+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Force McCocken
  • 1 Post By ucfbrett

Thread: Thoughts on LMS?

Liked
    760 times

Default Thoughts on Charlotte Motor Speedway?

I was invited to a private event at LMS. It's a bit spendy, but the proposition is intriguing. Begins at 1pm, runs until 10pm (under lights). Seems like a little too open for my n/a 1.6 Miata. Just curious if anyone here has run this config there. I think at the entry fee, I may just save it for a weekend at VIR.

16252207_737613776394733_5028300333267187574_o.jpg
    Last edited by Force McCocken; 07-31-2017 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Track name correction
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    1433 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    I was invited to a private event at LMS. It's a bit spendy, but the proposition is intriguing. Begins at 1pm, runs until 10pm (under lights). Seems like a little too open for my n/a 1.6 Miata. Just curious if anyone here has run this config there. I think at the entry fee, I may just save it for a weekend at VIR.

Attachment 10668
    Charlotte or Louisville?

Do it once for the ****s and giggles of running a nascar track under the lights.

Liked
    760 times

Lowes/Charlotte. I thought the experience would be neat, especially under the lights, but I've already driven MIS. That banking is bonkers and the width feels like you could run Miatas 5 wide there.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    2283 times

That looks like the one of the most fun rovals in the U.S.

OJR
    Liked
    102 times

I've only ran it on iRacing. At least I think it was that config. Infield seemed fun.
    Just a guy racing stuff. #GetSickTour
    Facebook Instagram

Liked
    1557 times

I would do it. I have raced 4 rovals. Indy later in the year will be 5. So far Each one is different with their own charm. Varied banking relative to your horsepower makes a huge difference in my fun. Daytona while iconic was a bore in my restricted 350rwhp vette because once you got on a straight or bank it was wide open throttle with not a hint of fear something bad would happen...i.e. severely horsepower limited. Any time I was going to make was going to be in the infield and bustop. T1 at daytona was nothing special. T1 at Homestead was a real mind !uck where I kept going faster never having an "ah ha" moment. Driving a new track is always fun. Go for it!

Liked
    760 times

I did an HPDE at Charlotte this past Saturday. It was a lot of fun in a unique way, even in my 1.6 Miata. The weather was very good, upper eighties but not as humid as I was expecting. We had a healthy breeze all day and the temps dropped nicely into the mid seventies as the sun went down.

The infield was more technical than I was expecting, not as flat either. It has enough elevation that when coupled with the barriers, you definitely need to keep your eyes up for traffic and flags. The infield tarmac is smooth as glass and cambered nicely! In my car with a 4.3 Torsen, I was able to hustle through in 3-4th gear and using engine braking to slow myself down. I was able to catch most of the cars that flat out blew my doors off on the oval section. At night, those barriers and elevation changes kind of mess with my focus as I had to pick up new visual references under the artificial lighting.

The oval section, well, it was more fun than I thought it would be and gave me a lot more respect for the NASCAR drivers. It undulates and is bumpier than I imagined. I've been on Autoclub and MIS at speed, but Charlotte makes you pay closer attention, especially entering the oval's turn 3. It was a little surreal shifting at 7200 RPMs to 5th gear while lining up the groove into that T3, diving near the apron in T4 while looking through the dog leg at the start/finish flagging platform at 115mph. I was braking later into the infield entrance than most cars and making it look easy. There is little room for runoff, as the walls are close and are either concrete or tires.

I was readjusting through out the day and careful not to do too much as the sun went down and the track cooled. Oval T4 goes into the shade first, so I had to make sure the grip was the same before crashing the bottom line like I did during the day. It was a lot of fun for the experience. I like driving the other tracks around Atlanta more, but I still really enjoyed this.

The facilities are nice. I shared a garage slot with another Miata and we had access to the media center to cool off or use the restrooms. The track staff and corner workers were friendly and great. I got a lot of thumbs up from them as I'm sure it was amusing to watch my little blue car stick its nose in some Corvette and Challenger packs in the infield. The night sessions amplified the sense of raw speed as the lights flash by. I would do it again. This event had 3 run groups, no novices, so I had 8 20 minute sessions. I drove in 7.

The car held up great. I only replaced 8oz of motor oil during all that time, including the drive from ATL to CLT. We sat for one hour in on I 85 in South Carolina because of an accident. The drive home Sunday was an easy 4 hour drive. My Monoprice video cam wasn't working, unfortunately, it would connect to my phone and would shut off soon after I got underway. Still, others at the event posted some great videos:

Last edited by Force McCocken; 08-01-2017 at 12:38 PM.
    robburgoon likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    760 times

A few more for good measure:

Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    2283 times

I would love to run at Charlotte under the lights. Looks like huge fun! Love the mariner blue.

Liked
    760 times

Thank so for the compliment! I have wanted to drive CMS since we moved there in '03. We lived on the east side, near the university, and the two NASCAR events there annually made it bonkers (traffic and tourists). We moved to the northwest side, near Lake Norman soon after, then to SOCAL.

I have owned that car since '00, with a short break from it in '13 when I sold it to a close friend. He knew I would eventually come to my senses, and I did in '15 when he sold it back to me.

That car and I have driven many tracks and and many states together. Charlotte is #14 or 15 on that list.
    Yer pal,
    Force

+ Reply to Thread