• 1 Post By bellwilliam
  • 1 Post By Red_5
  • 3 Post By Red_5
  • 2 Post By bellwilliam

Thread: Trailer Tires

Liked
    717 times

Default Trailer Tires

Is it possible we don't have a trailer tire thread? I know there have been at least one on various FB groups but I didn't find anything here.

I'm always keeping an eye out for deals on good trailer tires - currently for our travel trailer but should work for car hauler too.

Is there a brand you like? Dislike?

We currently have Goodyear Marathons on our TT and I'm not terribly impressed. We've already lost one of the 4 in a matter of months to a cut. I'd like to find something tougher to replace the rest. I'll also likely go to E range from the D range that the trailer came with.

These Hartland tires look promising. I think I've heard good things about them but I couldn't find the info. I like their price and speed rating.

Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

Maxxis also seems to make good trailer tires and since I grew up in Carlisle, I need to mention them as well.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2486 times

Maxxis have proven the toughest and longest lasting. Goodyears trailer tires are junk. Direct experience.
    There is an odd brand, Gladiator that actually makes a good trailer tire. I literally threw away three Goodyears after overheating failures and uneven wear took the other 2 out. Settled on Maxxis M8008 8 plies for my 18.5' enclosed and they look to last like 3x as long.
    My 42' gooseneck came with 12 ply 16" Gladiators. When they die, I'll switch to Maxxis M8008.

Don't be put off by the hokey sounding name. The Gladiators are the best value outside of the Maxxis M8008.
    Also, I was running the M8008 long before Supermiatas relationship with Maxxis and I pay for my trailer tires.
    Red_5 likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    141 times

I have used these Kumho 857 radial with ZERO problems, also "D" rated.
    Lord knows how many miles I have on them and they still look and feel great.
    I do keep my dolly inside, have to think that helps.

Not able to speak for other brands

Liked
    717 times

It was the Gladiators that Emilio mentioned that I was thinking of and not the Hartlands. Thanks. I just missed an extra good deal on the Maxxis, I'll have to keep my eyes out for another deal.

Liked
    1562 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Don't be put off by the hokey sounding name. The Gladiators are the best value outside of the Maxxis M8008.
    How many heat cycles do you get on them?

In all seriousness are you guys who have problems at the upper limit of the tires load capacity? I use really cheapo chinese no name tires without issue and never had a flat but I'm well under the limits just with my vette on an open trailer. The tires sit in the sun and cooks the sidewalls and after some time they look to the point I'd change them even if the tread is still good.
    Last edited by fatbillybob; 03-06-2017 at 08:51 AM.

Liked
    2486 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    In all seriousness are you guys who have problems at the upper limit of the tires load capacity?
    The Goodyears and no name Chinese that were on my 18.5 enclosed were nowhere near their rated limits. The wear was so uneven I actually replaced an axle thinking it was bent. When the fresh tires did the same thing I realized it was the tires. Did some research online and saw the M8008's were something of a gold standard.
    Got a set and was not surprised to see the uneven wear problem vanish. As a bonus, the M8008 was the only radial available in a 8 ply in my size which allowed another 15psi inflation pressure which improved trailer stability and tread life all in one.

I forget the exact story on the Gladiators but it was the owner of a big tire distributorship on the west coast that commissioned the tire from Carlisle as a private label. The intent was to make a high quality tire to compete with the M8008 but at Goodyear prices. It's sorta like the Toyota of trailer tires, no bling, just function.
    Gladiators are well known amongst old time tire industry folk. Dan Howard, the guy I brought on as sales manager late 2016 is a tire industry guy and had the same knowledge experience as me regarding trailer tires. Basically M8008's if its in your budget, Gladiators otherwise.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    430 times

Looks like the M8008 is avaiable in multiply plys in each size. I have 225/75R15 which comes in 8 or 10 ply. How do you pick the ideal ply rating?

If I change to 205/75R15, will this effectively lower my trailer an inch and maybe help with aero drag.

maxxism8088.png
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter
    2016 KTM 690 Duke - parked at the dealer

Liked
    717 times

Quote Originally Posted by b3d3g1 View Post
    Looks like the M8008 is avaiable in multiply plys in each size. I have 225/75R15 which comes in 8 or 10 ply. How do you pick the ideal ply rating?
    My understanding is that you choose based on your trailer axle weight ratings/needs. My TT has two 5k pound rated axles so I like to have tires rated at >2500 pounds each. The GVWR of my TT is less than 10k pounds so my tires will still have some headroom even if they're rated at just 2540 each.

More plies also seems to mean tougher tires and higher psi but also more $.
    Last edited by Red_5; 03-06-2017 at 10:55 AM.

Liked
    2486 times

I just go with the highest ply rating available. More psi means more stability, cooler running and longer lasting tire.

To be blunt, I simply throw money at it because I deplore changing trailer tires on the way to the track out in BFE.

Other stuff
    -Service my trailer hubs about every 8000miles and put new bearings in about every 15k
    -Carry one spare tire for short trips, two spares for long trips
    -Carry two spare backing plate, brakes, drum, hubs, bearings and all tools needed to swap in the field
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    17 times

I'm surprised to hear about problems with Goodyear Marathons. I put a set on my enclosed at the beginning of last season and they still look brand new, although I didn't really do a huge amount of towing miles last year. I settled on the Goodyear after doing a few U-haul trailer rentals and noticing that every U-haul trailer I could find was on Marathons. I figured that said something about their reliability.

Liked
    2357 times

Discount tire is currently running a promo of $100 off $450...... on their ebay site. works on both wheels or tires.

Carlisle trailer tires are a bit too cheap, kinda scare me.....with the coupon, it is under $45 shipped for my trailer......umm...
    shipping with them is free.

coupon code is CTIRES317

for you Maxxis lover:
    Great deals from Discount Tire Direct | eBay Stores

for you Carlisle lover:
    Great deals from Discount Tire Direct | eBay Stores
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 03-08-2017 at 11:18 AM.
    Red_5 likes this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    717 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Maxxis have proven the toughest and longest lasting. Goodyears trailer tires are junk. Direct experience.
    There is an odd brand, Gladiator that actually makes a good trailer tire. I literally threw away three Goodyears after overheating failures and uneven wear took the other 2 out. Settled on Maxxis M8008 8 plies for my 18.5' enclosed and they look to last like 3x as long.
    My 42' gooseneck came with 12 ply 16" Gladiators. When they die, I'll switch to Maxxis M8008.

Also, I was running the M8008 long before Supermiatas relationship with Maxxis and I pay for my trailer tires.
    Do you happen to know the speed rating for the Maxxis M8008? I can't seem to find it listed anywhere.

Liked
    2357 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    Do you happen to know the speed rating for the Maxxis M8008? I can't seem to find it listed anywhere.
    lol...why ? I really would like to know why you need to know speed rating of a trailer tire ?
    b3d3g1 likes this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    717 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    lol...why ? I really would like to know why you need to know speed rating of a trailer tire ?
    I just want to know if they're safe to go over 65 mph occasionally. I'm going to AZ in a couple of weeks and they don't have a trailer speed limit if memory serves me. The Carlisle HD tires have an 81 mph rating and Maxxis says on their site that the M8008 are "high speed" but doesn't list a rating.
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    430 times

-Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter
    2016 KTM 690 Duke - parked at the dealer

Liked
    717 times

Here's my response from Maxxis:

"The Maxxis M8008 ST Radial is "Q" speed rated. However, according to the Tire and Rim Association, the U.S. tire industry specification authority, inflation pressures and load specifications in general for any ST Radial trailer tires, without a service description, regardless of the manufacturer, are designed and rated at 65 MPH. If the speed is higher than 65 MPH, the pressure and load need to be adjusted according to the following guidelines:
    From 66 to 75 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) but requires no load adjustment.

From 76 to 85 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by 10%.

We hope this information is helpful. Thanks for your inquiry and interest in Maxxis Tires."

Edit: I ordered the Maxxis tires. Thanks William for finding the deal. Thanks everyone else for your feedback.
    Last edited by Red_5; 03-10-2017 at 02:23 PM.
    Olitho, bellwilliam and robburgoon like this.

Liked
    2357 times

Eric: didn't know that.... thanks for the info.
    robburgoon and Red_5 like this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

+ Reply to Thread