+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Driving style

Liked
    984 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    What a joke by CCR to call that a training video. There is a long discussions about this incident on Ferrarichat. The black car driver was tried and convicted by video and sanctioned. We all know video lies. The black car was a full data car and showed the steering angle trace with no movement of his wheel until the red car hit him. Yet the black car driver was sanctioned. On top of that this was out of class contact! Politics! It is always about who you know.
    Ah yes, the all too common driving style known as more money than talent. And yeah 100% red car's fault. The track bends left there. What a lucky SOB for surviving that!

Liked
    1556 times

For those who ride/race motorcycles and who also track/race cars do you feel trailbraking a car is as important as trailbraking a bike? Compared to a bike the car seems like a dull knife and maybe trailbraking is not as important?

"Shoe"
    Liked
    572 times

It depends on the car/setup. Some cars (especially those with poor weight distribution - heavy nose weight) don't trail-brake well and thus are slower from trailbraking. However this is far less common and most of the time it is faster to trail-brake and keep the tire at the limit of the friction circle through the entire corner. The amount and level of trailbraking will again depend on the car and setup.
    Loose Caboose and Gian like this.

Liked
    15 times

@fatbillybob as the type of rider who tends to snap the bike to maximum lean (seems to be a standard on 125GP bike) I can tell you that bikes are actually rather slow to turn, trailing the brakes on a bike has the double whammy of speeding up the steering but also keeping the force in the tire equal as you transition from brake loading and corner loading. The easiest way to visualize it is if braking compresses the forks say 2" once you add a corner load that will compress the forks another 1" you need to raise the forks an equal amount. So easing off the brake to let the forks rise 1" while the cornering force compress the forks 1" at the same time you get a net 0 change in load.

With all that said I think trailing the brakes in the car is as eqaully important. Stuntman sums it up succinctly but to expand on it using my description above; obviously if you're using 100% of the available traction for braking the instant you add even 1% you're compressing the suspension/tire/adding force that will exceed what's available. Also obvious (or it should be)as you add force you need to reduce it somewhere else (add turning force reduce brake force) etc. In the car you get the added benefit of essentially the rear rotating around the front which allows you to use less steering input. As I mentioned earlier (I think) you manage to get the most out of all four tires at once. Much the same way you bend a bike into the corner you need to bend the tire into a corner. Trail braking takes the shock out of the transition.

Not meaning to belabor this to much but there are many people who tell new track drivers to do all their braking in a straight line. Given that most cars now have ABS Stabilty Control etc. they're not likely to be risking locking the rear tires on corner entry (I seem to be the only idiot who shoes up in a 45 yr old car). I've always disagreed with this (right or wrong) and teach people to trail the brakes from the get go, they are going to have to learn it eventually and no sense having them unlearn one technique for another. Trail braking isn't the end all be all but I believe it to be a very important tool.

Note if you're driving a car that pumps the exhaust directly into the rear diffuser (like an old Indy Lights or F3000 car) feel free to ignore all of the above. Ok I've gone on long enough..........
    Last edited by Tom1200; 03-21-2017 at 09:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2