13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    141 times

why do you need the aero bits at all? KISS just two more things to mange not to break on the trailer (dolly for me), at home or on track. SM's do just fine without any...

Liked
    141 times

Bitterman needs to get this Maxxis tire deal out of the weeds with SV or maybe SPM could support from Nitto or BFG for each event. Free tires would bring more cars to the track....

Liked
    1478 times

Richard, if you are seriously considering joining the series (and can write the check if you bend it), you are welcome to take it out or ride with me.
    Emilio -

I am not considering joining the series. I just bought an '04 AP2 track day car and that is my focus now. I am following the SuperMiata series development because I just think it's a great thing for the many Miata drivers in California who want to do something different than race with NASA or SCCA, and the open track Miata drivers who want to go W2W racing for the first time. I congratulate you on your efforts.

I'd like to take your test-bed car out on track, but as for the offer of a ride in the passenger seat with you driving, I will decline, while reminding you of a day several years ago at SoW CCW, when I took you up on a ride in an Elise (rented by your customer, I believe), and on the first lap out, you launched the car off the Bowl and barely stopped it before hitting the barriers at the far edge of the track run-off. lol
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1932 times

I vote for the EP nose for the reasons William listed.

Liked
    2339 times

I have few suggestions:

Raise minimum weight by 50LB. Makes it much easier.
    Ban lightweight body panels. Allow only fiberglass hard top ($550). Because it is cheaper than oem
    Ban aftermarket hood.
    Bumper support must stay on (for bump drafting)
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 09-12-2013 at 07:06 PM.
    Red_5 likes this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2471 times

Quote Originally Posted by granth View Post
    Bitterman needs to get this Maxxis tire deal out of the weeds with SV or maybe SPM could support from Nitto or BFG for each event. Free tires would bring more cars to the track....
    no one is going to give us free tires so you can forget that. What I hope to be able to organize is discounted tires at the very least. We have strong connections with three different tire companies now . The question is which will be the least expensive overall for the racers. That's all I care about.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    2339 times

why do you need the aero bits at all? KISS just two more things to mange not to break on the trailer (dolly for me), at home or on track. SM's do just fine without any...

1. Looks good
    2. Do help speed for very little fixed and variable cost.
    3. Rear spoiler is install and forget.
    4. Front ep dam is extremely easy to take off and on. And cheap to replace
    5. Did I mention they are cheap ?
    6. Speed is important. It is related to cost. Lets say aero can improve lap time by 1 second. That means we can change the engine rule to make say 8whp less and still maintain the same lap time. 8 lower whp = lower cost. So aero bits to lower cost
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 09-12-2013 at 07:04 PM.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2471 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    I have few suggestions:

Raise minimum weight by 50LB. Makes it much easier.
    Ban lightweight body panels. Allow only fiberglass hard top ($550)
    Ban aftermarket hood.
    you think 2250 will be difficult for most people? I agree no lightweight body panels but I think we should allow fiberglass trunks because they are cheap and already have Ducktails built in. almost everyone has to add significant ballast to reach 2400 so I'm thinking 2250 should be easy to meet with just a little bit of work. remember almost no one has an OEM hardtop they are all these 15-20 pound fiberglass jobs with plastic windows.

can everyone get to 2250 without having to spend a bunch of money?
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    2471 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Emilio -

I am not considering joining the series. I just bought an '04 AP2 track day car and that is my focus now. I am following the SuperMiata series development because I just think it's a great thing for the many Miata drivers in California who want to do something different than race with NASA or SCCA, and the open track Miata drivers who want to go W2W racing for the first time. I congratulate you on your efforts.

I'd like to take your test-bed car out on track, but as for the offer of a ride in the passenger seat with you driving, I will decline, while reminding you of a day several years ago at SoW CCW, when I took you up on a ride in an Elise (rented by your customer, I believe), and on the first lap out, you launched the car off the Bowl and barely stopped it before hitting the barriers at the far edge of the track run-off. lol
    that was rather exciting wasn't it?
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    141 times

1. Looks good
    2. Do help speed for very little fixed and variable cost.
    3. Rear spoiler is install and forget.
    4. Front ep dam is extremely easy to take off and on. And cheap to replace
    5. Did I mention they are cheap ?
    6. Speed is important. It is related to cost. Lets say aero can improve lap time by 1 second. That means we can change the engine rule to make say 8whp less and still maintain the same lap time. 8 lower whp = lower cost. So aero bits to lower cost
    like I said I do not want to deal with stuff hanging off my car, I want car ready to run off the trailer no remove and install front spoiler at the track and then getting the car from the street into the garage at home. Plus I now have this duck tail sticking off the trunk (18-24") and the garage door will hit it and break it not all of us have unlimited space to store race cars.

To me all that hassle is not worth a 1 second

>bellwilliam
    >Lets say aero can improve lap time by 1 second

Liked
    2471 times

like I said I do not want to deal with stuff hanging off my car, I want car ready to run off the trailer no remove and install front spoiler at the track and then getting the car from the street into the garage at home. Plus I now have this duck tail sticking off the trunk (18-24") and the garage door will hit it and break it not all of us have unlimited space to store race cars.

>bellwilliam
    >Lets say aero can improve lap time by 1 second
    EP dam is all but indestructible if built right. 100% HDM save the abs plastic you get for about $45 from Sign-Mart : Your one stop wholesale supplier of Sign supplies, Custom Signs and Sign Making Supplies in orange.
    My enclosed trailer has a flap but no beavertail and it clears. You might be the only guy who will have trouble parking the car because of a ducktail.
    I would really like a strong differentiation with dpec miata, hence the cheap DIY aero.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    2339 times

1. duck tail is attached to the trunk. (may be that should be in the rule ?)
    2. duck tail is allowed max of 10", I don't think that sticks out past the rear bumper. if it does, see #1.
    3. front EP dam is 5 bolts....

1 second is worth it. I rather the rule say a max of 132whp with aero than 140whp without aero. 132whp with aero is gonna be cheaper both in short and long runs. engine lasts longer, easier to achieve the power and so forth.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    141 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    you think 2250 will be difficult for most people? I agree no lightweight body panels but I think we should allow fiberglass trunks because they are cheap and already have Ducktails built in. almost everyone has to add significant ballast to reach 2400 so I'm thinking 2250 should be easy to meet with just a little bit of work. remember almost no one has an OEM hardtop they are all these 15-20 pound fiberglass jobs with plastic windows.

Please allow lightweight body panels and make min weight 2100, easy way to make the car faster a very low cost, just look at how much weight you can shed with the doors.

allow: hardtop, doors, trunk and hood, really makes your 140WHP feel like a lot more....

Liked
    141 times

1. duck tail is attached to the trunk. (may be that should be in the rule ?)
    2. duck tail is allowed max of 10", I don't think that sticks out past the rear bumper. if it does, see #1.
    3. front EP dam is 5 bolts....

1 second is worth it. I rather the rule say a max of 132whp with aero than 140whp without aero. 132whp with aero is gonna be cheaper both in short and long runs. engine lasts longer, easier to achieve the power and so forth.
    great 132 with aero 140 without, 5 bolts too many plus I have find some place to haul the thing to and from the track, limited space in the minivan with all the tires and tools needed for the weekend...

Liked
    1478 times

that was rather exciting wasn't it?
    All these years I just thought you made a mistake. Now I'm thinking it was intentional . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1932 times

Honestly, getting a car to 2100 Lbs. (no driver or gas) is not too difficult and requires exactly 0 aftermarket body panels.
    This can be done with nothing more than some quality time with a grinder and unbolting anything that is not required.
    Creampuff got to 1950 with all the factory sheet metal, OEM battery, full factory wiring harness but no windshield (33 Lbs with the frame) or top (say ~7-8 Lbs.).

Liked
    2339 times

Nemo added 130LB ballast (to meet PTE 2,400LB) without fancy lightweight aero bits. but it has no headlights. it does have bumper supports. BUT I weight only 170LB fully dressed. which means Nemo is 2,100LB without a driver. Nemo don't have any more easy weights to strip out.

an average 200LB (add 10LB for helmet, suit) American male in Nemo will weigh 2,310LB. that's why I recommended 2,300LB minimum comp weight.

most of the time I also adds cool suit (roughly 20LB).
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2339 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Honestly, getting a car to 2100 Lbs. (no driver or gas) is not too difficult
    you are thinking yourself....
    think **cough**cough**, that's 2,330LB comp weight...

add 20LB for cool suit (which will be needed 80% of the races). that's 100LB over for at least 3-4 possible candidates I know of.....
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 09-12-2013 at 07:55 PM.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1932 times

Not sure I understood what you're saying.
    Care to explain?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 18 24 ... LastLast