+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Strange Trailer Tire Wear

  1. #1
    Señor Member b3d3g1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    980
    Liked
    448 times

    Default Strange Trailer Tire Wear

    Can anyone explain this tire wear to me?

    Inboard quarter of the tire is wearing much more than outboard.
    Passenger's side tires both look like this, but driver's side looks even.

    Weight distribution? More UV abuse? Road edge rumble marks? Bearing play? Trailer Brakes?


    tirefar.png
    tirecloseup.png
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter

  2. #2
    ETK
    ETK is offline
    Senior Member ETK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    251
    Liked
    125 times

    Default

    Hmmm. Is your trailer stanced? I have heard some of you norcal guys are into the hellaflush scene.
    Olitho, bawareca and b3d3g1 like this.
    2002 Porsche 911 Targa
    1967 GTV
    1991 Mazda SuperMiata - Junior
    2008 350z - Sold

    FastInFastOut.com

  3. #3
    Señor Member b3d3g1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    980
    Liked
    448 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ETK View Post
    Hmmm. Is your trailer stanced? I have heard some of you norcal guys are into the hellaflush scene.
    My trailer is relatively high compared to Alan's same model trailer.

    Maybe the arm on the axle should pivot and it doesn't?
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter

  4. #4
    Old timer craZee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    El Cajon
    Posts
    723
    Liked
    545 times

    Default

    How close to max GVW are you when loaded? I had a trailer that wore tires like this and it was due to negative camber as a result of too much weight. I am guilty of saying my car only weighs X,XXX but then I throw in tools, gas etc that double that number.

    We all got stopped by the commercial CHP one time on the way to the sand dunes and when put on the scales we were all at least 50% over rated capacity of our trailers.

  5. #5
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,228
    Liked
    2339 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post
    We all got stopped by the commercial CHP one time on the way to the sand dunes and when put on the scales we were all at least 50% over rated capacity of our trailers.
    Commercial CHP carries scales? That is aweome.

    Next time I am worried about my race car weight or corner balance on the way to the track I am going to stop one of those guys and say, "Hey, my car may not look like it, but I suspect it weighs 25,000 lbs. Can you help me verify that?"
    craZee, bawareca and Gian like this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  6. #6
    Señor Member b3d3g1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    980
    Liked
    448 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post
    How close to max GVW are you when loaded? I had a trailer that wore tires like this and it was due to negative camber as a result of too much weight. I am guilty of saying my car only weighs X,XXX but then I throw in tools, gas etc that double that number.
    GVW is a little uncertain due to the lack of trailer information. It does have two 3500lb axles so I assume 7000lb capacity.

    My current estimates are car (2100) + spares parts and tires (500) + trailer (3500) = 6100 lb
    I could easily have another 500 lbs of stuff in the trailer but it's hard to imagine I'm off by 1000. Maybe I'll stop by a scale on my next trip to the track if I can figure out how to do that.

    It's strange the tire wear is only on one side of the trailer and the side that most definitely has slightly less weight on it.
    Last edited by b3d3g1; 04-09-2018 at 11:43 AM.
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter

  7. #7
    Senior Member 48yota's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    364
    Liked
    121 times

    Default

    What is the age of the tires? What cold PSI are you running? What suspension does the trailer have? How much weight are you loading up?

  8. #8
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,622
    Liked
    2343 times

    Default

    Is this the front tire?

    I'm going to guess repeated tight turns.

  9. #9
    Señor Member b3d3g1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    980
    Liked
    448 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 48yota View Post
    What is the age of the tires? What cold PSI are you running? What suspension does the trailer have? How much weight are you loading up?
    4 years old, ~75psi cold, no suspension, I'm guessing about 1600 lbs / tire.

    Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Is this the front tire?

    I'm going to guess repeated tight turns.
    Both passenger side tires look like this, front and rear. Driver side tires still look good.
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    262
    Liked
    155 times

    Default

    Had a similar problem. It was a wheel bearing deflecting badly under load. If you havent done bearings on them, i know the OEM bearings from carson are garbage, you're well served to replace early.
    b3d3g1 likes this.

  11. #11
    Señor Member b3d3g1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    980
    Liked
    448 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle View Post
    Had a similar problem. It was a wheel bearing deflecting badly under load. If you havent done bearings on them, i know the OEM bearings from carson are garbage, you're well served to replace early.
    This makes some sense. I repacked half last weekend but maybe I'll replace bearings while repacking the 2nd half and redo the 1st half.
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter

  12. #12
    Senior Member 48yota's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    364
    Liked
    121 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by b3d3g1 View Post
    This makes some sense. I repacked half last weekend but maybe I'll replace bearings while repacking the 2nd half and redo the 1st half.
    Check bearings and replace seals every time you replace tires(5 yrs). Also, 75PSI cold seems a bit high.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    262
    Liked
    155 times

    Default

    also radial or bias ply tires?

