+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 368
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: What's your ideal daily driver / tow vehicle?

  1. #181
    Senior Member gkmccready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    Posts
    316
    Liked
    28 times

    Default

    With a light, open trailer and light car, I think my '01 5.3L Tahoe would be good. Heck, it's doing admirably with the 22ft [aluminum] enclosed and the Miata with a fancy Equal-i-zer WD hitch. But I think eventually I will go 2500HD... I've been told the 3500 isn't worth the extra pain when driving it around you really feel the extra front spring. I'm trying to decide between diesel and gas. I'm really wanting diesel but just not completely sold. A buddy just bought a '10 Ford F250 diesel which pulled his packed, heavy 20ft enclosed amazingly well. And other folks in the know have 2500 GM diesels that seem to work amazingly well, too.

    When life slows a little, I'm going to re-evaluate. Until then the Tahoe it is. It's working for towing. It's worked for commuting a tonne in SF Bay before I bought the C6 to drive. I know the 5.3 has some rod knock and whatnot, and it's not the strongest motor, but it gets me from Redwood City to Willows, Sonoma, and Monterey just fine! It may dislike the Buttonwillow run up the hills, but I haven't tried it yet to know...

  2. #182
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,645
    Liked
    2283 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    His response is more likely the result of a quick iPhone use.
    yes, it was my iphone. I was on a kayak when I posted it....

    Armada was rated "unreliable" by CR few years back. it is now "average". looking up online, it says it is unreliable with "climate system", "suspension" and "body hardware" for 2010 model. for 2004 model, it is pretty much unreliable across the board. CR only listed 2004 and 2010. but Suburban/Tahoe is no better.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

  3. #183
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,188
    Liked
    704 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    yes, it was my iphone. I was on a kayak when I posted it....

    Armada was rated "unreliable" by CR few years back. it is now "average". looking up online, it says it is unreliable with "climate system", "suspension" and "body hardware" for 2010 model. for 2004 model, it is pretty much unreliable across the board. CR only listed 2004 and 2010. but Suburban/Tahoe is no better.
    Thanks for the info.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  4. #184
    Wants to be fast 03threefiftyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    39
    Liked
    0 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gkmccready View Post
    With a light, open trailer and light car, I think my '01 5.3L Tahoe would be good. Heck, it's doing admirably with the 22ft [aluminum] enclosed and the Miata with a fancy Equal-i-zer WD hitch. But I think eventually I will go 2500HD... I've been told the 3500 isn't worth the extra pain when driving it around you really feel the extra front spring. I'm trying to decide between diesel and gas. I'm really wanting diesel but just not completely sold. A buddy just bought a '10 Ford F250 diesel which pulled his packed, heavy 20ft enclosed amazingly well. And other folks in the know have 2500 GM diesels that seem to work amazingly well, too.

    When life slows a little, I'm going to re-evaluate. Until then the Tahoe it is. It's working for towing. It's worked for commuting a tonne in SF Bay before I bought the C6 to drive. I know the 5.3 has some rod knock and whatnot, and it's not the strongest motor, but it gets me from Redwood City to Willows, Sonoma, and Monterey just fine! It may dislike the Buttonwillow run up the hills, but I haven't tried it yet to know...
    I tow a 350z on an open 1450lb trailer with a 5.3 tahoe also. Granted, I'm the east coast (not too much in the way of steep slopes), but it does the job quite well. Biggest gripe for me is the 26g gas tank....wish it was larger. Biggest thing is keeping the 4l60e cool.

  5. #185
    MJM
    MJM is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    108
    Liked
    9 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    Actually not a bad idea for same class racers. One stacker trailer to share and only one tow vehicle. Share the fuel costs, etc. Hey Flink if you get a T1 car you can store it in my shop and we can each sell our enclosed trailers and buy one stacker. I will do the towing with my truck and you can "arrive and drive in your X5". That has a nice ring to it huh? No more mess at your house and no more bmw engine parts in your kitchen!
    I've been looking at stackers for awhile. Only problem is you are talking $25k for a bare bones model.

  6. #186
    MJM
    MJM is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    108
    Liked
    9 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    ^^^ I see combination motor homes (with those whatever you call them walls that push out hydraulically to make the interior bigger when parked and fancy trailers. Some of those rigs cost $350,000 or more. For years I drove to the track with all my gear in a $3,000 Miata.
    I'll sell you mine for $175,000


    4747673820_36a52c5bcb_b.jpg
    Last edited by MJM; 07-16-2012 at 07:24 PM.

  7. #187
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,088
    Liked
    2165 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    Actually not a bad idea for same class racers. One stacker trailer to share and only one tow vehicle. Share the fuel costs, etc. Hey Flink if you get a T1 car you can store it in my shop and we can each sell our enclosed trailers and buy one stacker. I will do the towing with my truck and you can "arrive and drive in your X5". That has a nice ring to it huh? No more mess at your house and no more bmw engine parts in your kitchen!

    Let's get Flink started on his T1 Corvette. Send him to this link:
    Gold Chains


    :-0
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  8. #188
    Sir flink
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    982
    Liked
    552 times

    Default

    t1 vettes r slo.

    GTS3 e36s (except mine) do 1:47's all day around Sears. The Edge Motorworks e30 has done 1:45.6.

  9. #189
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,088
    Liked
    2165 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flink View Post
    t1 vettes r slo.

    GTS3 e36s (except mine) do 1:47's all day around Sears. The Edge Motorworks e30 has done 1:45.6.
    Bill can drop 2 seconds if he shaves off his chest hair and hangs the gold chains in the trailer.
    redtopz and bawareca like this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  10. #190
    Spec Backhoe Champion redtopz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,229
    Liked
    981 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flink View Post
    t1 vettes r slo.

    GTS3 e36s (except mine) do 1:47's all day around Sears. The Edge Motorworks e30 has done 1:45.6.
    Well our cars are fast but our driving is slo. That's how we roll .
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

  11. #191
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,188
    Liked
    704 times

    Default

    We seemed to have narrowed the search to 3 vehicles to present to the CEO.

    Current gen Dodge Durango - most favorable size but not many used examples to choose from.

    Current (2nd) gen Toyota Sequoia - we're replacing a 4Runner so . . .

    Nissan Armada - we already talked about them, still on the list.

    Anybody have 2nd gen Sequoia experience? Looks like only the top trim level has air suspension.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  12. #192
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,188
    Liked
    704 times

    Default

    It looks like it will be a V8 Durango. It won't be a daily driver but should tow just fine.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  13. #193
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,188
    Liked
    704 times

    Default

    We ended up getting an '08 Chrysler Aspen with Hemi, AWD and Towing package. It's rated at 8700 pounds towing capacity, I plan on staying well below 7000 pounds so I think it will be fine. This will be replacing the '98 4Runner that I've been towing my open trailer with for the last 3 years and won't be a daily driver. I'll be selling both the Bri-Mar 16' full deck trailer and '98 4Runner Limited and not afraid to make a package deal.

    img_0372.jpg
    hakeem and granth like this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  14. #194
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default

    Congrats! I don't think I'd go longer than 20' for an enclosed trailer with that towing capacity, but then I don't really know what I'm talking about, being this new to towing. Enjoy.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  15. #195
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    128
    Liked
    11 times

    Default

    My new daily driver. Comfortable, nimble enough for traffic, 6 speed, incredible off road ability, decent fuel economy, and a 6500lb tow capacity.
    2012 Tacoma Baja Series
    ucfbrett and redtopz like this.

  16. #196
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,449
    Liked
    2243 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    We ended up getting an '08 Chrysler Aspen with Hemi, AWD and Towing package. It's rated at 8700 pounds towing capacity, I plan on staying well below 7000 pounds so I think it will be fine. This will be replacing the '98 4Runner that I've been towing my open trailer with for the last 3 years and won't be a daily driver. I'll be selling both the Bri-Mar 16' full deck trailer and '98 4Runner Limited and not afraid to make a package deal.

    Attachment 4902

    I'm still in awe of how clean that thing is.

  17. #197
    RaceTape Ninja Force McCocken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,440
    Liked
    744 times

    Default

    Dragging this back up.
    Thinking of an 05 Frontier with the Crew Cab or 03+ V8 4runner. This IS a DD for me, can't justify a full-size.
    Yer pal,
    Force

  18. #198
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,449
    Liked
    2243 times

    Default

    ^^ Again, the selection begins with how much weight you plan to tow.

  19. #199
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,188
    Liked
    704 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    Dragging this back up.
    Thinking of an 05 Frontier with the Crew Cab or 03+ V8 4runner. This IS a DD for me, can't justify a full-size.
    I would also look at the Tacoma. IIRC, it comes with a transmission cooler and possibly engine oil cooler. I don't think the Frontier has extra coolers but I haven't looked at either in the awhile.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  20. #200
    RaceTape Ninja Force McCocken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,440
    Liked
    744 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    ^^ Again, the selection begins with how much weight you plan to tow.
    Right. I think a SM + open trailer + tools and tires, etc. ~ 4500#. The V8 4Rs tow 7000# with the class V hitch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    I would also look at the Tacoma. IIRC, it comes with a transmission cooler and possibly engine oil cooler. I don't think the Frontier has extra coolers but I haven't looked at either in the awhile.
    I love the Taco, but looking used, the they hold their value insanely well. It isn't off the table, but jeebus... I would LOVE a crew cab truck the size of the Taco or Frontier. Would love it to be 4x4, too for the trips to OBX (Carolla Beach) and Appalachians.
    Yer pal,
    Force

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts