+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: What's your ideal daily driver / tow vehicle?

Liked
    655 times

Default What's your ideal daily driver / tow vehicle?

If you had to chose one vehicle that had to be your daily driver and tow your race car, what would it be and why?

My ideal truck would basically be the previous generation Tundra sized with about 3-4 liter turbo diesel, tow rating around 7-8k pounds and get 25 mpg non-towing mixed driving. Since this doesn't exist in the US at the moment, I'm leaning toward a 1/2 ton GMC crew cab but that's this week. G

M 5.3 seems to be the most fuel efficient for the power out currently. The Ford Eco Boost doesn't seem to do any better mileage wise when not towing and gets really bad under load.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2036 times

for towing something small. I loved my v6 Nissan Pathfinder (they had a v8 version). it worked as:

1. tow vehicle. v6 had a 6,000LB tow rating. good enough for open steel trailer (1,600LB) and a Miata (2,200LB). even better with aluminum trailer (800LB). averages 14mpg when towing.
    2. daily. a mid size SUV. it averages 19mpg
    3. minivan. it is a 7 seater. a tight fit for the last row, but okay for little kids.
    4. off road vehicle. if you have the 4x4. truck chassis.

it doesn't do everything well. but good enough for most.
    SteveLevin likes this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    16 Cruze, free car !!
    14 Spark EV, 400 ft/lb
    08 M3
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR

Liked
    954 times

I like your "ideal" truck. This has been my daily driver and tow vehicle for the past 6 years and 140,000 miles:

Honestly, it's probably the best vehicle I've ever owned mostly due to the engine but also the steering and brakes. I was buying and trading in 3/4 ton pickups every couple years until I bought this. It rides exactly the same as the day I bought it except with more power. Yeah I'm a farmer, it's a huge truck, and not a cushy ride but I'm used to it. A year ago I found myself wandering around carmax looking for a 2nd vehicle to get around town and keep some miles off my truck. I ended up buying a vehicle I knew nothing about but might fit your needs perfectly. A 2008 Toyota 4Runner "Sport" with a 4.7L V8 and tow package. It rides great/sporty, has a really comfortable interior, and lots of torque. It's amazingly quiet, handles like a car, and has a tow rating of 7500 lbs. I assume you could get the same package in a Tacoma truck but I'm not sure. My daughter will start driving it this year when she turns 16.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    0 times

I have an 08 Tundra with the 5.7 that I bought brand new May of 08 after previously owning two different silverados. I have 118,000 miles on the truck now and more than 60k of that is towing my race car and trailer to so-cal etc from Washington. This is the list of what I've replaced... A Serpentine belt, front brake pads...
    It's still just as tight as the day I bought it, I get 17.2-17.5 on the freeway at 70mph. It get's 13.5-14.2 towing a 20 foot open trailer with an integra type r on it and a full bed of race gear for a weekend... and will go as fast as you want it to. I've added exhaust and an intake to it being the only mods and it's faster than many street cars! By comparison. My Silverado's were piston slap nightmares, had far less power, I had both the 5.3 and 6.0. They both were on Trans Number 2 by 60k. The interior's rattles, the seat bolsters had worn out, etc... I can't say anything about the eco boost except that they get good mpg when not towing, but when towing it's no better than anything else. Fords transmission are notorious junk, and Dodge well... yeah except for the cummins that is. Just look at the difference in brakes, rear end, and control arms etc and the Tundra is superior. Any company that will warranty a Supercharger that gives it over 500 hp and tq should tell you something about the driveline in this truck!

Liked
    58 times

I had been driving my chevy 2500HD with tow package (4.10s) for a few weeks... it's half the reason I went to get a new car... i couldn't stand it.

Stiff springs, bouncing ride, ****ty gas milage...

I went basic tow truck and it was that... I can say that the Denali towed my car no problem and was pretty plush inside.. but I just don't like the idea of the giant daily driver.

Liked
    1332 times

ideal tow vehicle - truck
    ideal daily - miata
    ideal race car - caged miata

Liked
    2103 times

The EcoBoost is getting a lot of favorable ink, and it comprises somewhere around half the engines in F-150s sold, but I'm going to wait and see on that one. I just don't foresee longevity.

But I know what you mean. I have a half-ton crew cab as a daily driver. It's been a fine truck, but I'd still rather have a little four-banger (even an electric for the city driving I do) to run around in and a truck just for towing.

Liked
    2103 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    ideal daily - miata
    I agree but I need four seats and four doors for the kids.

Liked
    1332 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    I agree but I need four seats and four doors for the kids.
    SRT-4 neon!

UPDATE: ideal race car - dented miata

Liked
    11 times

Ideal Tow Truck/ Off road truck: V6 Manual TRD Prerunner Tacoma (6 months away)
    Ideal Race Car: S2000 (I have that one under control)
    Ideal "Nice" Car/ Partial DD: Porsche 911 GT3 or maybe Tesla Model S (4-5 years away)

Liked
    2103 times

SRT-4 neon!

Here is where I unfairly start adding criteria. I need better mileage than that. I was thinking 2008 Mazda3, or, if Chevrolet would bring it to the U.S., a Cruze wagon.

Maybe an HHR.

Liked
    3 times

I haven't driven a lot of SUVs / trucks, but if it has enough capacity, probably a Porsche Cayenne or some other sporty SUV that the SO would actually use as her car.

Otherwise, something so cheap that it makes sense to use solely as a tow vehicle, but I know this wasn't a criterion of yours.
    '05 Lotus Elise
    '16 Porsche Cayman GT4

Liked
    2036 times

Quote Originally Posted by madant15 View Post
    Ideal Tow Truck/ Off road truck: V6 Manual TRD Prerunner Tacoma (6 months away)
    that reminded me a related question:

is auto a better choice for towing ?
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    16 Cruze, free car !!
    14 Spark EV, 400 ft/lb
    08 M3
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR

Liked
    2103 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    that reminded me a related question:

is auto a better choice for towing ?
    If you mean an automatic transmission, yes, they are better for towing. Manuals are strong enough, but they are not nearly as convenient. I also have reservations about clutch longevity if you do a lot of towing.

Liked
    977 times

Where I live, driving a full size truck as a daily is not an option. Tried it with a new F250 in '05. Therefore, daily driver: Volt, tow vehicle: Suburban 2500 454.

Liked
    2103 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Where I live, driving a full size truck as a daily is not an option. Tried it with a new F250 in '05. Therefore, daily driver: Volt, tow vehicle: Suburban 2500 454.

I had a buddy that lived in Manhattan Beach. He used to drive a big Suburban around those tiny streets. He finally capitulated and bought a Mini.

Liked
    655 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    for towing something small. I loved my v6 Nissan Pathfinder (they had a v8 version). it worked as:

1. tow vehicle. v6 had a 6,000LB tow rating. good enough for open steel trailer (1,600LB) and a Miata (2,200LB). even better with aluminum trailer (800LB). averages 14mpg when towing.
    2. daily. a mid size SUV. it averages 19mpg
    3. minivan. it is a 7 seater. a tight fit for the last row, but okay for little kids.
    4. off road vehicle. if you have the 4x4. truck chassis.

it doesn't do everything well. but good enough for most.
    I was bummed that you sold it without mentioning it to me. Did you sell it with the airbags and everything? It would be a good interim vehicle while I still have an open trailer.
    Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    A 2008 Toyota 4Runner "Sport" with a 4.7L V8 and tow package. It rides great/sporty, has a really comfortable interior, and lots of torque. It's amazingly quiet, handles like a car, and has a tow rating of 7500 lbs. I assume you could get the same package in a Tacoma truck but I'm not sure. My daughter will start driving it this year when she turns 16.
    V8 not available on Tacoma. Good idea and makes me think again about the first gen Sequoia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwapu View Post
    I have an 08 Tundra with the 5.7 that I bought brand new May of 08 after previously owning two different silverados. I have 118,000 miles on the truck now and more than 60k of that is towing my race car and trailer to so-cal etc from Washington. This is the list of what I've replaced... A Serpentine belt, front brake pads...
    It's still just as tight as the day I bought it, I get 17.2-17.5 on the freeway at 70mph. It get's 13.5-14.2 towing a 20 foot open trailer with an integra type r on it and a full bed of race gear for a weekend... and will go as fast as you want it to. I've added exhaust and an intake to it being the only mods and it's faster than many street cars! By comparison. My Silverado's were piston slap nightmares, had far less power, I had both the 5.3 and 6.0. They both were on Trans Number 2 by 60k. The interior's rattles, the seat bolsters had worn out, etc... I can't say anything about the eco boost except that they get good mpg when not towing, but when towing it's no better than anything else. Fords transmission are notorious junk, and Dodge well... yeah except for the cummins that is. Just look at the difference in brakes, rear end, and control arms etc and the Tundra is superior. Any company that will warranty a Supercharger that gives it over 500 hp and tq should tell you something about the driveline in this truck!
    I like the Tundras but they're fuel mileage rating is terrible. I haven't heard many problems with the GM 5.3, maybe Brett can chime in on those.
    ideal daily - miata
    Says the single guy with a 3 car garage and no kids.

Sir flink
    Liked
    543 times

I've been towing 2+ years with the BMW x5. 6000lb 22' enclosed. People make comments, but it's surprisingly good at towing: stout suspension, short towing overhang, self-leveling air springs in the rear, engine oil cooler and transmission cooler come stock. And having towed 10-odd hours with redtopz's monster truck pictured above: the x5 is a lot more comfortable. And when the x5 isn't towing, it's a daily driver - brat #3 drives it to school every day. (Including today, the idiot: I'd put my spare engine in the back to take to the machine shop, only he went and kidnapped it!).

So my recommendation is.... the Porsche Cayenne! I think all the above is applicable (not sure about the self-leveling suspension), but the Porsche is rated 8000lbs (or 8200?) versus the x5's 6000 and the Cayenne looks like it's a bit nicer inside.

Liked
    655 times

Quote Originally Posted by flink View Post
    I've been towing 2+ years with the BMW x5. 6000lb 22' enclosed. People make comments, but it's surprisingly good at towing: stout suspension, short towing overhang, self-leveling air springs in the rear, engine oil cooler and transmission cooler come stock. And having towed 10-odd hours with redtopz's monster truck pictured above: the x5 is a lot more comfortable. And when the x5 isn't towing, it's a daily driver - brat #3 drives it to school every day. (Including today, the idiot: I'd put my spare engine in the back to take to the machine shop, only he went and kidnapped it!).

So my recommendation is.... the Porsche Cayenne! I think all the above is applicable (not sure about the self-leveling suspension), but the Porsche is rated 8000lbs (or 8200?) versus the x5's 6000 and the Cayenne looks like it's a bit nicer inside.
    Along those lines, I really like the VW Touareg TDI but those German SUVs scare the crap out me maintenance-wise. I think the VW is rated 19-28 mpg and 7700 pound towing.

Sir flink
    Liked
    543 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    Along those lines, I really like the VW Touareg TDI
    Yes, there are a few SUVs like this, some diesel.

but those German SUVs scare the crap out me maintenance-wise.
    Yep. We have an '01 x5 and an '06 x5 (the '06 is quite a bit better for towing due to its softer suspension) and a *lot* of things have gone wrong with them. Mainly stupid little crap, but the '01 did have its trans computer go pop, stranding the car once. Mechanically they seem solid, but electronic things fail and BMW plastics aren't good.

These modern cars are soooo complex, with so many things to go wrong and when they do, it's $$.

I think the VW is rated 19-28 mpg and 7700 pound towing.
    That sounds good. I get around 11 mpg towing to/from an event, doing 60 or 65. Take the trailer off and it gets 21+ mpg averaging 70 mph

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 13 ... LastLast