+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: trailer maintenance - tire pressure monitor, hubs, tire change.....

Liked
    2320 times

Default trailer maintenance - tire pressure monitor, hubs, tire change.....

from all the threads lately, you would think it is now trailerHQ.com
    I thought we should bring in some expertise to trailer maintenance / repair
    it seems trailer owners I know of have dealt with these issues:

tire blow out -
    since trailer is back there. you can't tell that tire pressure is say down 15 psi.

I have tried 2 solutions:
    1. quick pressure tire caps - basically at a predetermined pressure, tire cap show green. If it is 10% below, it shows red. this is a quick and easy way to check tire pressure during trailer hookup and fuel stop. I find this pretty useful
    Amazon.com: Quick Pressure - PSI-50 Tire Pressure Monitor (4 units / pack) Chrome Plated Brass: Automotive

2. tire pressure monitor - I've done some research, this seem to be the best. they are expensive. But honestly I could never get it working correctly. I use a big RV to tow a trailer. distance is just too far from tire sensors to driver seat (even with an additional signal repeater). so I've revert back to #1
    Pacific Dualies – Professional Grade Truck Accessories -
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 04-12-2012 at 09:59 AM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2320 times

hub failure -
    couple of guys here had a hub failure while on the road, it really sucks to have it fail say on FWY 5 outside Buttonwillow. as this is not a part you can run to any auto store and get replacement. I now carry a complete spare hub with my trailer. how much failure do you guys see ? is lube all that's needed ? or is new hub every 10k miles a good idea ?
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2320 times

Tire change -
    so if you have a tire blow out. how do you change a trailer tire with a 3,000LB car sitting on a 3,000LB enclosed trailer ? does your puny HF jack tall and powerful enough to lift 6,000LB ? do you use something like this:
    Amazon.com: Camco Trailer Aid 21 Tandem Tire Changing Ramp (Yellow): Automotive
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Sir flink
    Liked
    553 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    how do you change a trailer tire with a 3,000LB car sitting on a 3,000LB enclosed trailer ?
    Lay down three bits of wood and drive it up:

Liked
    2265 times

For maintaining proper tire pressure, I have found this to be an invaluable tool.

gauge.jpg

I don't like the idea of tire pressure caps because—I believe—they depress the stem of the valve core. I ride my bicyle past where my trailer is stored a few times a week, and I always look at the tires to see if they look low. If something looks amiss, I'll check the pressures when I have the trailer at the house before loading the car. I always have to fill an air tank and top off the car tires before I leave, so I just roll the compressor out to the curb and inflate the trailer tires while I'm at it.

I did a story on a guy who towed his offshore boat with a Freightliner business-class truck. He had a simple trick. He carried his spare tire on a spare hub.

For changing a trailer tire, Trailer Aid is a good solution. Strong and light, but I haven't bought one yet. Until I do, I have 2 x 12's.

Liked
    708 times

Some great ideas here. I always check my trailer tire pressures before I leave for the weekend. I usually have to top them off with my portable jump box/compressor.

Trailer aid is a great idea and will probably get one in the future but I do usually have 2 x 12s with me.

I also like the idea of mounting the spare on an spare hub. I had this idea for bringing spare race tires to the track by mounting them to spare hubs attached to the side of my open trailer. Never got around to trying it though.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    708 times

from all the threads lately, you would think it is now trailerHQ.com
    do you own that domain name Brett?

Liked
    2265 times

^^ No. It looks like a cybersquatter owns it.

Liked
    2320 times

I like tire pressure caps. it is an easy way to check tire pressure during one of the walk around I always do during refuel or bathroom stops. you can't eyeball it 5psi low. which would indicate a slow leak (but will lead to a tire blow out. if you stock say 3 times on the way to a NORCAL track. I doubt you would check all tire pressures by a gauge on 8 tires (4 on tow vehicle, 4 on trailer).
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    708 times

I like tire pressure caps. it is an easy way to check tire pressure during one of the walk around I always do during refuel or bathroom stops. you can't eyeball it 5psi low. which would indicate a slow leak (but will lead to a tire blow out. if you stock say 3 times on the way to a NORCAL track. I doubt you would check all tire pressures by a gauge on 8 tires (4 on tow vehicle, 4 on trailer).
    That's a good point, maybe I'll get some.

Liked
    2216 times

hub failure -
    couple of guys here had a hub failure while on the road, it really sucks to have it fail say on FWY 5 outside Buttonwillow. as this is not a part you can run to any auto store and get replacement. I now carry a complete spare hub with my trailer. how much failure do you guys see ? is lube all that's needed ? or is new hub every 10k miles a good idea ?

I have broken two hubs. Luckily both broke within a few miles of home.

