+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Looking to get HANS device 3 point compatible

Liked
    216 times

FYI - Here's one of Ghidinelli's webinars on the product, linked from the Simpson Hybrid page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30mjEbQ7RbY

Summary: Simpson did crash testing in 3pt belt configuration and compared it with their baseline. They reported a 33% decrease in "neck injury criteria" and measured a 55-60% decrease in "neck tension". You're safer with this device vs baseline, according Simpson. Their testing did not appear to factor SRS(airbags), though I believe that doesn't change the results with the particular measurement used here with neck tension.

Simpson has the Hybrid for sale direct for $928 recently (web cache)

I have no experience in this particular product, though it seems like a great product that fills a dangerous void in the market. My only recommendation is actually to the fine people at Simpson. Consider a version at a price point that lowers barriers to entry for non-racers. Perhaps one that's _only_ 3pt compatible to get to an ultra low price in the $399 range (thereby with minimal risk of cannibalizing the premium product lines that offer this).

Liked
    2282 times

I am pretty sure $300 of $1,100 is for product liability insurance
    Olitho likes this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    136 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post

where is our safety police, fatbillybob.....
    I can simulate Carl for you. "Your going to die if you......" 
    Last edited by CharleyH; 08-15-2017 at 04:56 PM.
    Olitho and bellwilliam like this.

Liked
    237 times

Interesting thread.

With all the new(er), very fast cars on the market these days, what is the "operating envelope" of the crashworthiness of these cars? At what speed and crash situation (i.e., frontal collision, roll-over, etc.) do the crumple zones, OEM seat belts, and airbags not prevent fatal injuries?
    Olitho and bellwilliam like this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1882 times

No car is built to withstand the forces from a hard crash at the speeds that these cars are capable of.
    William's new GT350 would run what, ~140-150 MPH at WSIR and ACS?
    At these speeds even a properly built race car with all the safety equipment in the world will get WELL tested for its' crash worthiness.

Liked
    237 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    No car is built to withstand the forces from a hard crash at the speeds that these cars are capable of.
    William's new GT350 would run what, ~140-150 MPH at WSIR and ACS?
    At these speeds even a properly built race car with all the safety equipment in the world will get WELL tested for its' crash worthiness.
    Agreed.

I'm sure the manufacturers have this "crash envelope" information based on engineering analysis and test results. I'd be interested to see it, although for legal reasons, they probably wouldn't want to share it.

I can see some trial lawyer stating in court, "You built a 4-door sedan capable of reaching 150 mph knowing that the occupants would most likely die in a frontal crash at 130 mph! Your company is a menace to society! Your honor, I rest my case!"
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    39 times

Clarifying question here. Is this what you guys call a "three point" that you are discussing in this thread:

Or is it this:

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    Clarifying question here. Is this what you guys call a "three point" that you are discussing in this thread:

"OEM"

Or is it this:

"Suicide belt"
    Top one. Bottom is Corbeau 4 point suicide harness (since it isn't ASM).
    I deleted your bottom picture, as mentioning of non-ASM 4 point isn't allowed on Trackhq
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 08-15-2017 at 08:49 PM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    39 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Top one. Bottom is Corbeau 4 point suicide harness (since it isn't ASM).
    I deleted your bottom picture, as mentioning of non-ASM 4 point isn't allowed on Trackhq
    Ah, OK, we call that a "lap/sash" seatbelt. Regular HANS just isn't going to work with that. It looks to me like you are going to need a Simpson Hybrid.

Liked
    5 times

Default Glad I found this thread

I ordered a Schroth racing device and I am sending it back. It just doesn't feel right.
    When I was into karting I used to use a valhalla 360 Device (https://www.valhallaracing.com/products/360-plus-device)
    It straps into you chest in a similar fashion.

Anyway, I am looking to get one of the simpson devices. Does anyone know what is the difference between the sport and the Pro Lite and then the Pro ?
    I called in to Simpson I was told it was just the material on the Pro lite vs the Sport. What about the Pro?
    Thanks

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2391 times

Quote Originally Posted by FoxSTI View Post
    ..Anyway, I am looking to get one of the simpson devices. Does anyone know what is the difference between the sport and the Pro Lite and then the Pro ? ..
    The Hybrid-S is the only model designed to be compatible with 3 PT OEM harnesses. That's what me, William, Alan and Sonny just ordered. Sonny does a lot of right seat pro coaching so it's an occupational hazard thing for him.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    1486 times

I think the big question is when was the last time you heard of a basilar skull fracture with oem 3pt belts???

Liked
    58 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    I think the big question is when was the last time you heard of a basilar skull fracture with oem 3pt belts???
    Agreed, but how many times have you heard "haven't seen that before". ?

Liked
    1486 times

Quote Originally Posted by GraemeD View Post
    Agreed, but how many times have you heard "haven't seen that before". ?
    Everyone has to do their own research because they are not racing an oem car with complete oem safety system intact. Once you change the safety system you are on your own and reap the unintended consquences. There was a time we thought being thrown away from the car was good! Now we have extreme containment in the highest forms of racing. Your research will show that BSF started to become a more common issue as containment increased. And so if you can find research that shows BSF is a real risks with 3pt belts let me know. The reason for head neck restraint is really for one type of injury that is particularly fatal in racecars.

Liked
    2391 times

Wearing a helmet vs not wearing a helmet? If it's wearing a helmet then I don't think it matters what kind of belt. The issue is more about what type of impact it is. Get hit on the right and a street cars has zero protection and it's worse with a 3lb helmet on your 9 lbs head.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    1486 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Wearing a helmet vs not wearing a helmet? If it's wearing a helmet then I don't think it matters what kind of belt. The issue is more about what type of impact it is. Get hit on the right and a street cars has zero protection and it's worse with a 3lb helmet on your 9 lbs head.
    It depends on the impact. The events are never 1 dimensional. It is not about a belt or a helmet or an airbag. It is about a safety system designed for a chess match.

Liked
    2391 times

It depends on the impact. The events are never 1 dimensional. It is not about a belt or a helmet or an airbag. It is about a safety system designed for a chess match.
    The events are never one dimensional, agreed. Sometimes, perhaps often times, the particular force exerted on the occupant that kills them is though. To wit, impacts to the driver from the right that passenger cars do diddly to protect you from.
    Most race cars have center nets these days. Some have those nets and a halo and an HNRS that offers partial protection from those impacts. IOW, significant mitigation of loads from that particular vector.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2