Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By fatbillybob
  • 1 Post By fatbillybob
  • 1 Post By MikeColangelo

Thread: safety wire

Liked
    1486 times

Default safety wire

PSA: For those who do not safety wire your oil filters and drain plugs please consider doing so. Safety wire is not only to save your car but those of who you might "oil" behind you.

Look at the pictures and be creative. There is always a way and you don't need any special tools other than a small hand twist drill, some wire from home deport, and a hose clamp. Be kind to your fellow drivers.

safetywire1.jpgopxfidisa2.jpg
    bellwilliam and MikeColangelo like this.

Liked
    136 times

Yes, that is what I do also... but, I use safety wire pliers....and I didn't know you could get safety wire from Home Depot.

Charley

Liked
    1486 times

they don't have safety wire in the nice round dispenser like from pegasus racing but my intention is to encourage people to safety wire. HD has small gauge wire that will work fine as safety wire and get the job done for a sub $10 investment. If people are so inclined to buy nice safety wiring pliers and the multiple sizes of the right stuff I'm all for that too!
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    136 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    they don't have safety wire in the nice round dispenser like from pegasus racing but my intention is to encourage people to safety wire. HD has small gauge wire that will work fine as safety wire and get the job done for a sub $10 investment. If people are so inclined to buy nice safety wiring pliers and the multiple sizes of the right stuff I'm all for that too!
    I agree with you any wire is better than none and safety wire pliers really are not required. I learned to do safety wiring 30 years ago while in school to get my FAA Airframe and Powerplant license ( to maintain aircraft) and we were not allowed to use the SW pliers because they wanted to make sure we could do it by hand. I only got my first pair of SW pliers a few years ago. But buying a can of safety wire is a good investment. A can of .032 wire can be used for just about everything and will last most people a lifetime.

Charley

Liked
    2165 times

You can also buy cheap, but effective set-ups at Harbor Freight.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    237 times

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyH View Post
    I agree with you any wire is better than none and safety wire pliers really are not required. I learned to do safety wiring 30 years ago while in school to get my FAA Airframe and Powerplant license ( to maintain aircraft) and we were not allowed to use the SW pliers because they wanted to make sure we could do it by hand. I only got my first pair of SW pliers a few years ago. But buying a can of safety wire is a good investment. A can of .032 wire can be used for just about everything and will last most people a lifetime.

Charley
    Back when I was in US Army helicopter mechanic school, we were forbidden from using SW pliers. We only safety-wired by hand. The thinking was that it's too easy to over tighten the safety wire when using pliers and by using your hands, you get a better feel for the proper tension. This carried on to the Army aviation maintenance companies where only safety wiring by hand was allowed.
    CharleyH likes this.

Liked
    58 times

Today we still use standard wire, Using a combination of wire pliers and by hand. But this is the "go to tool" if you want it to look good or is in a tight spot; Safe-T-Cable. Like all things aviation, you don't want to have to pay for it yourself!

+ Reply to Thread