+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: GRM Safety Article

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    47
    Liked
    0 times

    Default GRM Safety Article

    Old news for most of you, but a good read and reminder to be prepared. Stay safe, everyone.

    https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...paign=GRMDaily

  2. #2
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,335
    Liked
    765 times

    Default

    I remember talking about this here back in 2010 when the article first came out. Always good to revisit such things.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  3. #3
    Senior Member fatbillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    by the beach
    Posts
    2,087
    Liked
    1720 times

    Default

    Orphan wires got me once. When converting a streetcar to race car we have this thought that one day we will return a track car back to street duty. That means orphaned wires. Some of mine started a small electrical fire on the back stretch of ACS before the chicane. I went right for the grass on the right before the fire guys on the other side of the penis. I jumped out of my car so fast the fire guys got a good chuckle after seeing I was just fine and my electric cutoff switch did its job. They laughed as they had not seen a guy got out of a smoking car that fast in quite a while. Moral of the story is manage your orphaned wires.

  4. #4
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,642
    Liked
    2357 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Orphan wires got me once. When converting a streetcar to race car we have this thought that one day we will return a track car back to street duty. That means orphaned wires. Some of mine started a small electrical fire on the back stretch of ACS before the chicane. I went right for the grass on the right before the fire guys on the other side of the penis. I jumped out of my car so fast the fire guys got a good chuckle after seeing I was just fine and my electric cutoff switch did its job. They laughed as they had not seen a guy got out of a smoking car that fast in quite a while. Moral of the story is manage your orphaned wires.
    This is always firmly in mind when I'm removing things and leaving harnesses with open ends.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    20
    Liked
    2 times

    Default

    I literally came here to create a post about glove recommendations after this GRM article posted in my gmail feed yesterday. I found it compelling enough to complete the collection of the rest of my safety gear ASAP / this week.

    That being said, hopefully no one minds if I thread jack a little bit. I understand the adage of getting the best you can afford, but what are the differences in the $250 gloves vs. the $90 gloves? They both have multiple layers of nomex, and the same SFI ratings. I am willing to compromise on fit and feel, provided the gloves are safe. Thoughts? I also have the same questions about the undergarments (socks, underwear, balaclava, etc.).

  6. #6
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,236
    Liked
    2344 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iwannarace View Post

    That being said, hopefully no one minds if I thread jack a little bit. I understand the adage of getting the best you can afford, but what are the differences in the $250 gloves vs. the $90 gloves? They both have multiple layers of nomex, and the same SFI ratings. I am willing to compromise on fit and feel, provided the gloves are safe. Thoughts? I also have the same questions about the undergarments (socks, underwear, balaclava, etc.).
    There may be some differences in fit and feel and construction quality or there may not. There might be some differences in the quality of the materials or there may not. But I can assure you the bigger brands will have a hefty market for the brand image.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    20
    Liked
    2 times

    Default

    So you're saying to buy any quality, reasonably priced, sfi-rated item regardless of brand?

  8. #8
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,236
    Liked
    2344 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iwannarace View Post
    So you're saying to buy any quality, reasonably priced, sfi-rated item regardless of brand?
    It is my belief that is a safe and accurate statement.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    20
    Liked
    2 times

    Default

    That's helpful, thank you.

    Next question, how many of you DON'T wear FR long pants and shirt under your multi-layer suit? As if the suit wasn't already hot enough in the CA 100+ degree weather. Wearing another layer just seems brutal.

  10. #10
    Senior Member robburgoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,009
    Liked
    1495 times

    Default

    Counterfeit sfi is a thing.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    20
    Liked
    2 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Counterfeit sfi is a thing.
    I saw a thread on that while reading through the first 10 pages in the Safety forum.

  12. #12
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,335
    Liked
    765 times

    Default

    I haven't tried a fancy, newer driver's suit but in my old suit once I'm in the car I think the more insulation the better on hot days. I have a long sleeve carbon X cool shirt and I always wear carbon x bottoms. When it's cooler I have a long sleeve FR top that I'll wear if not using a cool suit.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts