tacoma. IIRC, it comes with a transmission cooler and possibly engine oil cooler. I don't think the Frontier has extra coolers but I haven't looked at either in the awhile.
    I love the Taco, but looking used, the they hold their value insanely well. It isn't off the table, but jeebus... I would LOVE a crew cab truck the size of the Taco or Frontier. Would love it to be 4x4, too for the trips to OBX (Carolla Beach) and Appalachians.
    Yer pal,
    Force

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast