+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By pucsicsal
  • 1 Post By hakeem

Thread: Oil on brake pads. Any way to clean em??

Liked
    53 times

Default Oil on brake pads. Any way to clean em??

My oil cooler blew a fitting and sprayed synthetic on one of my front Carbotech pads. I'm too poor to buy new $180 pads right now and these still have some meat on them. I read that you can burn off the oil and restore function. Any validity to that?

Liked
    91 times

brake cleaner......

Liked
    95 times

Just oil the other side for even braking.
    bellwilliam and Loose Caboose like this.

Liked
    1230 times

Quote Originally Posted by cosmin View Post
    My oil cooler blew a fitting and sprayed synthetic on one of my front Carbotech pads. I'm too poor to buy new $180 pads right now and these still have some meat on them. I read that you can burn off the oil and restore function. Any validity to that?
    I never tried it on my car, but on my motorcycle when the get contaminated from blown fork seals, etc. I can ride the bike around dragging the heck out of the brakes and just burn the stuff off. I don't think I would do this next technique with the heavier mass of car brakes, but another technique on the bikes is to get them smoking, near redhot on the calipers and then abruptly flush them with water. Near 100% of the braking returns, but new pads are better.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Sir flink
    Liked
    389 times

I read that you can burn off the oil and restore function. Any validity to that?
    Of course - the oil will cook off quickly.

If it doesn't, we should make engines of that stuff so they don't need oil pumps

Liked
    63 times

belt sander?
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    1036 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I never tried it on my car, but on my motorcycle when the get contaminated from blown fork seals, etc. I can ride the bike around dragging the heck out of the brakes and just burn the stuff off. I don't think I would do this next technique with the heavier mass of car brakes, but another technique on the bikes is to get them smoking, near redhot on the calipers and then abruptly flush them with water. Near 100% of the braking returns, but new pads are better.
    On a car, wouldn't that lead to warped rotors?

Liked
    1036 times

Seems to me a method mixing all of the above methods would work: lightly sand the friction surface while shooting it with brake cleaner, then burn of what's left of the oil with some heavy braking.

Liked
    53 times

Thanks guys!

I'm scared to quench hot pads with water since they're right next to the rotors haha. I think on a bike with floating rotors it might be feasible to do without cracking the rotors but I'm not so sure on a car.

I don't think sanding will get it off. I did 2 track days with these ****ty brakes and they're still ****ty.

I think I'll try sanding down the rotor a bit, then soaking the pads in Hexane and/or Acetone overnight. Hopefully some hard braking after that will restore them to 80%. I'm not looking for a perfect recovery, but something that's not as impossible to drive.

Liked
    53 times

Oh yeah, a few guys on bike forums say they can either heat their pads up in a frying pan for 10 minutes until they stop smoking or blast them with a torch. I haven't seen anybody in the car community try any of these methods.

Possibly because of different pad compound?? Metallic vs ceramic/carbon/kevlar?

Possibly because bike brakes don't get up to really high temps?? I'd think we hit hot enough temps on track to accomplish the same thing.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    268 times

Oh yeah, a few guys on bike forums say they can either heat their pads up in a frying pan for 10 minutes until they stop smoking or blast them with a torch. I haven't seen anybody in the car community try any of these methods.

Possibly because of different pad compound?? Metallic vs ceramic/carbon/kevlar?

Possibly because bike brakes don't get up to really high temps?? I'd think we hit hot enough temps on track to accomplish the same thing.
    If you are going to burn it off at the track, remind me not to be behind you at BW later this month...

Remind me not to be in front of you either.
    Seth M. Crawford
    2001 MR2 Spyder, 0 whp paperweight
    Experience Points: 21

2:02.4 ACS (RS3)
    2:16.7 Buttonwillow #1 CW
    2:02.1 Buttonwillow #13 CW
    2:04.5 CVR CW
    1:45.7 Laguna Seca
    1:25.9 SOW CW
    1:36.6 WSIR

Youtube Channel.

Liked
    803 times

I misread the title of this thread as "Oli on brake pads" which led to all sorts of strange mental imagery.
    DutchOven likes this.

Liked
    63 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    If you are going to burn it off at the track, remind me not to be behind you at BW later this month...

Remind me not to be in front of you either.
    I'll remember to bring my box of spare used pads. My guess is those pads never come back.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    1230 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    ...title of this thread as "Oli on brake pads"....
    I have become a pundit on stopping fast. Look for my blog column every week.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    560 times

Save the oiled pads for WSIR since you don't need much brake there.

+ Reply to Thread