    My wear improved noticeably when i went to radials. The OEM bias play are pretty seriously crowned and it can cause the bearing to load up with more camber than a radial does.

    I dont know why they even make bias ply tires for anything anymore.
    bellwilliam likes this.

  14. #14
    Señor Member b3d3g1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    980
    Liked
    448 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 48yota View Post
    Check bearings and replace seals every time you replace tires(5 yrs). Also, 75PSI cold seems a bit high.
    tire states max load at 80psi so I set to 75 assuming they will be close to 80 when warm.

    Quote Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle View Post
    also radial or bias ply tires?

    My wear improved noticeably when i went to radials. The OEM bias play are pretty seriously crowned and it can cause the bearing to load up with more camber than a radial does.

    I dont know why they even make bias ply tires for anything anymore.
    I have 10 ply radials 225/75R15

    I think I'll replace and repack all the bearings and then probably get new tires next month.
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter

  15. #15
    ETK
    ETK is offline
    Senior Member ETK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    251
    Liked
    125 times

    Default

    I think the OEM Carson brand is Tread Star. I had a blowout a while back on my carson open trailer, and when i tried to replace my spare I couldn't even find any place that would sell that brand. The only place I have seen Tread Star for sale is at Casa Della Tires, the Cars movie themed pretend tire shop.
    2002 Porsche 911 Targa
    1967 GTV
    1991 Mazda SuperMiata - Junior
    2008 350z - Sold

    FastInFastOut.com

  16. #16
    Senior Member fatbillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    by the beach
    Posts
    2,068
    Liked
    1705 times

    Default

    Nice negative camber so you can make wicked fast Left turns!


    Check your wheel bearings. I would not be surprised if when you jack that side the wheel has more play.
    robburgoon likes this.

  17. #17
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,299
    Liked
    755 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by b3d3g1 View Post
    tire states max load at 80psi so I set to 75 assuming they will be close to 80 when warm.



    I have 10 ply radials 225/75R15

    I think I'll replace and repack all the bearings and then probably get new tires next month.
    Does Maxxis give SPM drivers deals on trailer tires? If not I got a good deal on Maxxis trailer tires through America's Tires' eBay store. I think William had posted somewhere about the deal a year or so ago but they frequently have deals around various holidays.

    BTW, I run my E load range Maxxis trailer tires at around 80 psi cold. I could swear that's how they're supposed to be run but I can't remember where I got that info.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  18. #18
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,874
    Liked
    2513 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    Does Maxxis give SPM drivers deals on trailer tires? If not I got a good deal on Maxxis trailer tires through America's Tires' eBay store. I think William had posted somewhere about the deal a year or so ago but they frequently have deals around various holidays.

    BTW, I run my E load range Maxxis trailer tires at around 80 psi cold. I could swear that's how they're supposed to be run but I can't remember where I got that info.
    no deal on Maxxis trailer tires. Maxxis trailer tires are considered premium brands (and Goodyear is considered to be bottom of the barrel). Discount Tire Direct (through Ebay or not) often have deals, like $100 off $400. last time I bought like x10 of quality brand 10 ply for under $380. I am paranoid of getting a flat on my trailer, so I never let it get low on the tread before swapping them out.
    Red_5 likes this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

  19. #19
    ETK
    ETK is offline
    Senior Member ETK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    251
    Liked
    125 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    BTW, I run my E load range Maxxis trailer tires at around 80 psi cold. I could swear that's how they're supposed to be run but I can't remember where I got that info.
    Yes, I think this is correct. My understanding is trailer tires should be set at their Max PSI when they are cold. It is NOT safer to set them ~5 PSI under max -- apparently they can flex too much if they are under-inflated, and that can actually cause them to get too hot. Its confusing because regular car tires are almost never set to their Max PSI.
    Red_5 likes this.
    2002 Porsche 911 Targa
    1967 GTV
    1991 Mazda SuperMiata - Junior
    2008 350z - Sold

    FastInFastOut.com

  20. #20
    http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    588
    Liked
    396 times

    Default

    Don't overlook the fact that the issue may just be crappy tires. I had the first set of tires on my open trailer do something similar and the issue was the tires were delaminating internally.

    Mark
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

    Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts