+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 13 19 25 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: TrackHQ.com VS Magazine Pros Challenge

Liked
    0 times

Exclamation TrackHQ.com VS Magazine Pros Challenge

The gauntlet has been laid, TrackHQ.com is challenging the magazine's driving professionals to a duel.

The Challenge:

TrackHQ.com will select 10 drivers to represent the site. Auto Eclectic Magazine will bring 5 of their test drivers. Challenge will be filmed for 2 online episodes. Also a feature article will be written about the entire challenge.

Location: Chuckwalla Valley Raceway's 2.68 mile Road Race Course
    Desert Center, CA Chuckwalla Valley Raceway

Possible Dates: Sept 24 or 27 or Oct 18th (Sept 25-26 is a Star open track weekend, so is Oct 16-17th) STAR Car Sports 2010 Events By Date

Round 1:

Each driver will get a maximum of 5 laps to set a fast time. The top 10 times will continue on to round 2. (Currently Mitsubishi has committed an Evo X, other options- MX-5, Genesis Coupe, 370z)

Round 2:

Top ten drivers from round 2 will compete in another 5 lap session. Current car looks to be a Z06. Top driver will be offered the opportunity to be a test driver for the Auto Eclectic in the future.

All drivers for TrackHQ.com will be required to pay a $75 insurance/gate fee. All spectators are required to pay a $10 gate fee. The event is set around Star Open Track days so other members can come and drive. Also the TrackHQ competitor will be allowed to test on these days to get familiar with the track.

I know in the other post the list below was made and the magazine is fine with these drivers unless TrackHQ wants to select others. They said a max of 12 on the roster just in case.

Team trackHQ.com
    Aj Latteri
    Billy Johnson
    Charles Ng
    Clint Boisdeau
    Emilio Cervantes
    Jeff Tyler
    Manly Kao
    Matt Andrews
    Oli Thordarson
    Rob Burgoon
    Ryan Cashin
    William Chen

next 3 on waitlist. You guys below will get in in the follow order if/when a spot becomes available.
    1.Sonny W
    2.Richard Seegman
    3.Mike Bonanni

The list from the other thread:
    http://www.trackhq.com/forums/f303/a...ine-pros-3396/

Liked
    1483 times

Billy, there's still room for you to sign up.

I don't plan to compete because I just like to stir up trouble on the internet instead. I might come out to watch.

It will still be too hot in late September at Chuckwalla. Even October might be too hot, but it's better than Sept. I think November - April are the best months there. Also, the Oct. dates in your post don't make sense; you say Oct. 16 &17 is an open track weekend, and then propose Oct. 18 as the date.

One thing that occurs to me is that the Magazine Pros will have more experience jumping from one car to another than the trackHQ drivers (with a few exceptions such as Charles, Jeff and Emilio). But that's just part of the competition, I guess.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1441 times

Default cool!

An Evo? Interesting!

So if I understand it,

10-12 trackHQ drivers
    5 magazine driver

round 1 in an Evo eliminates about a third of the drivers.

round 2 in a corvette Z06 (C5?C6? C2?) finds us a winner.

Now it has to be asked, what happens if the Evo or Z06 rolls and burns to the ground?

Liked
    58 times

what's the prize? cookie?

signed,
    street tracked an evo and a z06... and higher on the top 10 lists than all those shmoes.
    Last edited by ryan; 08-20-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Liked
    103 times

so the trackhq driver that get picked dont have to bring out there cars right? gunna be driving stock cars

i hope i can be in the THQ ten

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Chris@Xtremespeed's Avatar
    Liked
    48 times

Oh, I want to be a Track HQ driver. Can I?
    I'm pretty fast n' Jeff Taylor said I was anyway.
    Can I sign up???

Liked
    103 times

how are we going to decide who the THQ ten will be?

Liked
    1441 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    postcount

Liked
    103 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    postcount
    then im screwed

Liked
    1441 times

then im screwed
    Since he's the owner, I'd imagine it would be Manly's decision, whether he wants it to be votes, discussion, el dedazo, whatever.

Anything but the leaderboard for BW13CW, I'm begging you!

Liked
    724 times

I'll be happy to show off my skills as a cameraman. Who do I need to talk to to be one of the hired cameramen?

Eric

Liked
    6 times

The event is held at the earliest September 24th, yes? So, for all the THQ hopefuls, have a showdown!

Every contender pitches in $xx on a rental car (opt for the insurance), and the group ensures the car is set up the same for each driver (same tire pressure, windows in the rear up, spare tire in car, full tank of gas, etc.). Draw straws to see who goes first (cool of morning) and such, and bang! Fastest times determine your winner. Hold the qualifying round at the 9/17 XtremeSpeed event or similar, and there you go.

BTW, the rental should be rear drive and please... someone bring brake pads for the thing!!

Man, even if you don't do that for the magazine challenge, we should do a rental car challenge anyway.

Liked
    5 times

I like it... the heat is on....
    -MattDennison
    Road///RaceEngineering - FederalTires - ROBISPEC /// - OdysseyBatteries - ACT - SPY+optics

Liked
    103 times

Quote Originally Posted by desertosprey View Post
    The event is held at the earliest September 24th, yes? So, for all the THQ hopefuls, have a showdown!

Every contender pitches in $xx on a rental car (opt for the insurance), and the group ensures the car is set up the same for each driver (same tire pressure, windows in the rear up, spare tire in car, full tank of gas, etc.). Draw straws to see who goes first (cool of morning) and such, and bang! Fastest times determine your winner. Hold the qualifying round at the 9/17 XtremeSpeed event or similar, and there you go.

BTW, the rental should be rear drive and please... someone bring brake pads for the thing!!

Man, even if you don't do that for the magazine challenge, we should do a rental car challenge anyway.
    im down

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@XtremeSpeed View Post
    Oh, I want to be a Track HQ driver. Can I?
    I'm pretty fast n' Jeff Taylor said I was anyway.
    Can I sign up???
    Tyler

Manly, I'd be happy to represent your site if you'd like me to

Liked
    1441 times

Don't like that plan. I'm racing in Utah then. Who is the poor bastard that puts the car on his card?

LongWinded National Champ Bueller's Avatar
    Liked
    168 times

Where did this thread come from? Anyway, this will be fun. But you guys need to rent an Evo otherwise i will be the slowest guy out there.
    Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Liked
    2414 times

my prediction is Trackhq'ers will own those "pro"
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

LongWinded National Champ Bueller's Avatar
    Liked
    168 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Don't like that plan. I'm racing in Utah then. Who is the poor bastard that puts the car on his card?
    I like that idea as long as its not on my card.
    Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Liked
    1441 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    my prediction is Trackhq'ers will own those "pro"
    I just hope we pack the list with enough great versatile drivers to ensure that happens, even if a few have a bad session.

If I was building the dream team, here's what I would do:

Since we have two resident trackHQ pros, I'd suggest we give Billy and Charles priority spots if they want them and can make it. Manly absolutely should be on the list for sure as well.

Emilio drives lots of cars very well so he should get a spot.

Also would be good to drop in a seriously quick non-Charles S2K challenge driver. I'd probably ask S2K Ed for a recommendation.

What is that, five?

It would be interesting to toss in someone from Corvette Challenge and Miata Challenge, but Gordon and Andrew don't post here much and I am not sure if there is anyone really fast in CC.

Bueller might be a fun pick since he races an evo, but hard to tell how fast he really is since he races against dissimilar cars.

Would also be fun to get either Ryan or Oli since they only race against other T1 cars these days.

Hmm. As for filling the last 5 of my spots, I guess a challenge for trackHQ regulars with a V6 rental mustang or a rented car from another trackHQ guy would be best. (just not scheduled during nasa championships ) Maybe after driving the live axle mustang we can all go tell Billy that he's crazy
    Last edited by robburgoon; 08-20-2010 at 05:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 13 19 25 ... LastLast