+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 17 23 ... LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: SoCal SuperMiata thread

Liked
    133 times

I will be at both days of the SMC at BRP to get pictures and a few interviews. I think now that this is taking off we need a grip of content for the FB page and the site. I want to try and provide coverage with race recaps in a some what universal format.
    Last edited by ebruner; 09-11-2013 at 01:23 PM.
    tlee1234 likes this.

Liked
    35 times

Having skimmed through this thread, I am very interested in how this will develop. I think it's a fantastic idea to keep things simple, i.e. keep big budgets from winning, and get down to good ole' fashion racing with an even playing field. I'll be at the next few MC events so I am excited to see how everything goes!

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1932 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    I'll leave it up to you guys. The 4.77 and 4.875 are deifinitely an advantage but expensive. Thus, the ban. If everyone wants FD ratios free, I'll do it. I'm just trying to keep costs down.
    5-6 speed, same thing. At this power level the 5 speeds last as long as 6 speeds but cost 1/4 as much. The 6 spd is worth up to 1s on some tracks over a 5 spd so again, it becomes necessary to be competitive.
    I have a 4.77 R&P sitting here that I picked for $120 shipped (Kia Sportage front diff, can't remember year range, mine was 2001).
    I agree with you about maintaining costs but think that for the sake of easy cross over for guys that run with NASA final drive needs to stay free.
    On the same token, the use of a fancy diff can be limited to users of 5 speed trans only, so you can either use a 5 speed plus whatever diff you want (OSG too) or a 6 speed and you must use an OEM diff with a ratio that was available in a USDM Miata - 3.9 / 4.1 / 4.3 .
    For NASA PT cross overs both options are +3.

The restrictors will go a long way towards maintaining parity but the closer the cars are in specification, the closer the racing is.
    That's what it's all about, and having more cars mean also more people to race, which is why the rules should be designed to allow easy cross over.
    This also brings me to B.1 - "1) Coilovers with a maximum of 1 damping adjustment allowed", I think this needs to be changed to a DA but no remote reservoir, same like PT (allowed as a +3 mod).

I suggest to change C.2 to allow a max of 48" width.
    It won't change a thing in terms of costs and it'll be easier in terms of material purchase and for DIYer to work with because 48" is standard width of many materials that come in sheet form that are often used.

C.4 should specify that rear windows must be sealed with no holes.
    Holes may be covered with tape for compliance.

Another note on the subject of cross overs, I mentioned this to E over the phone, how SuperMiata can be a good cross over for SM drivers to, having the incentive to shed weight off their cars and just ballast it while racing in SM.
    Then come to SPM with the ballast removed and have a quicker car that can be competitive with just an extra set of wheels and tires.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2471 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I have a 4.77 R&P sitting here that I picked for $120 shipped (Kia Sportage front diff, can't remember year range, mine was 2001).
    I agree with you about maintaining costs but think that for the sake of easy cross over for guys that run with NASA final drive needs to stay free.
    On the same token, the use of a fancy diff can be limited to users of 5 speed trans only, so you can either use a 5 speed plus whatever diff you want (OSG too) or a 6 speed and you must use an OEM diff with a ratio that was available in a USDM Miata - 3.9 / 4.1 / 4.3 .
    For NASA PT cross overs both options are +3.

That's what it's all about, and having more cars mean also more people to race, which is why the rules should be designed to allow easy cross over.
    This also brings me to B.1 - "1) Coilovers with a maximum of 1 damping adjustment allowed", I think this needs to be changed to a DA but no remote reservoir, same like PT (allowed as a +3 mod).

I suggest to change C.2 to allow a max of 48" width.
    It won't change a thing in terms of costs and it'll be easier in terms of material purchase and for DIYer to work with because 48" is standard width of many materials that come in sheet form that are often used.

C.4 should specify that rear windows must be sealed with no holes.
    Holes may be covered with tape for compliance.

Another note on the subject of cross overs, I mentioned this to E over the phone, how SuperMiata can be a good cross over for SM drivers to, having the incentive to shed weight off their cars and just ballast it while racing in SM.
    Then come to SPM with the ballast removed and have a quicker car that can be competitive with just an extra set of wheels and tires.
    The FD and trans combos might works solely based on PT points. Again, we will have to poll everyone involved.

Trunk lid is about 40". Building a spoiler wider than that is more difficult and complex. Trunklid width is just fine.

The issue with allowing DA shocks is that it is an advantage and costs more. That you are the only one with DA's is unfortunate. Singles are plenty and good entry level kits can be had for $1100.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    1932 times

That you are the only one with DA's is unfortunate.
    Haha, nice try, but even according to my own suggestion my suspension is still going to be illegal since it does have remote reservoirs.

All I'm saying is that what is legal for someone that runs in PT as +3 should be legal for SPM... I'd hate to turn someone away while allowing other guys that are racing him in the same class at NASA to race, they all built their cars to the same set of rules.
    Easy cross over is key IMO.
    Last edited by Blackbird; 09-12-2013 at 09:34 AM.

