• 4 Post By bellwilliam
  • 1 Post By Pure EvoIX
  • 1 Post By SteveLevin

Thread: Fixing F1

Liked
    1324 times

Default Fixing F1

Lewis Hamilton calls on F1 to change to crack America | F1 News

<<"It does need to change," Hamilton said in Thursday's press conference ahead of this weekend's United States GP. "For example with the DRS [drag reduction system] it doesn't feel organic, it doesn't feel like natural racing.
    "I want to see wheel-to-wheel racing, it needs to be like karting was. Karting is racing wheel-to-wheel and overtaking and we need to make F1 like that. I don't know how they will do it, but it needs to be a lot different to how it was in the last 20 years.">>

So I'm just a lowly clubracer. Isn't the answer to kart-like racing just to get rid of all the aero?
    JJ1, passmenow and Gian like this.

Liked
    2157 times

No aero would slow the cars down, so let's not do that. DRS isn't the problem. It was supposed to solve the problem of all the dirty air behind fixed-aero cars and give the guy within 1 second of the car ahead the opportunity to pass.

Bringing back the V8s would be a good start. No one wants to watch racers concerned with fuel consumption.

Liked
    592 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    No one wants to watch racers concerned with fuel consumption.

As someone on another forum said: "Not many people are interested in watching prius racing"
    SteveLevin likes this.

4 doors 2 seats
    Liked
    149 times

No one wants to watch racers concerned with fuel consumption.
    I agree with this V8's or not, just bring back refueling. The strategy and drama it creates in the pits and on track is great. I also think restricting budget and development is silly at this level. I want Qualifying engines/chassis and teams spending scrooge mcduck money each weekend to go faster than the garage next door. The fact a team can be pigeon held all season because of chassis performance disparity is boring. If a team wants to build and homologate a whole new chassis or engine mid season let them.
    Last edited by Mr. T; 10-23-2015 at 08:49 AM.

Liked
    142 times

I want to see 20000 rpm engines (V10), loud exhaust, and get rid of Burnie.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2184 times

No aero would slow the cars down,..
    Less aero, more mechanical grip = closer racing. I love wacky F1 aero but it's not relevant to anything, just nerding out on. I'd like to see bigger, softer compound tires.

Think of all the areas that are relevant to production cars that have been off limit to F1. Just a few years ago, F1 was limited to 14.0:1 compression. The 1.5L Mazda 2 sold worldwide has 14.0:1 compression.
    Variable valve timing and lift was also banned in F1. This is silly. Virtually every production engine now has continuously variable valve timing. Variable lift is less common but also key in combustion efficiency and specific output.

Hybrids are merely a stepping stone to full electric in production cars. In 10 years hybrids will be an anachronism. Hybrids in F1 are a knee jerk reaction. Who cares? Hybrids have made F1 racing duller, the cars less reliable and costlier. Massive fail.

Formula E holds promise and is highly relevant as a showcase for new e car tech. Let it be the arena for electric motors in open wheel.

I still think a power cap would solve a lot of issues. Keep it high around 900bhp. Control emissions if F1 needs to be seen as "green". That is relevant. Let the engineers use their thinking caps and experiment with new technologies.
    JJ1 likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    1324 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Less aero, more mechanical grip = closer racing. I love wacky F1 aero but it's not relevant to anything, just nerding out on. I'd like to see bigger, softer compound tires.

Think of all the areas that are relevant to production cars that have been off limit to F1. Just a few years ago, F1 was limited to 14.0:1 compression. The 1.5L Mazda 2 sold worldwide has 14.0:1 compression.
    Variable valve timing and lift was also banned in F1. This is silly. Virtually every production engine now has continuously variable valve timing. Variable lift is less common but also key in combustion efficiency and specific output.

Hybrids are merely a stepping stone to full electric in production cars. In 10 years hybrids will be an anachronism. Hybrids in F1 are a knee jerk reaction. Who cares? Hybrids have made F1 racing duller, the cars less reliable and costlier. Massive fail.

Formula E holds promise and is highly relevant as a showcase for new e car tech. Let it be the arena for electric motors in open wheel.

I still think a power cap would solve a lot of issues. Keep it high around 900bhp. Control emissions if F1 needs to be seen as "green". That is relevant. Let the engineers use their thinking caps and experiment with new technologies.
    This all sound great except the part about controlling emissions. My first thought was Governer Moonbeam and California Smog tests! I would absolutely stop watching racing when the 1st driver is disqualified because his car failed SMOG tech.

Liked
    2131 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    This all sound great except the part about controlling emissions. My first thought was Governer Moonbeam and California Smog tests! I would absolutely stop watching racing when the 1st driver is disqualified because his car failed SMOG tech.
    at least VW will definitely now buyout Red Bull and dominate !!
    it will always pass smog.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    16 Cruze, free car !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR

Liked
    299 times

Hamilton, you didnt pass smog. Your race win will be redacted. You will be reported to DMV i mean FIA and a $49 fine. You will need to reinstall your cat. We (FIA) will send you to a star certified smog shop to have it repaired.

We will have smog check stations at pit lane. :P
    Olitho likes this.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1790 times

Even out the payout between the teams.
    It's all a circus anyways, give the small guys the budget to play harder.
    I'd absolutely love to see the mid field teams getting a better fighting chance.

Eliminate the engine development token system.
    It favors those who got it right the first time and does not allow the other manufacturers to catch up, which makes for boring races.

Bring a system of weight penalties, located in a standardized place in the chassis.
    Qualify first, get hit with a 5-10 Kg for the race (reset every weekend)
    Win the race, you're getting a bonus 15-30 Kg extra for the next race (lose a portion of it before the next weekend)
    No way in hell any car / driver wins more 2 races in a row, because if it did, by the 3rd race the car is 30-60 Kg heavier..

Liked
    20 times

Definitely would like to see a more open and innovative set of rules for engine design. WEC is awesome in that regard, and I think F1 would be wise to follow that.

Never been a big fan of weight penalties that accrue over a season, however kind of like the Q1-Q3 weight addition that is reset at each race.

Ever since this season began, I always had the idea that power units should be open to development. Once a team podiums however, they are then limited to a fixed number put in place by the FIA. That gives less successful teams the ability to continually develop over a season, and only if successful would they be required to retain that and future power units' design for the remainder of the season.
    Last edited by BOWERSdaAZIAN; 10-24-2015 at 09:30 AM.

Liked
    46 times

Default Bring back 1989/1990 regs!

I say bring back 1989 tire width and track width

3.5L engines unlimited # of cyl. drive by "cable"

fuel flow restrictor to limit max power

"burst" telemetry feed to pits only during pitstops (driver has full telemetry only)

Run '89 style spec wings, front and rear, limit winglets on bodywork, create "aero free" zones around the car

E85 or E100 (water can be used to quench any flames during fueling just like in Indycar!), refueling during the race

Full rear diffuser but stepped bottom so diffuser won't stall from bottoming like it did on Senna at Imola causing his crash!

Alesi with the Tyrrell 018 in Phoenix 1990.. I was there!

tumblr_mlekmriz8k1rod8iso1_1280.jpg

bmcur6ecyaenmsp.jpg
    Last edited by TYP85; 10-26-2015 at 08:22 PM.

likes to left foot brake. passmenow's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    "For example with the DRS [drag reduction system] it doesn't feel organic, it doesn't feel like natural racing.
    That's funny, easy for LH with superior Merc power to say eliminate DRS.
    74 911 RSR+.
    88 Imsa Camaro.
    93 Imsa Camaro.

Liked
    517 times

The most effective way to 'improve' F1 would be to provide free beer to the fans.

I've said before...people look at the past with rose-colored glasses.

Clark had a car so good he won the WDC without running all the races in the 1960s
    The only thing that stopped Lotus in the 70s was Colin Chapman
    McLaren had cars that dominated in the 1980s
    Williams produced a car that could not be defeated in the early 1990s
    Ferrari owned half of the 2000s
    Red Bull won 4 titles in a row

Mercedes and the current situation are still at the piker stage having really been strong for only two seasons.

The bottom line is...it is as it ever was. So shall it be written, so shall it be done.

steve
    BOWERSdaAZIAN likes this.

Liked
    456 times

just take 2 wheel away from them
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    1 times

[QUOTE=SteveLevin;137469]The most effective way to 'improve' F1 would be to provide free beer to the fans.

To the drivers?

+ Reply to Thread