+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: how fast could a stock STI run?

Liked
    1423 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    But the truck-trailer thing requires a significant 'belly up to the bar' that garages, driveways, and wives, may not have room for.
    There are ways. You can have a car that's nearly dedicated to the track. Rollbar, harnesses, seats, etc.

Liked
    14 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    There are ways. You can have a car that's nearly dedicated to the track. Rollbar, harnesses, seats, etc.
    I agree. Even for stock cars, safety gears or seats are necessary.
    All of my cars use buckets seats, harness bar...At least bucket seats could give driver more feel of a car.I saw a discussion about E46 M3 accident at buttonwillow talking about safety gears and I learnt a lot from there.
    Last edited by jqsti2015; 03-16-2017 at 06:24 AM.

Liked
    14 times

I don't trust subaru engine(both my FRS and STI)on track at all so I want to keep my warranty and never push hot laps constantly. Stock engine is relatively safer and has warranty to cover but it's still not a Honda B18C.
    I find out it's interesting that EJ(STI engine) hardly failed at any racing event including some old WRC days and NBR24, SuperGT in past 15 years. I know it definitely has much stronger short block(also much bigger whp) but it seems to be reliable with high standard of maintenance. Modified engine with high power, bad tune or lack of proper maintenance including overheating should be the reason why EJ blows up a lot on road cars. Especially temperature of SoCal track on summer could easily rise up to 100F. I don't think subaru engine could take that even with modified oil cooler and radiator. I just leave it full stock and stop tracking SoCal tracks during hot summer.(3 months?)

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2267 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    I know Miata, I can tell you that $5k turbo Miata are super reliable at 2:10s. you start to go sub 2:05s, then it gets a little less reliable. as you hit sub 2s, it falls apart. as you hit sub 1:55s, they catch on fire while sitting in pit.
    lol. So true
    Olitho and jqsti2015 like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2