I have since upgraded to 6,000 lb axles, but getting a spare hub is a good idea. I will do that.

Oli
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    2320 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I have broken two hubs. Luckily both broke within a few miles of home.
    Oli
    how did you find out about hub failure. trailer hub is back there. usually one find out when there is fire or smoke coming out of it...
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2216 times

Quote Originally Posted by flink View Post
    Lay down three bits of wood and drive it up:

The wood ramps is what I do, but I always try to do it before I remove the fender!

I did remove a fender once though.

Oli

Oli

Liked
    2216 times

how did you find out about hub failure. trailer hub is back there. usually one find out when there is fire or smoke coming out of it...
    A couple years ago I had just returned from Miller NASA, to Road America SCCA and back to Miller for World Challenge all within a one month span of time on the road.

A few weeks later I was heading back out to my first race and I was turning around on my property with the truck and trailer and I heard it snap while doing the u-turn on a dirt surface. I was lucky it did not happen on one of those lonely spots in Nebraska at 2 AM.

Another time I was a few mile from home while heading to the track. It started rubbing and smoking real bad from one of the wheels. I could feel the drag and smell the smoke. I started for the local trailer service shop immediately while calling them to tell them I was coming. I drove slow while keeping an eye on the wheel from the mirror. While stopping at a light I watched it bobbled badly a couple of times and then pop off and roll past me slowly and hit the curb.

Be careful out there if you suspect a bad hub.

Oli

Liked
    2216 times

I have a couple of tire pressure monitors that work well on my trailer and my wife's horse trailer.

After about a year my TPMS just broke, but it has worked well enough I plan to order another one from Northern Tool at $119.
    Well, I guess they are $129 now:

Accutire Wireless RF Digital Tire Pressure Monitoring System — For Trailer Towing and Vehicles, Model# MS-4368GB | Tire Equipment | Northern Tool + Equipment

Oli

Liked
    2320 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I have a couple of tire pressure monitors that work well on my trailer and my wife's horse trailer.

After about a year my TPMS just broke, but it has worked well enough I plan to order another one from Northern Tool at $119.
    Well, I guess they are $129 now:

Accutire Wireless RF Digital Tire Pressure Monitoring System — For Trailer Towing and Vehicles, Model# MS-4368GB | Tire Equipment | Northern Tool + Equipment

Oli
    I saw that on Amazon for $90
    Amazon.com: Accutire MS-4378GB Remote Tire Pressure Monitor System for Auto and Trailer: Automotive

didn't buy it because of horrible review (2 stars average from 14 users)
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    660 times

On every stop I touch every hub.That may help discover a bearing or brake failure before the smoke.
    Great idea for the pressure valve caps,just ordered 4 Does 45 lbs sounds about right for ~4200 lbs trailer and car?

Liked
    2216 times

I saw that on Amazon for $90
    Amazon.com: Accutire MS-4378GB Remote Tire Pressure Monitor System for Auto and Trailer: Automotive

didn't buy it because of horrible review (2 stars average from 14 users)
    Mine have worked OK on a long bed crew cab to a 20' trailer and a Suburban to a three horse trailer. The refresh cycle is not real frequent, I forget the interval, but it does tell me when I have low pressure. No blow outs yet with this set-up, but hopefully it will keep me from driving for an hour...

Oli

PS. All the TPMS systems seem to get really bad reviews. They get lot of complaints that they don't work. I bought this one as some people did claim it worked OK. Remember, most people just write to complain and not praise... certainly people are not going to write about how *****in' their TPMS system is and how it lowered there lap times, etc. It is just back there and works for you someday to let you know there is a problem. Some people I think did have problems with 50' distances from rear axles to driver seat. Others I think probably just did not set it up and synch it right.
    Last edited by Olitho; 04-12-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Sir flink
    Liked
    553 times

hm, that's the model I tried. It just wasn't able to communicate that far. But much worse, it didn't tell me about it! It just sat there displaying 51 PSI when it hadn't heard from the sensors in hours. Three weeks later I'd power the thing up and it was STILL showing 51 PSI, even though all the sensors had their batteries removed. There's a teeny antenna icon which you can look at to see if it's still in communication with the sensor. Then one of the sensors failed (got wet) and I couldn't find a way to buy a replacement. I later used it to try to monitor tire pressures on the track (only three tires coz a sensor died). The comms worked OK at that range, but the video camera CCD and the unit's LCD display violently disagreed with each other and I couldn't read the numbers.

Liked
    2320 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    Great idea for the pressure valve caps,just ordered 4 Does 45 lbs sounds about right for ~4200 lbs trailer and car?
    not sure, I always just run max psi on trailer tire sidewall. is that bad ?
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast