+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rotating tires?

Liked
    6 times

Default Rotating tires?

How often do you guys rotate your tires on a track only car?
    I have done 3 track days and I am not rotating for the first time. But I am not sure that is the correct thing to do.. my experience in from rotating tires on a street car every 3000 miles or so.

Liked
    47 times

Every track day, but being a front wheel drive, the outside front works pretty hard. On a more balanced car eg Miata, you would probably get away with less frequent rotation.

Liked
    6 times

what car do you drive?
    BTW, thank for your input.

Liked
    1495 times

Depends on the track and how your car consumes tires. If you have a RWD car, you can probably move lefts to right and rights to left and have that work. Alternatively, just leave the tires where they are if you do a clockwise day followed by a counterclockwise day.

Making an X is fine too.

Often with used tires I'll pull all the tires, rank them, then put them where I want them.

Liked
    6 times

So my car is an AWD Subaru. Interestingly enough it wore the front tires 1/16" than the rears. Makes sense since I am turning (right?)
    I only measured the "inside" tires of the car on a track that mostly has right turns mostly. I am wondering what the outside tires will show, they should be a little more worn, considering the front outside (drivers) is usually deg PSI higher than the inside tire after the sessions.
    My tires are Asymetric, so I am wondering if I can not only rotate them from to back, but also left to right? - would that make sense?

Liked
    1495 times

Quote Originally Posted by FoxSTI View Post
    So my car is an AWD Subaru. Interestingly enough it wore the front tires 1/16" than the rears. Makes sense since I am turning (right?)
    I only measured the "inside" tires of the car on a track that mostly has right turns mostly. I am wondering what the outside tires will show, they should be a little more worn, considering the front outside (drivers) is usually deg PSI higher than the inside tire after the sessions.
    My tires are Asymetric, so I am wondering if I can not only rotate them from to back, but also left to right? - would that make sense?
    Tires that have more tread void on the inside, probably don't want to have the tire shop flip them. But directional tires can usually be run backward without problems unless it's raining. Then you may be sorry, haha.

Liked
    6 times

"Tires that have more tread on the inside" can you explain why? I thought it would be the other way around..

Liked
    1495 times

Tread void, asymmetrics have their rain channels on the inside and a slickish outside

Liked
    6 times

why do you want more thread void in the inside tires?
    doesn't the outside tire carry a bigger load when cornering and thus should need more material to war (more thread void)

Liked
    1495 times

And I'm out.

Liked
    2531 times

He isnít native English speaker, so misunderstanding there
    Tread void = less rubber = better in rain
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    2531 times

To answer your question.

With street car, you can follow a set rule by say rotate front to rear or diagonally every 3000-5000 miles.

But with track tires. It is heavily dependent on track. And tire life is short. So there is no fixed interval.
    My GT350R wore out its front outside tire at wsir in 2 sessions (Yeap). My old 96whp Miata on street tire can not wear out tires even without tire rotation.
    What Rob said. Just look at the tires and rotate accordingly. There is no set interval.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

+ Reply to Thread