+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Ford Claims 30mpg for F150 Diesel

Liked
    765 times

Default Ford Claims 30mpg for F150 Diesel

Pretty impressive it can be rated to tow over 11k pounds and still return 30mpg highway. I wonder how the GM versions will do? I wonder if this engine will be available in the Expedition?

2018 Ford F-150 Power Stroke Diesel Gets 30 MPG Highway
    Johns_EvoIXSE likes this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    Pretty impressive it can be rated to tow over 11k pounds and still return 30mpg highway. I wonder how the GM versions will do? I wonder if this engine will be available in the Expedition?

2018 Ford F-150 Power Stroke Diesel Gets 30 MPG Highway
    If they make a diesel expedition xl I might buy one. I really miss the excursion diesel. I would love a cummins excursion.
    anorexicpoodle likes this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    401 times

One of the best trucks I ever owned was a diesel excursion. Great all purpose vehicle. I would be very tempted if they brought this back with the 6.7 motor.

Mark
    OJR and anorexicpoodle like this.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    91 times

My '14 Ram 3.0 EcoDiesel is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. 65K miles on it now and never a single issue. Approximately half or more of those miles are towing either the 20' enclosed or the open car trailer - typically between SoCal and Pahrump (Spring Mountain). More recently, it is our NASA race weekend go-to vehicle.

Like probably most of us here, seldom is it driven slow (even while towing), but at legal speeds the fuel mileage defies logic. Recently I was headed to Vegas (not towing) and a friend who was towing was following me and he requested 65mph. First picture is fuel mileage between Barstow and Baker while second pic is total mileage from Barstow to Pahrump (which includes a pretty good grade).

I often tell people that I purchased the truck for the diesel engine - but I keep it for the engine, seamless 8-speed transmission, and the 4-corner air suspension. Pretty easy to hitch up with this thing. Lower the suspension, use rear camera to back under the trailer hitch, and then raise the suspension. Piece of cake.

img_5449.jpg

img_5450.jpg

Liked
    672 times

Quote Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
    My '14 Ram 3.0 EcoDiesel is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned.
    What kind of mileage do you see when towing the enclosed? Does it struggle at all with the wind resistance?
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Liked
    2357 times

That's impressive mileage for the Dodge, because we know it's real world. Staggering, really.

Liked
    765 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    That's impressive mileage for the Dodge, because we know it's real world. Staggering, really.
    Diesels have historically outperformed the EPA ratings which are geared toward gas cars. Gas powered vehicles, especially turbo charged, rarely match the EPA ratings in the real world.

Liked
    158 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    If they make a diesel expedition xl I might buy one. I really miss the excursion diesel. I would love a cummins excursion.
    I have a 7.3 diesel excursion and often lamented the fact that i cannot buy a full size diesel SUV anymore for any price.

If they made another, i would buy it.

I would strongly consider this motor in the expedition if it pulled anywhere as good as my existing excursion, its a slam dunk.

FWIW with a big turbo and tune the 7.3 still manages to get mid-20s mpg while towing (open trailer but with crud welded to it).

Liked
    91 times

What kind of mileage do you see when towing the enclosed? Does it struggle at all with the wind resistance?
    Towing the enclosed at 65mph or so and I'll typically get 16-17mpg. Towing the open at those speeds, I'll get 19-20 mpg.

No, it does not struggle with wind resistance. Our typically cruise speed with either trailer is ~75mph and mileage will drop to 14-15mpg with the enclosed.

As mentioned previously, our most common route is SoCal to Pahrump, NV which includes skirting Death Valley a bit. In the summer it is not unusual to see ambient temps at 115F or more. The Ecodiesel will really crank up oil and water temps if asked to run above 3K rpm's (which is high for a deisel, anyway). My point is that for long grades (like Baker Grade, for example), the EcoDiesel may want to do a length of that at 55mph or so to keep temps in check. Other than that, a constant 75-80mph cruise is without drama.

Liked
    89 times

The urge for a car payment is real right now...
    SteveLevin, robburgoon and Red_5 like this.
    SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
    T Other than that, a constant 75-80mph cruise is without drama.
    How does it do towing up the grapevine?

Liked
    91 times

How does it do towing up the grapevine?
    No problem. Minimum speed would be 60-65mph and even then only for a short while. I think for owners that just want to mash it, it'll go faster but my self-imposed max rpm with the enclosed is 3K rpm.

420 ft-lbs of Torque is a wonderful thing.

Liked
    609 times

As much as I love the diesel...the green nerd in me struggles with knowing it's just not as clean burning on particulates. And those memories of the mid 1980s smog kick in...

so I remain conflicted. Like "should I get the reasonable 60" TV for the new house or go for it and get the 85" chest hair special?"

Steve
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    1495 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    As much as I love the diesel...the green nerd in me struggles with knowing it's just not as clean burning on particulates. And those memories of the mid 1980s smog kick in...

so I remain conflicted. Like "should I get the reasonable 60" TV for the new house or go for it and get the 85" chest hair special?"

Steve

60". Bigger screens aren't gonna improve the plot.
    Last edited by robburgoon; 05-04-2018 at 06:10 PM.

Liked
    91 times

As much as I love the diesel...the green nerd in me struggles with knowing it's just not as clean burning on particulates.
    News flash: Tree bark accelerates chest hair growth! Film at 11. If the green gene really starts keeping you up at night we can help explore ways to fit a cat on the ol' race car

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    As much as I love the diesel...the green nerd in me struggles with knowing it's just not as clean burning on particulates.

Steve
    My old 2012 Ram is an ultra low emission vehicle. Those particulate filters are amazing the back of my truck is just as clean as my wife's bmw. I also don't believe in global warming. I can cite articles that can make you question "green" conviction. I still like plastic bags from the grocery store.

Liked
    609 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    60". Bigger screens aren't gonna improve the plot.
    There's a plot?

steve
    Blackbird likes this.

Liked
    91 times

There's a plot?
    Oh, those kinds of movies. Go for the bigger screen. LOL

Liked
    609 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    My old 2012 Ram is an ultra low emission vehicle. Those particulate filters are amazing the back of my truck is just as clean as my wife's bmw. I also don't believe in global warming. I can cite articles that can make you question "green" conviction. I still like plastic bags from the grocery store.
    Whether or not you buy into man and the evil he does being the majority of warming, one thing that's definitely true is that the air quality is vastly improved. We used to joke that pilots taking off from LAX could get confused, because on takeoff, the ground/ocean was blue and the SKY was brown, unlike what their ADI displayed.

And on a more serious note, starting in '83 I worked summers at LAUSD school playgrounds (at least back then, we had a 5 hour a day program with sports, arts and crafts, etc.) On many bad days we'd be told to just do arts and crafts and not do any handball, basketball, etc., because of smog alerts.

Flying a light plane, it was always amazing how you'd burst out into clear blue skies about 400-500' above the Valley floor...

Anyway...it's not the warming I worry about. The Ice Age came and went without a single Corvette in sight. It's the air quality, which is driven straight from particulates, and I just don't trust diesels.

Okay, maybe I trust them, and I like them, but at the same time, I feel slightly guilty.

Then again, I'm a dead man walking..so screw all of you :P

Steve
    Olitho, Johns_EvoIXSE and Integral like this.

Liked
    765 times

With the fire at a parts supplier, it looks like there won't be any good deals on F150s in near future. Ford halted production of the F150 on Wednesday.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...eks/596462002/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast