+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Sprinkles
  • 1 Post By craZee

Thread: Anyone added padding to their race seat?

Liked
    5 times

Default Anyone added padding to their race seat?

So although I bought a regular size seat, I sink into the bottom / back a little and due to the geometry of the car I am a little tilted back and sunken in.
    I am not tall, I am 5-6 and I am sure my torso height has a lot to do with the fact that I am pushed in the seat.

anyway, the seat in an OMP HTE-R on Sparco HD mounts. I am already at the top holes and running a seat slider which already adds 1" or height (and a lot of play to the seat - do not like)
    I am thinking of either making custom side mounts or just getting some foam form an upholstery and stashing it under the bottom cushion.

I was thinking of deleting the seat rails and making a spacer of the same thickness our of HDPE or maybe alum. 1.5" high.
    The question here is, what do most people do in similar situation besides selling the car? LOL

Liked
    41 times

I've seen drop in seat inserts used at Bathurst where there's a big discrepancy in the height of the two drivers. Not sure who makes them.

But if it's just you driving the car, I would recommend remaking the brackets, and get rid of the adjustable seat rail. We installed one of those a few months back to accommodate a mate's son, who is 6'4", and the play in it makes me very nervous.
    ucfbrett and FoxSTI like this.

Liked
    222 times

Seats are a pain in the ass. They never feel "right" before the out lap.

Inserts are accepted at every level of motorsports. It can significantly enhance comfort and more importantly, safety. You're right to take it seriously. A poorly sized seat can cost lap time. It can also lead to debilitating injury in even minor impacts, curb strikes, and occasional agricultural adventures. This happens all the time.

There was a recent thread on THQ for pouring seats and different types of foams used in motorsports. Well worth the read if you haven't perused it yet.
    Seat Insert Pour Material and Technique

It may not be the case here, but I don't like the idea of using so much foam in ways that it lessens the contaminant of the seat (depends on the seat/style). If that's a factor, I think it's time to adjust the seat position. I'm also not a fan of sliders for various reasons, mostly I don't trust they're up to the task.

The solutions proposed here sound good. It often helps to mock up with scrap pieces of foam. Be sure to check belt geometry after the changes, and modify anchor points if necessary.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2466 times

To get lower in the car, I usually remove the OEM padding from FIA seats. I bought some 1/2" and 3/8" thick sheets of memory foam off Amazon. Just enough to take the edge off.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    41 times

Default Seat inserts in action

Here's a couple of pics of seat inserts from the GT race at SMSP last Saturday. As you can see, they look distinctly home made.

Liked
    472 times

Do what Oli does and eat more desserts. Your problem will soon be solved!
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by SeanB View Post
    Seats are a pain in the ass. They never feel "right" before the out lap.

Inserts are accepted at every level of motorsports. It can significantly enhance comfort and more importantly, safety. You're right to take it seriously. A poorly sized seat can cost lap time. It can also lead to debilitating injury in even minor impacts, curb strikes, and occasional agricultural adventures. This happens all the time.

There was a recent thread on THQ for pouring seats and different types of foams used in motorsports. Well worth the read if you haven't perused it yet.
    Seat Insert Pour Material and Technique

It may not be the case here, but I don't like the idea of using so much foam in ways that it lessens the contaminant of the seat (depends on the seat/style). If that's a factor, I think it's time to adjust the seat position. I'm also not a fan of sliders for various reasons, mostly I don't trust they're up to the task.

The solutions proposed here sound good. It often helps to mock up with scrap pieces of foam. Be sure to check belt geometry after the changes, and modify anchor points if necessary.
    "occasional agricultural adventures" that make laugh really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    To get lower in the car, I usually remove the OEM padding from FIA seats. I bought some 1/2" and 3/8" thick sheets of memory foam off Amazon. Just enough to take the edge off.
    you must be tall.. I get the getting low for center of gravity, but I want to see a little more, no?

thank you for the responses, yes I want to ditch the rails. they move way too much for my liking also.

+ Reply to Thread