Liked
    716 times

Easy cross over is key IMO.
    This.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    1932 times

Right.
    So with this in mind, may I suggest having in addition to the SPM rules which look a bit like a faster version of SM, an easy cross over formula for competitors of other series?
    What I'm thinking is something like these examples -
    SCCA SM - engine restrictor may be removed, drivetrain and suspension must be SM legal, minimum weight may be dropped to 2xxx, must use SPM spec tires, no body or aero mods allowed (super easy cross over, take restrictor and ballast off, bolt on wheels, go race).
    NASA PTD - must be raced in PTD spec and show proof of comp form and points, must use 205/50 NT01, ballast the car to a target pwr/wt of XX.xx (again, easy cross over, doesn't matter what you have, supercharger, wings etc.. you'll be running the smaller tires and be heavier than everyone else)

Liked
    2471 times

Right.
    So with this in mind, may I suggest having in addition to the SPM rules which look a bit like a faster version of SM, an easy cross over formula for competitors of other series?
    What I'm thinking is something like these examples -
    SCCA SM - engine restrictor may be removed, drivetrain and suspension must be SM legal, minimum weight may be dropped to 2xxx, must use SPM spec tires, no body or aero mods allowed (super easy cross over, take restrictor and ballast off, bolt on wheels, go race).
    NASA PTD - must be raced in PTD spec and show proof of comp form and points, must use 205/50 NT01, ballast the car to a target pwr/wt of XX.xx (again, easy cross over, doesn't matter what you have, supercharger, wings etc.. you'll be running the smaller tires and be heavier than everyone else)
    Makes sense. That's sort of what we planned. Clear and concise paths to crossover.
    Red_5 likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    34 times

(again, easy cross over, doesn't matter what you have, supercharger, wings etc.. you'll be running the smaller tires and be heavier than everyone else)
    I like this part since I currently have one and would love to run with you guys when the car meets all the safety regs (almost there) but would need to mess with either reducing power or adding weight as necessary which I'm willing to do.

Ryan is another person that comes to mind.

Liked
    716 times

Makes sense. That's sort of what we planned. Clear and concise paths to crossover.
    This I like. Especially for the first year I really don't want to swap out my engine since my engine was built more for longevity than for power and many are making more power with a standalone and junkyard motor than my blueprinted motor.

Liked
    2471 times

We're working to establish a time frame and performance envelope where non-compliant cars can also run with us just for fun, but no points or prizes. At some point in 2014, we close that door and the non-compliant cars will be given their own start wave behind us.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    2281 times

If only there were a spec class in which to race Miatas.

Liked
    2471 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    If only there were a spec class in which to race Miatas.
    ..in which one could build a front running car for $12k
    .. where contact is the exception, not the norm
    .. where the incentive to cheat is all but eliminated
    ..where the top drivers actively coach the new drivers
    ..where the track time/$ ratio is almost double that of club racing

If only
    Red_5, bawareca and Blackbird like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    2281 times

Thus the

Liked
    716 times

..in which one could build a front running car for $12k
    .. where contact is the exception, not the norm
    .. where the incentive to cheat is all but eliminated
    ..where the top drivers actively coach the new drivers
    ..where the track time/$ ratio is almost double that of club racing

If only
    Lets not forget spec tires.

Liked
    34 times

We're working to establish a time frame and performance envelope where non-compliant cars can also run with us just for fun, but no points or prizes. At some point in 2014, we close that door and the non-compliant cars will be given their own start wave behind us.
    This is great. My motor should be well blown up by then and ready for a compliant setup.

Liked
    2471 times

Getting this series off the ground with decent field sizes means initially being a bit lenient with spec compliance. Long term, there needs to be a spec for cars to stick to so
    all we have to do to match car/driver combos is hand out restrictors. The spec is what the lowest cost to build from scratch.

What we will do is require any non compliant cars to present a current log book and current annual tech sticker from whatever other series they run. These non compliant cars
    are not eligible for prizes or points until they are compliant. If the car being entered has no current annual tech/logbook from another series, it gets to run as is for one race. Next race it has to be compliant.

Virtually every car that will be at BRP is non compliant in one way or another. The closest will be Super. Not seam welded, no carbon bits. No ABS. We'll dyno it next week to exactly 140whp on pump gas, and have it at 2250# comp weight = 16.07 lbs/hp. It will have a 4.3 Torsen, 5 speed, 225/45 NT01's, EP dam and duck tail. The only funky bit is the blueprinted (but OEM spec) long block. That's why we'll detune to 140whp on the nose. Any driver entered in the race is free to either get a ride or take it out for a few laps. This becomes the "control" car until more cars are matched to it.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    1478 times

Any driver entered in the race is free to . . . take it out for a few laps.
    Nice!
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2471 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Nice!
    Richard, if you are seriously considering joining the series (and can write the check if you bend it), you are welcome to take it out or ride with me. Super was set up so drivers of all sizes could be comfy and safe.

We gave the old "Rental" the name Super because it was always intended to be the prototype build for the series. It morphed into a much more expensive PTE build along the way. John is now switching everything over
    to SPM spec. Really looking forward to driving it.

Just to throw it out there, these pics are of the FRP air dams I designed for the series a few years ago. We made a bunch. They're $220, very light, flexible and easy to mount.
    I'd sell them at cost to anyone running SPM though.
    Would everyone rather stick to the HDM EP style air dam and duck tail or something more like this air dam/spoiler? I'll skip the rear wing simply because it costs $700. Ducktail can be built for about $80.

supermiata_949racing_800.jpg
    na_dam_3_1024.jpg
    bawareca likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    2339 times

I prefer EP dam

1. Cheap
    2. Easy to take on and off for trailering
    3. Strong. They last and can be repaired easily with zip ties.
    4. Aerodynamically they work
    Blackbird likes this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 17 23 ... LastLast