• 4 Post By fatbillybob
  • 1 Post By bawareca
  • 1 Post By Stuntman

Thread: e36 M3 with Aero. Loose now at BW13CW

Liked
    16 times

Default e36 M3 with Aero. Loose now at BW13CW

My latest video is here: https://youtu.be/zMs0A0BCmfw

This last weekend at Buttonwillow, the rear just wouldn't stay planted in some of the high speed sections. Also, in cotton corners, I had to be patient, the rear wanted to slide.

My car specs:
    1998 e36 M3 (Stock S52)
    AD08R 245/40/17 squared
    Alumilite splitter
    Voltex Type IV wing
    3.73 FD with an extra clutch pack
    KW Clubsport Coilovers w/ 800lb Swift Springs (Linear) in the rear spring buckets. My rear is sitting about an inch higher than it did before with the stock KW beehives. About an inch more rake, I'm guessing. I don't have any exact numbers for rake, I am going by how much of my rear tire is hidden behind the arches.

The rears are at their lowest setting and if I go with a shorter spring, I have to worry about the spring falling out when I jack up the car.

This is an older video BEFORE the rear springs were installed. As you can see it is planted and I can keep the power down.
    https://youtu.be/9_L8G-61vQo

Where should I start to try and dial out this loose rear?
    Add more wing angle?
    Raise the front to reduce rake?
    Try helper springs with shorter springs in the rear to have it sit lower?
    Reduce rear compression?
    How can I do?

Liked
    1541 times

What you do 1st is set up the mechanical grip. That means you go back to basics and get your rake right again. You can't bandaid that with aero.

Liked
    16 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    What you do 1st is set up the mechanical grip. That means you go back to basics and get your rake right again. You can't bandaid that with aero.
    I was expecting that... I just didn't want to try and adjust ride height again. I guess I should try to find a shorter spring and helper spring combo and hope that it doesn't fall out of the spring bucket when my car is at full droop.
    How can I do?

Liked
    16 times

Ok, so I got shorter springs and a helper to help it stay in the spring bucket at full droop. I think I'm back to the same rake or at least really close to it. But of course, nothing can be that smooth, as I was doing my pre-track day inspection, I found a broken front sway bar bracket. I haven't seen any reinforcement kits for these. Any recommendations? The front stud was bent and I had to bend it back, but the stud is not straight and I'm sure it has been weakened. I need to try and remedy this for future track days... hopefully it'll hold up next weekend if I can't reinforce it by then.

brokensway1.jpg
    brokensway2.jpg
    How can I do?

Liked
    660 times

If you can tight the nut with the required toque and it doesnt snap it probably would be Ok for a track day or 2.
    BANKAI likes this.

JJ1
    Liked
    185 times

I'm guessing this ASB bracket was causing your handling issues...

"Shoe"
    Liked
    567 times

Do you have the stock 685lb front spring in it?

An inch more rake is HUGE. What's your ride height NOW (measured from the ground to the front and rear jack point 'pucks'?

What's your alignment?

What was the ride height before and how was the balance? -Did you only change the springs or did you change the springs and aero when you tracked the car last?

Liked
    16 times

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1 View Post
    I'm guessing this ASB bracket was causing your handling issues...
    Possibly, I'm not sure when it broke. It might have broken the following day of this video when I was running counter-clockwise. I misjudged the bus stop berm and launched my car once or twice...
    How can I do?

Liked
    16 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Do you have the stock 685lb front spring in it?

An inch more rake is HUGE. What's your ride height NOW (measured from the ground to the front and rear jack point 'pucks'?

What's your alignment?

What was the ride height before and how was the balance? -Did you only change the springs or did you change the springs and aero when you tracked the car last?
    Hey Billy, glad to see you still find time to help us out here!
    I just swapped out to shorter rear springs and have 3/4" rake now. In the video above, the rear of my car sat about 1/2" higher.
    Here are some pictures of my ride height:
    Before my 800lbs rear springs (KW Clubsport beehive)
    BEFORE_e36_KWrear01.jpg

After my 800lbs rear springs.
    AFTER_e36_800lbs01.jpg

Alignment: Toe 0 up front. 3/32 Toe in in the rear (I think. West End usually just gives me their recommended rear toe for my car).
    3.6 degrees in camber up front, 1.9 degrees in the rear. In the video, I have a lot more rake because I asked West End to leave my rake alone and just align it because I shaved 4 seconds off my CVR PB =) with this current setup.
    My current alignment (in video above)
    Alignment.jpg

I had the same alignment/corner balance before the 800lbs rear springs installed and it understeered mid corner, corner exit. Springs are the ONLY thing that changed (besides a roll bar and some strut bars). Aero was untouched and remained on.
    According to KW, my KW Clubsport spring rates are 685lbs/525lbs Progressive (F/R). I went with 800lbs rear linear springs in the video above. So my current setup is 685/800 (F/R)

Thanks!
    Last edited by BANKAI; 10-07-2017 at 05:33 PM.
    How can I do?

"Shoe"
    Liked
    567 times

Fix your swaybar and try the lower rear ride height and report back. What's the ride height at the jack points? The car looks low.

Liked
    16 times

Fix your swaybar and try the lower rear ride height and report back. What's the ride height at the jack points? The car looks low.
    Fixed the sway (for now. Will need to reinforce this in the future). There was zero grease between the bushing and the sway bar, which probably attributed to breaking that bushing bracket. I'll have to add this to my track prep.
    Lowered the rear ride height.
    Current ride height is:
    4 1/4" at the front jack point from the ground, up.... and just barely over 5 1/4" at the rear jack point, so I guess the points I used before were a little off since I thought I had 3/4" rake. It looks like I have an inch of rake.

I'm heading to buttonwillow next weekend, so hopefully this feels much better, but more importantly, FASTER! hahaha
    How can I do?

"Shoe"
    Liked
    567 times

Try grabbing some NanoPro MT (blue) Marine Grease from Autozone to lube the swaybar bushings. You shouldn't need to lube it more than once a year or two. Over 1" of rake is pushing it on the E36. I might back that down to 3/4" or just under 1".
    BANKAI likes this.

Liked
    16 times

Try grabbing some NanoPro MT (blue) Marine Grease from Autozone to lube the swaybar bushings. You shouldn't need to lube it more than once a year or two. Over 1" of rake is pushing it on the E36. I might back that down to 3/4" or just under 1".
    I used some lithium grease I had lying around, but I'll pick that up for the future. I didn't have time to grease the rear sway bar bushings yet. Thanks for the tip!
    How can I do?

Liked
    16 times

https://youtu.be/AL8n00LLElk

Okay, so I didn't break anything, so that's good... but I didn't break my personal best either. lol
    Car had slight entry understeer. I softened the front compression 2 clicks and it felt good so I left it the rest of the day. I know there are some mistakes here and there but if you see something that is blatantly wrong, like the line, gear, anything, please share!
    How can I do?

+ Reply to Thread