+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eyeballs

Thread: Hawk Street Race pads - anyone try them yet?

Liked
    21 times

Default Hawk Street Race pads - anyone try them yet?

Was browsing brake pad options and came across these:

High Performance Street Race | Hawk Performance

I may try them out soon. I've been using stoptech street pads (5 track days, a few thousand street miles and still going strong!) but as my laps times are improving I feel it might be time to move on before I start running into fade issues. Considering these vs HP+ vs ferrodo ds2500. I went through a couple sets of ferrodos on a wrx and liked them. I'm also hoping that new = better, as both the DS2500 and HP+ have been around for quite some time now.
    '99 miata

Liked
    56 times

I'm surprised you aren't fading your street pads after 5 track days. On my FR-S, the HPS were only marginally better than OEM, and would fade significantly after a couple hot laps around Buttonwillow. But then again Miatas are pretty light..

I don't know about these Hawk Street Race pads. It sounds like a hybrid compound, since they mention dust. Hybrids are fine but if you don't track too often, the dust and the constant care needed to keep them bedded in can be a PITA.

Less than one track day per month? Might be best to have two sets of pads, street and track, and swap between them as needed.

Liked
    21 times

The car is not driven on the street a whole lot (windy, low traffic roads with no stoplights 1-2x/wk), and my wheels are black so I'm not terribly concerned about noise or dust. I was surprised about not fading them as well, but after riding with a couple other guys turning faster times on street pads (with no fading complaints) I stuck with them. I only do 3-4 track days/year, though each day it's being driven in 2 run groups (my wife and I both drive) so it takes a beating.
    '99 miata

Liked
    470 times

+1 on the 2 set of pads. Or you'll eat rotors.
    I'm using the HP+ on the front of my Mustang with stock brakes with no cooling ducts. Only used them once at ACS and was impressed that they didn't fade as bad as I thought they would. Going full out for two laps. Then letting them cool for 1 lap and back at it for 2. On the street they work great. I do PCH, Mulhuland to 101 run a couple times a month. There is some dust after a week of street driving. But not really bad.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    578 times

I really like the DS2500. I'm not sure how the Street/Race pad compares to a HP+ but the 2500 is a lot better than a HP+.

Report your findings!

Liked
    21 times

So I ended up getting these, and found out they are basically a DTC30 with a backing plate and chamfered edges.

Wife and I tag teamed the car yesterday at Atl Motorsports Park. At one point in the afternoon (other than ~5min drivers changes) the car was on track for close to 1.5 hours straight. Never got a hint of brake fade. Firm pedal feel, excellent bite, good modulation. 2 or 3 trips on public roads before the track day and no noise was heard from the brakes. On the way home from the track day there was some noise which I attribute to massive brake dust. Even with street use these do dust alot, though they do bite nicely at low temps.

All in all, I think the pads work very well for their intended application.
    F@ck likes this.
    '99 miata

Liked
    717 times

How wheel friendly is the brake dust? Will the wheels get ruined if the wheels get wet with the dust on them?
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    21 times

Oh hell I hope not! First thing I did when I got back home from the track was give all the wheels/brakes a good rinse. I guess I'll find your answer soon.
    '99 miata

Liked
    599 times

Nothing beats the good ol' scientific method.
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

"Shoe"
    Liked
    578 times

Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    So I ended up getting these, and found out they are basically a DTC30 with a backing plate and chamfered edges.

Wife and I tag teamed the car yesterday at Atl Motorsports Park. At one point in the afternoon (other than ~5min drivers changes) the car was on track for close to 1.5 hours straight. Never got a hint of brake fade. Firm pedal feel, excellent bite, good modulation. 2 or 3 trips on public roads before the track day and no noise was heard from the brakes. On the way home from the track day there was some noise which I attribute to massive brake dust. Even with street use these do dust alot, though they do bite nicely at low temps.

All in all, I think the pads work very well for their intended application.
    Interesting. How was teh cold bite on the street?

I still like Porterfield R4S pads:

Liked
    21 times

Cold bite is good. Even better than the street pads they replaced (stoptech). As testament, on only my 2nd brake application while bedding them in I accidentally locked 'em up.
    '99 miata

Liked
    21 times

Update on these, since I washed my car for the 1st time since they were installed. No damage to the wheel paint at all. I use the armor all wheel protectant spray which may have helped some. My wheels are now temporarily gloss black again.
    '99 miata

Liked
    21 times

Final update: After my last track day (road atlanta on 7/31) the front pads are about done. I did a last minute rotor swap beforehand since the rotors were all scored significantly. I'm going to order DS2500 now. In summary, the street/race pads have great track performance and work well on the street, but the kicker is they wear down quick and aren't rotor friendly. I used them for ~11 track hours and about 5 hours street driving.
    '99 miata

+ Reply to Thread