+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Driving style

Liked
    1293 times

Default Driving style

What is your driving style? I guess we all have one. I don't know what mine is. How much is driving style the car you drive?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2159 times

Flatout
    SteveLevin, pucsicsal and redtopz like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    1293 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Flatout
    but you got 100hp... So is that your driving style or your car dictating style to a great degree?
    bellwilliam likes this.

likes to left foot brake. passmenow's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times

My driving style varies...
    Private track day vs amateur race day.
    Passenger in car or no passenger.
    New paint or old paint on my race car, (self/car preservation).
    Racing a car for sale reduces my interest in risk taking.

Driving style varies between my 911 and front engine V8 cars.
    Some can drive 3 different cars in one day.
    I'm more comfortable trying to drive just one car well all day.

I do like to left foot brake everything that allows it...
    The nannies that kill the throttle when both pedals pushed requires a change in driving style.
    Last edited by passmenow; 03-12-2017 at 07:51 AM.
    74 911 RSR+.
    88 Imsa Camaro.
    93 Imsa Camaro.

Liked
    1293 times

Quote Originally Posted by passmenow View Post
    My driving style varies...

I do like to left foot brake everything that allows it...
    The nannies that kill the throttle when both pedals pushed requires a change in driving style.
    This sounds more like a car dependent thing than someone who says they always brake in a straight line for example. I LFB automatics all day long. But my vette has a stick and my brain is too stupid to allow my left foot to clutch and LFB so in a clutch car I don't. Last weekend I was racing a very simple track and was bored so I really tried to LFB the vette and shift as needed. I found a trick (for me) which was to LFB go back to the dead pedal. Clutch and go back to the deadpedal. LFB back to the dead pedal and that starting referrence point made my brain allow each operation. IF I let my foot hang out over the brake I was just as likely to press the brake in when I wanted clutch as I was to properly go for the clutch. All that said I found my vette has really good corner entry and really LFB did me no good. That might be due to a square tire set-up that tends to take out corner entry understeer. So again the driving style was really car set-up dependent.

Most modern cars will nanny you when you press both pedals. Is there a way to defeat that in general? Using both pedal can be an advantage but my vette has so little power in this class configuration that I feel no need for that fine balance that might benefit a car with lots more power and torque.

Liked
    695 times

I drive with overly acute anticipation which is awesome for situational awareness, bad for overall speed and lap times. I STILL shuffle steer, but I think it's a size constraint (my right hand will contact my thigh above the knee. I'm a 'flow' driver and I think I have above average spatial awareness. The only times I seem to be faster is on a damp or wet track. For some reason, I really enjoy narrower tires on small wheels over wider ones on larger wheels. I'm trying to rationalize that last bit.
    bawareca likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

likes to left foot brake. passmenow's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Most modern cars will nanny you when you press both pedals. Is there a way to defeat that in general?
    None of my cars have nannies so thankfully have not had to deal with it much.
    LFB is common on low hp carts so it is not a big power technique only.
    The old thunder roadsters have low hp and they provide both a left foot and and right foot brake pedal.
    It helps me in the 300hp 911 as well.

Learning to LFB 15 years ago was my best driving/car control improvement.
    My driver issue was large size 14 feet in a small pedal box, left foot hovering over the brake gave me confidence that I could find the brake pedal immediately.
    Here is an admission I installed a remote brake light above my shift light so I can see if my left foot is activating my brake lights unnecessarily.
    I even have my pit guy advise the driver on grid behind me that I LFB and that I am not intentionally brake light checking them.
    Here LFB was not for car control or weight transfer but for avoiding being pushed off the track.
    https://youtu.be/UR04l6sAj64?t=6m17s

I RFB during heel toe downshifts but it is awkward after downshifting to switch from RFB back to LFB.

Yes when first learning my LFB footwork I came onto the front straight with a car behind me...
    It was the only time I ever forgot to move my left foot from brake to clutch.
    I gave that poor guy the wildest brake check as we tracked out onto the straight I slammed on the brakes instead of the clutch...quickly learned never to do that again...

My driving style is going to change again soon when I start driving a sports car to occasion track days instead of towing.
    Without a trailer keeping the car in shape for the drive home becomes a priority.
    74 911 RSR+.
    88 Imsa Camaro.
    93 Imsa Camaro.

Liked
    965 times

Quarter mile at a time

fast-furios.jpg

Liked
    443 times

Driving styles are limitations.
    bawareca and Blackbird like this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2159 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Driving styles are limitations.
    This.

The driver most able to adapt to the conditions, competition strategy and inputs the car wants will be the most successful.
    bawareca likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    2140 times

I would have to go with the word "sportsmanlike." I drive as fast as I can without going over the edge where I'm not sure I can make a pass. I'm not an aggressive blocker, either.

Early in the race, I can appreciate someone else getting a run on me and making a clean pass. Late in the race, my level of appreciation decreases, so I might be a little more furtive in a one-move block. I don't think I'd make a two-move block because it's illegal and a bit dickish if you ask me.

I'd also use the word "predictable" because it's safer for everyone and ultimately more fun because mishaps are fewer. I really enjoy the friendship of the people I race with. I'd like to keep it that way.

That's probably not very exciting or type A, but it seems to work for me. Maybe as I get faster that'll change.

Liked
    1962 times

I don't think blocking is cool on any level. Driving a defensive line is fine, but once you start making a move to kill the momentum of the other driver, that to me is not sportsmanlike.

But all of that is not a driving style. That is a race tactic.
    bawareca and Gian like this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    49 times

Dickish is a style. And I know drivers that have it.

Liked
    15 times

Like most motorcycle guys I'm a trail braker. A friend once described my style as slippery smooth; I'm getting the most (or trying) out of all 4 tires at once.

My fabricator has called me a chameleon; I adapt to what a car needs immediately and with no effort. This does have its down side. In a car with little or no adjustments it's fine but rather tha drive around something change the set up dummy.

Also like most motorcycle racers I'm also on the agressive side as well extremely comfortable with oversteer. Being blessed with better than average car control can lead you down a blind alley.

And yes I agree driving styles can be a limitation; I find understeery cars a chore to drive. If you want to be amused watch me drive a shifter kart, unlike cars that where I seem to adapt I spend the first session reminding myself I don't need to trail the brakes. My motorcycle tuner once said that "if Tom doesn't like a bike in the first 100 yards he never will" sadly it's pretty much true when it comes to bikes.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom1200; 03-16-2017 at 08:32 PM.

Liked
    1962 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz14 View Post
    Dickish is a style. And I know drivers that have it.
    I have that short style of driving.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    780 times

Oli, in view of your stout hearted Viking lineage, never associate the words "short" and "dick" in the same paragraph.

Olitho likes this.

Liked
    429 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Early in the race, I can appreciate someone else getting a run on me and making a clean pass. Late in the race, my level of appreciation decreases, so I might be a little more furtive in a one-move block. I don't think I'd make a two-move block because it's illegal and a bit dickish if you ask me.
    What I just read and thought? Be aggressive with Brenda early in the race, she's a pushover.
    Olitho and bawareca like this.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Liked
    2140 times

Quote Originally Posted by jimt View Post
    What I just read and thought? Be aggressive with Brenda early in the race, she's a pushover.
    Uh, no, Jim. It means I can appreciate when someone gets a good run on me, and I'll give you a thumbs up, too. Then I'll be coming for you.

This is what happens when you can't appreciate someone else's corner exit:

Liked
    429 times

Uh, no, Jim. It means I can appreciate when someone gets a good run on me, and I'll give you a thumbs up, too. Then I'll be coming for you.

Now all I can think about is this:
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Liked
    1293 times

What a joke by CCR to call that a training video. There is a long discussions about this incident on Ferrarichat. The black car driver was tried and convicted by video and sanctioned. We all know video lies. The black car was a full data car and showed the steering angle trace with no movement of his wheel until the red car hit him. Yet the black car driver was sanctioned. On top of that this was out of class contact! Politics! It is always about who you know.
    bawareca likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast