+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Our new (used) trailer

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2504 times

Just ordered a wireless camera kit for the trailer. On the suggestion of Cord Bauer, I added an infrared camera inside the nose of the trailer looking back so I can monitor the contents.
    Main camera on tail of trailer, one side view on each side for parking. 4 there in the quad split screen. Plus the bed and tailgate cam on the OEM display. Hopefully I can back this thing into our lot at night into it's narrow slow without any assistance now.

RVS-4CAM | Wireless Backup Camera System | 7" Quad View Display with Built-in DVR | Rear View Safety

quad-view-wireless-backup-camera-system-rvs-4cam-main2_1.jpg
    quad-view-wireless-backup-camera-system-rvs-4cam-pt08.jpg
    bikeindirt, Red_5 and thepass like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    2504 times

Default I see you

WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    2305 times

I love the inside camera. While towing, there's always that nagging thought in the back of your mind, "I wonder if everything is still tied down back there?" Wonder no more.

Liked
    495 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    I love the inside camera. While towing, there's always that nagging thought in the back of your mind, "I wonder if everything is still tied down back there?" Wonder no more.
    A recent winning LeMons team, towed home and opened up their enclosed trailer to find that the car had caught on fire at some point during the trip home, and was a total loss. Had it not been for an all steel trailer they would have been pulling a Roman candle. Scary stuff!
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    2504 times

When you feel that big thump and wonder whether it was a lump in the road or one car landing on top of the other. Credit Cord Bauer for the idea.

I also added a solar powered (rechargeable), motion activated camera over each door. Both so we can find our way in at night and to perhaps deter thieves a little.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    724 times

I guess you can't make the system work with just your truck's screen? GM offers a similar system for their '14 and newer trucks with towing mirrors but it's $1,000 before installation. I would love to have a camera even if only on the back of my trailer to help back up and to see when if a bicycle fell off the rack.
    Last edited by Red_5; 08-23-2016 at 02:45 PM.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2504 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    Did you need to use the screen that came with the camera system too or are you only using the screen in your truck? GM offers a similar system for their '14 and newer trucks with towing mirrors but it's $1,000 before installation. I would love to have a camera even if only on the back of my trailer to help back up and to see when if a bicycle fell off the rack.
    It's proprietary. The display has the wireless receiver built in. What you need are wi-fi or bluetooth cameras. Those can be used with your phone or tablet via a camera mfr supplied app. To get the integrated display and easy to scroll through display options, you need to buy a kit. We have plenty of car projects around here to keep us busy so I didn't want John to waste a week researching, experimenting a problematic and buggy DIY solution to save me $500.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    2256 times

Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post
    A recent winning LeMons team, towed home and opened up their enclosed trailer to find that the car had caught on fire at some point during the trip home, and was a total loss. Had it not been for an all steel trailer they would have been pulling a Roman candle. Scary stuff!
    I wonder how the car catches fire while in the trailer...? Battery short maybe?

I have always thought and hoped my two gallon Halon system would suppress a fire in such a tight enclosed confine. It automatically discharges at 156 degrees.

Oli
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    495 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I wonder how the car catches fire while in the trailer...? Battery short maybe?

I have always thought and hoped my two gallon Halon system would suppress a fire in such a tight enclosed confine. It automatically discharges at 156 degrees.

Oli
    I heard battery fire. Here is a link

https://www.facebook.com/droppedpack...type=3&theater

Liked
    2305 times

This is going to seem harsh given their loss, but maybe they should have spent more time prepping the car and less time fabricating Star Wars-themed nonsense.

Liked
    495 times

This is going to seem harsh given their loss, but maybe they should have spent more time prepping the car and less time fabricating Star Wars-themed nonsense.
    To win a race, the car was obviously well prepared. Those who have never tried think winning a LeMons race is easy. Those of us who have made multiple unsuccessful attempts, know otherwise :-)

And now back to our regularly scheduled program about trailers......

Liked
    2504 times

Lemons is building a safe piece of **** that won't break then turning sandbagging into a science. It has much less to do with driving well or building a fast car.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    764 times

I remember the sinking feeling I had when Andrew and I pulled over for fuel on the way to T25 '11, opening the trailer, and seeing the tool chest laying on the hood of Crusher (or were we towing Enzo?). Good times.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    2305 times

Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post
    To win a race, the car was obviously well prepared. Those who have never tried think winning a LeMons race is easy. Those of us who have made multiple unsuccessful attempts, know otherwise :-)

And now back to our regularly scheduled program about trailers......
    I don't have any experience with LeMons, but I can't imagine winning is easy. I do think the amount of work that goes into "costuming" the cars would be better spent focusing on fastidious car prep.

Liked
    495 times

I don't have any experience with LeMons, but I can't imagine winning is easy. I do think the amount of work that goes into "costuming" the cars would be better spent focusing on fastidious car prep.
    Then they would be competing with NASCAR LOL
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    2414 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Lemons is building a safe piece of **** that won't break then turning sandbagging into a science. It has much less to do with driving well or building a fast car.
    type, I think you meant LeMans is turning sandbagging into a science........

if I were to start a LeMan team, I will spend 99% of my time learning how to sandbag, building a fast car is secondary.....
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    2504 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    type, I think you meant LeMans is turning sandbagging into a science........

if I were to start a LeMan team, I will spend 99% of my time learning how to sandbag, building a fast car is secondary.....
    You're right. Thanks for correcting me.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    1583 times

Battery cutoff switches are mandatory even if not required by the organization you run. It is possible especially in C5/6 corvette to have a tech passing electrical cutoff switch that still 100% powers the starter! Electrical cutoff means "all" electrical. Sometimes it is difficult to see if "all" is really cut off. Second issue is light weight lithium ion batteries. Don't use them. Even in 2016 they have issues with "thermal runaway" The physics of that have not quite been solved. Its better but not solved. Stick to lead acid batteries and if you must go light use a PWC, motorcycle or tractor lead acid battery which will save you money and no more likely to burn your car down than standard car batteries.
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    724 times

Holy thread drift!
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2414 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    Holy thread drift!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Stick to lead acid batteries .
    I think you meant AGM batteries (yes, AGM is also a type of lead acid battery) ? I believe once I went through NASA tech, and they said something about AGM only (for lead acid type), I could be wrong, this was 5 years ago, and I vaguely remember why. may be it was T25 only.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast