+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GraemeD

Thread: 2" full length shoulder belts?

Liked
    66 times

Default 2" full length shoulder belts?

For HNR use only, what do you think about 2" shoulder belts?
    https://www.sabeltamerica.com/produc...cca622-formula

I don't see why it wouldn't be just as good as a hybrid 2"/3" shoulder belt. As a chain is only as strong as the weakest link. They are FIA 8853-2016 certified. I haven't read the FIA document, as I am sure it's a little dry.

My current 3" shoulder belts get caught on the wings of my REV lite HNR when trying to exit quickly. The adjuster jams and the belts must be lifted clear. Maybe these 2" adjusters will pass through without getting caught.
    Easy adjustment and tightening is a must for my one man operation.

Liked
    1495 times

Quote Originally Posted by GraemeD View Post
    For HNR use only, what do you think about 2" shoulder belts?
    https://www.sabeltamerica.com/produc...cca622-formula

I don't see why it wouldn't be just as good as a hybrid 2"/3" shoulder belt. As a chain is only as strong as the weakest link. They are FIA 8853-2016 certified. I haven't read the FIA document, as I am sure it's a little dry.

My current 3" shoulder belts get caught on the wings of my REV lite HNR when trying to exit quickly. The adjuster jams and the belts must be lifted clear. Maybe these 2" adjusters will pass through without getting caught.
    Easy adjustment and tightening is a must for my one man operation.
    I suspect the idea is to spread the load, not a strength thing. If you don't have to worry about rules, I'd try the 2". Or just not worry about it.

Liked
    813 times

I use a Rev Lite with Schroth hydrid 2/3 belts. The 2 belts work LOTS better with the HNR. I still flip the RVM towards myself to see while I belt myself in.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    66 times

Force, You are probably right, about the 2" upper belt. It seems the Lite has a nice guide that keeps the 3" belt tightly inside it and keeps the belt from riding out of the HNR, and thus won't alloy the adjuster to ride up and over it, if the belt was not held so tight, it would pop over.

IMG_4853.JPG

My belts expire in 2018, so I think I will get a full 2" set in 12 months, there might be a bigger selection by then.

For those interested,
    It seems that FIA 8853-2016 is the latest standard for belts and has a phase in time line, Schoth has a really nice summary here
    Force McCocken likes this.

Liked
    813 times

I haven't had the 2" belts on mine slip over, but I didn't realize you were in an open cockpit until I saw your avatar after I posted. The RVM bit is moot for you, I suppose.

Is the recline of your seat >20*? I've only seen a Radical in person a handful of times, never took note of that before. I wouldn't fear 2" belts if they were to latest FIA spec. I think they are more comfortable, but there is a certain reassurance of the 3" versions across my lap.

Thanks for link on the testing procedures. Those are substantial increases, and I am going to be in the market for a new harness this season or next as well.
    Last edited by Force McCocken; 01-14-2018 at 10:44 AM.
    Yer pal,
    Force

+ Reply to Thread