• 1 Post By Gian
  • 1 Post By bawareca
  • 1 Post By bawareca
  • 1 Post By Stuntman

Thread: Heat shielding material

Liked
    2280 times

Default Heat shielding material

I'd like to add some heat shielding to my floor to keep heat from the intermediate pipe from frying my foot. What have you used that you like? I'd like it to stick to the floor pan if possible. It's not legal to wrap the exhaust pipe in Spec Miata.

Liked
    222 times

What part of your foot... back of heel resting on floor, or side radiant?

Any chance you have an exhaust leak?

It will get hot down there, but it shouldn't be to the point of discomfort for your foot.

I've heard good things about Lava Mat, never used it myself. The reflective aluminized fiberglass also seems to work well.

Liked
    2280 times

It would go on the floor where it transitions to the transmission tunnel down by the gas pedal, where the mid pipe is located under the car. I don't have a leak, but I can feel the heat. I had a mid pipe without the factory shielding on it and it bloody well roasted my foot. I replaced it real quick with one that had the shielding.

It's livable as is, but I'd like to see if I can make it better.

Liked
    2 times

I did this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFxWOdOMrgM&t=73s

It worked great. I took it out when I move the car from TTE to SM. Then my SM cage builder said it was legal in SM.
    I'll probably put it back in next time I change the transmission.

Liked
    2280 times

Does the heat shield come with a crown, too? That looks like just the ticket. Thanks.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    572 times

Quote Originally Posted by SeanB View Post
    What part of your foot... back of heel resting on floor, or side radiant?

Any chance you have an exhaust leak?

It will get hot down there, but it shouldn't be to the point of discomfort for your foot.

I've heard good things about Lava Mat, never used it myself. The reflective aluminized fiberglass also seems to work well.
    Great stuff but HeatShield Product's HP Sticky Shield is FAR more effective:

https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/a...-sticky-shield

Good read on using a lot of their products:

Dodge Viper GTS Exhaust Heat HeatShield Products
    SeanB and ucfbrett like this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1932 times

Better than stick-on solutions, part number on page 2 -
    https://www.miataturbo.net/race-prep...shields-90059/

"Shoe"
    Liked
    572 times

Not sure if it's better than HP Sticky shield, which has a fiberous insulation layer. If that muffler heat shield doesn't have a significant air gap behind it, it may not be any better, and if it touches the chassis, it can be much worse.

Liked
    468 times

I used the HP sticky shield on my RX7. On the tunnel and on the exhaust shield between the intake. Big difference! Not sure about the cabin temps other then it feels cooler. But under the hood 20 to 30 deg. cooler and I can put my hand on the tunnel after a race. When I could not before. That's checking the bottom of the air cleaner.
    Stuntman likes this.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    760 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Great stuff but HeatShield Product's HP Sticky Shield is FAR more effective:

https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/a...-sticky-shield

Good read on using a lot of their products:

Dodge Viper GTS Exhaust Heat HeatShield Products

I used this on my car. It works great. I put it on the underside of the tunnel, but make sure to degrease and clean the surface first. I would even suggest rattlecan painting the underside too in order to give the adhesive a clean surface to stick to.

I have a coated JR header and it burned the paint closest to it's location in that transition. I cleaned and painted that inside.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442967680.353179.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457037493.272462.jpg

I used aluminum tape to seal the edges.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    714 times

Quote Originally Posted by EricJoh View Post
    I did this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFxWOdOMrgM&t=73s

It worked great. I took it out when I move the car from TTE to SM. Then my SM cage builder said it was legal in SM.
    I'll probably put it back in next time I change the transmission.
    I only watched this video on my phone but it sure looks like the "King" favored the wrong side when installing the heat shield. It looks like the shield ends well above the down pipe but plenty of shield over on the non-exhaust side.

My feet got hot in my car after having the tunnel reshaped to fit a race seat. I had to reshape my Borla SM exhaust resonator to keep it from touching the tunnel. I tried some adhesive shielding but it didn't seem to help much.
    Last edited by Red_5; 07-17-2017 at 06:07 AM.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1932 times

It's installed with an air gap, as the link states

Liked
    670 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Better than stick-on solutions, part number on page 2 -
    https://www.miataturbo.net/race-prep...shields-90059/
    Yeah, I use this kind OEM heat shielding for many years and it works amazing with some airgap.
    Blackbird likes this.

Liked
    714 times

Has anyone noticed increased floor / cockpit heat after installing hood vents? It seemed like all of the sudden the floor in my old NB race car got really hot and iirc, it was after I installed hood vents. I'm not saying the hood vents are definitely the cause but I'm curious so I'm asking. My theory is that with hood vents, there's less air moving the heat from the header back the tunnel and out the back.

Liked
    1555 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    Has anyone noticed increased floor / cockpit heat after installing hood vents? It seemed like all of the sudden the floor in my old NB race car got really hot and iirc, it was after I installed hood vents. I'm not saying the hood vents are definitely the cause but I'm curious so I'm asking. My theory is that with hood vents, there's less air moving the heat from the header back the tunnel and out the back.
    I think there are always unintended consequences. Building racecars is hard work! I see lots of hood vents and always wonder about the trade off between engine cooling and aero drag creation as just one issue.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    572 times

Properly designed hood vents GREATLY reduce front lift/increase front downforce for little to no increase in drag. They also really improve the cooling efficiency of the radiator. I'm not sure why your floor go hotter, there must be a reason that you're not aware of. If anything the engine bay temps will be lower with a hood vent.

Liked
    670 times

If most of the air that enters the engine bay exits through the hood vent, the flow around the engine and the exhaust will be much lower than if all the air exits from the bottom. There is some logic in what Eric has experienced.
    Red_5 likes this.

Liked
    714 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Properly designed hood vents GREATLY reduce front lift/increase front downforce for little to no increase in drag. They also really improve the cooling efficiency of the radiator. I'm not sure why your floor go hotter, there must be a reason that you're not aware of. If anything the engine bay temps will be lower with a hood vent.
    I appreciate your response and knowledge and agree that properly designed hood vents will reduce lift and engine temps. What I'm not getting though and it's what I'm guessing could have contributed to my hot floor is that if you have a fixed sized hole allowing air through your radiator and now you allow large amounts of that air to escape out low pressure area hood vents there stands to reason you'll have less air moving past a header and transmission and such. Again, just my theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    If most of the air that enters the engine bay exits through the hood vent, the flow around the engine and the exhaust will be much lower than if all the air exits from the bottom. There is some logic in what Eric has experienced.
    Thanks!

"Shoe"
    Liked
    572 times

While the hood vent reduces a high pressure under the hood, not all of the air is going out the hood vent. There will still be a significant amount of airflow around the engine and exhaust. I still don't think a hood vent will appreciably affect floor temps.

FWIW, we tested a vented hood on our mustang racecar, and engine bay component temps went way down and there was no measured increase in floor or cabin temps. Every car is different but I still don't think that's the problem. Maybe put some floor temp strips on your car and measure the difference with the vented and stock hood..
    Red_5 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread