+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 8 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: SoCal SuperMiata thread

Liked
    91 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    949 doesn't rent anymore? Ah man. OK, I've resisted facebook for so long. I suppose I have no choice but to make one now.
    I'll have a dedicated SPM rental available at most events this year. Hope is not lost
    SDSUsnowboards and Blackbird like this.
    Theseus: '94 Miata, NASA SU/TTU (in progress)
    Rover: '90 Miata, NASA PTE/E3

OJR
    Liked
    102 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    It's being dubbed Junior because it's our first 1.6 build of any kind.
    I reject that name.

-Junior
    bellwilliam and emilio700 like this.
    Just a guy racing stuff. #GetSickTour
    Facebook Instagram

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2471 times

Quote Originally Posted by OJR View Post
    I reject that name.

-Junior
    Gonna put a picture of you on the hood with eagles, unicorns, motocross bikes and a Rotrex behind you.
    comradefks likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    743 times

You have a PM sir.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    2471 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    You have a PM sir.
    Hope that's for Andrew. I disable PM's. I'm an email guy.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    112 times

You guys that are still on the fence about joining in, you are missing out. Some of my W2W action from Buttonwillow last weekend.

Super Sprint #1:
    Started P3, fell to P4 after Alex got it after my braking error at Off-Ramp. Next lap, retook P3. Half lap later, after William bobbles Sunset, a close fight until the end for P2.

Super Sprint #2:
    Started P2, close fight (again) with William for all 4 laps. On the final lap, one hole opened up at Sweeper where I finally capitalized and held on for the win.

Driving to the limit is my goal.
    Winning with Team 949 Racing is merely the result.
    2013 NASA TTD National Champion
    NASA 25 Hours of Thunderhill Winner: 2011 E2 Class & 2012 E1 Class.
    Multiple wins in NASA PT and WERC series, with many more to come.

Cheer for us during races throughout the year and like us on Facebook and Twitter!

"Drive well and have fun." Drive W2W in the SuperMiata Race Series. Also, see me in action on YouTube.

Liked
    112 times

Race #3:

After a 10-minute red flag during Lap 1, we restarted the race. I started near the back per SuperMiata race format (finishing positions from the previous race, Race 2, will be reversed for the next race, this one).

Tactical errors caused me to lose both William and Emilio to get to the front, but I eventually broke through the slower cars. Then again, it ended up being a dogfight with William, but this time, he ends up ahead. I finished 3rd, William 2nd, Emilio 1st.

Cheer for us during races throughout the year and like us on Facebook and Twitter!

"Drive well and have fun." Drive W2W in the SuperMiata Race Series. Also, see me in action on YouTube.

Liked
    34 times

Both. You need a tuner that can fab or work with restrictors. SPM isn't really set up for non-SPM spec cars. Work to get it closer to SPM performance envelope and you can start in the front wave with SPM's. If not, you start separate from us and just sorta HPDE it on your own. I personally wouldn't have much fun running with us unless the car has the exact same performance potential so one can mix it up.

I think you would be better served (and save money/hassle) by renting and just leaving your heavier turbo car as is.
    So I started a conversation with Sean at 8-bit Tuning about putting in a restrictor plate and tuning the car down to SPM compliant levels. Looks like it might be the quickest way to go and let me keep the fun of the SC motor when it's not a SPM race, kind of like many of the guys with High Power maps.

If I'm able to comply with the power regs, can that be a permanent solution for me? As in, til the motor gives out or I want to swap in an NA motor? After the modification I should meet the hp/tq requirements and be over min weight.

Liked
    2471 times

Quote Originally Posted by comradefks View Post
    So I started a conversation with Sean at 8-bit Tuning about putting in a restrictor plate and tuning the car down to SPM compliant levels. Looks like it might be the quickest way to go and let me keep the fun of the SC motor when it's not a SPM race, kind of like many of the guys with High Power maps.

If I'm able to comply with the power regs, can that be a permanent solution for me? As in, til the motor gives out or I want to swap in an NA motor? After the modification I should meet the hp/tq requirements and be over min weight.
    Probably not. I'd have to see the car. Problem with "equalized" cars is that they never are. You'll have a teeny bit more torque and less top end, or it will put down power worse, better.. something. You can potentially run the same lap times but be impossible to race with due to difference in speed at different points on the track.

As a mission statement for SPM, we want the cars to all have the same envelope and characteristics, not just the same lap times. Bottom line is, if you want to race in any series, be it NASA, SCCA, BMWCCA, SPM, you have to comply with a rule set.
    Like Moti and Ed though, you're free to mix it up without scoring points.
    Red_5 and Deepdish like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    716 times

I was trying to talk Ed into selling his car and buying a SPM legal car but didn't have much luck.

Liked
    2471 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    I was trying to talk Ed into selling his car and buying a SPM legal car but didn't have much luck.
    We can hire someone to crash his NC out of comission. Burgoon maybe.
    albertg likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    112 times

Monty is up for sale in case anybody wants a turn-key SPM.

Liked
    34 times

[/QUOTE]
    Probably not. I'd have to see the car. Problem with "equalized" cars is that they never are. You'll have a teeny bit more torque and less top end, or it will put down power worse, better.. something. You can potentially run the same lap times but be impossible to race with due to difference in speed at different points on the track.

As a mission statement for SPM, we want the cars to all have the same envelope and characteristics, not just the same lap times. Bottom line is, if you want to race in any series, be it NASA, SCCA, BMWCCA, SPM, you have to comply with a rule set.
    Like Moti and Ed though, you're free to mix it up without scoring points.[/QUOTE]

Emilio, Thank you for the clear stance. That is what I wanted to get straight before I throw money at the changes. I will plan on joining in without points for now and figure out the rest when the time comes.
    Red_5 likes this.

Liked
    1433 times

Crash who now?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1932 times

Anthony has tried without much success.
    Mikhail, you missed the convo we had about it in the WSIR MC event, SPM is basically a spec class.

Liked
    2471 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    .. SPM is basically a spec class.
    Nope.

A spec class is "you buy this part from selected vendors" as in SRF or MX5 cup sealed engines. SuperMiata is far from a spec class.

We simply place a performance cap on all the cars and limit the number of ways they can meet that cap. So a junkyard NA8 with header burning E85 can have the exact same performance profile as a blueprinted NB1 burning pump gas with the stock header. Car can run a nearly limitless selection of single or non adjustable dampers, springs and one piece sway bars. ECU - free. Header - free. Intake - free.

My guess is that your personal perspective is skewed from your roofless, 6 speed, remote reservoir damped and winged car not being deemed non eligible to score points despite running similar lap times. I'm pretty sure we could find Honda Civic's to run the same lap times, doesn't mean they'll be eligible in SuperMiata.

It's funny how so many drivers with heavily modified cars have gravitated towards SPM asking to be give a correction factor so they can compete. My guess is those same drivers would not even consider asking SCCA or NASA for a correction factor to run Spec Miata. There have been probably 15 different drivers contact me in private emails, phone as well as facebook and this thread, asking to bring their turbo'd, V8 swapped (really!), supercharged, roofless, or otherwise heavily modified Miatas into SuperMiata and run for the championship.

I like the balance we have struck. A simple formula that is as cheap to build as possible and have nearly identical performance envelopes on the same spec tire.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1932 times

Sounds like you took offense from me saying it's a spec class, and I am not entirely sure why, as it was not my intention at all to offend you or anyone else competing in SPM.
    While the engines are not sealed spec engines (they are not sealed spec in SM either), they have a power cap and power curve that they have to meet, so arguably even more spec like than SM.
    All cars have to meet the same spec weight, unlike classes that rely on power to weight ratios to even out the competition.
    You can use different combination of suspension pieces while spec classes generally have a list of part numbers that need to be used (subsequently, people cheat where they can..), so that's different.
    Aero package is not specified but defined enough that all cars will end up roughly the same.

The big thing that I took from our convo at WSIR was when you said that you want SPM to be running on track exactly like SM in the sense of cars running same speed everywhere, meaning to not try and attempt any type of speed matching between cars that do not follow the specifications of the class.

Not sure how my car got into your reply, I never meant to build it to any spec or class.

Liked
    2471 times

Default Rental rates for SuperMiata

To make things simpler, we sort of standardized rental rates from all the local teams/shops that have them available. Contact the teams directly for more info. (949 Racing doesn't offer rentals)

Race Car Rentals | SuperMiata – Miata Challenge
    bellwilliam likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    34 times

So I ran with the SPM rear spoiler for the first time at SOW and I can't say that it seemed to make much of a difference. What speeds are you guys seeing a difference in grip at? Maybe SOW is just too slow.

I changed the angle a couple of times and couldn't really tell if there was a measurable difference in performance. Just trying to understand how to use the tool going forward. Thanks guys.

Liked
    2471 times

Quote Originally Posted by comradefks View Post
    So I ran with the SPM rear spoiler for the first time at SOW and I can't say that it seemed to make much of a difference. What speeds are you guys seeing a difference in grip at? Maybe SOW is just too slow.

I changed the angle a couple of times and couldn't really tell if there was a measurable difference in performance. Just trying to understand how to use the tool going forward. Thanks guys.
    Keep making it steeper until your car starts to understeer or you can't keep up with the other guys in your class on the long straights.
    That is all there is to it. Don't over think it
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 8 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast