+ Reply to Thread

Thread: speedtrialusa.com 7-10/11 at willow springs

Liked
    2 times

Default speedtrialusa.com 7-10/11 at willow springs

I'll be there instructing, anyone else wants to sweat there butts off. I won't be running much cause i will be helping out with the beginners.

There will be drag racing 7-9/10 from 6pm to 10pm. They have a tree, timers and slips. It is only 1000'. The start is from pit in to the start finish. I will be running here as long as i'm not to tired.
    racebronco2 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Liked
    0 times

wish i could attend this event. i'd be one of the beginners. but my car is in the shop for repairs. have fun in the sun though!

Liked
    103 times

ill email maddog and tell him i can instruct sunday

Liked
    1467 times

Sorry, I'll be at Laguna Seca with SV running S2K Challenge and watching Tesla's overheat (batteries).
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    370 times

Is this Streets of Willow or Willow Springs?

Liked
    142 times

It's the big track.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    25 times

Too bad we are running Chump Cars at Cal Speedway
    Last edited by ELO168; 07-04-2010 at 12:02 PM.

Liked
    39 times

I'll be there on the 11th.

Liked
    4 times

To all that run regularly with STUSA, can you comment on their record in recent time. I ran with them once back in 2002 with my wife (her first time). At that event at the end of the day, they opened up to everyone without taking the last run group (the beginners) off the track. It is still the single most unsafe event I've witnessed in all my track days over the years. I have never run with them since. Is their regard for safety better these days?

Liked
    72 times

I had never been to a stusa event. Yesterday was my first. I was there sorting a Toyota supra for someone yesterday. From what i can tell, with no notice, they changed the track support to test day support instead of traditional race day or track day support. This means no corner workers except at start finish. This would have been fine, except they then combined the advanced group with the intermediate one from the beginning of the day. So you had guys who had very interesting interpretations of the line, folks that thought they were doing you a favor by pulling off line at the last moment in turn 8 to let you go by while touching the brakes,etc. Big speed differentials with people who didn't know how to be passed. They left it up to the drivers to police on track issues. I guess you cant blame an organization for having slow people in fast cars show up, but I would say that if you are experienced and expect a high quality of drivers and lap times around you, this might not be the place.

It can be difficult to put a quality event on with low attendance when you have to pay for support, etc. So i can sympathize.

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    To all that run regularly with STUSA, can you comment on their record in recent time. I ran with them once back in 2002 with my wife (her first time). At that event at the end of the day, they opened up to everyone without taking the last run group (the beginners) off the track. It is still the single most unsafe event I've witnessed in all my track days over the years. I have never run with them since. Is their regard for safety better these days?
    I have been instructing with speedtrialusa for about 4 years. I heard many years ago they did have a problem as you describe. That's why they now have a lead instructor, mike peters. I don't know how long mike has been with them.

There is not one group that has a perfect event.

I too was surprised about having no corner workers, we are taking for granted that it was a cost issue but it could've been a scheduling problem.

There were a few problems but nothing out of the ordinary.

On a positive note, the participants had plenty of track time, on saturday they had 7 or 8 run sessions with a 1 hour lunch. Today (sunday) after 2pm they had open session in which you could get 2 more hours of track time. They made sure the sessions were only 20 minutes but you could just grid up right away again. After 3pm sometimes there were only 2-4 cars on track.

Liked
    39 times

This was my first time running with STUSA.

The lack of corner workers was a bit eerie, but totally understandable given the low attendance. However, I feel that this wasn't a huge issue, as there weren't very many cars on track at any given time. I had more clean laps today than I'd ever dreamed of.

As for concerns of "combining" everyone at the end of the day, it is no different from SV opening up the beginner group to intermediate/advanced drivers towards the afternoon when the beginner group begins to thin out.

Some suggestions I'd have to STUSA would be to have a download after the first two sessions or so, even for the intermediate and advanced group, to address any concerns, similar to SV. I believe this would have solved the problem of people going off line, not letting people by, etc.

And yes, there was a HUGE disparity in speeds in the combined intermediate/advanced group. However, the impact of this was minimized by the sheer lack of cars on track.

Overall, I had a very positive experience.

Note to self: flying off track at turn 9 = VERY dusty car.

+ Reply to Thread