Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Getting started in SuperMiata

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2267 times

Default Getting started in SuperMiata

SPM with 2015 spec 225/45/15 RC-1's mounted up
    mrls_2014_race_banner2.jpg091915_brp13cw_spm_1024.jpg

As with any new class, it starts with reading the rules (only about 3 pages long). Please do not skip this step hoping for this thread to be all inclusive. Consider this a FAQ, most of which are answered when you read the rules
    SuperMiata Rules & Regulations

More reading:
    Main thread for SPM events on trackhq SoCal SuperMiata thread
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/SupermiataRacing

Chassis setup guideline: Miata Race alignment
    Using a tire pyrometer-949 Racing

Jump in with both feet
    Once you decide to take the plunge and fully convert, you will enjoy a car that's faster, less expensive to run at the front, more predictable handling and arguably, cooler looking
    Much of what is listed below is only suggested to make your Miata last even longer and be cheaper to run. Better cooling, better brakes, more durable engine, etc.

Which year Miata for SPM?
    We equalize the different years by running the same basic engine, weight and aerodynamics. For example, the current points leader is a '91 1.6 chassis with an '03 NB2 engine. The front air dam and rear duck tail cancel out any aero drag/downforce differences between the NA and NB. So if you build a SuperMiata, it doesn't matter which year you start with.

For reference:
    NA6 chassis 89-93 1.6L
    NA8 chassis 94-97 1.8L
    NB1 chassis 99-00 1.8L BP4W head
    NB2 chassis 01-05 1.8L BP6D "VVT" head

All the hamsters
    Power is capped at 140whp, torque at 132 lbs max on a Dynojet, SAE corrected. We allow an aftermarket header, cold air intake and programmable ECU and also E85 fuel if so desired. Commonly referred to as I/H/E + ECU (Intake/Header/Exhaust). These bits usually add 10-20whp to a Spec Miata engine. A reasonably healthy junkyard NB engine will make 140whp on pump gas with these parts. Thus, no need to build a specific race motor. The 1.6L from the 89-93 just won't make enough power to be competitive. You can legally run one but at 2300lbs, you'll never be able to run at the front no matter how well you drive. If you have a recently rebuilt NA8 engine with no more than 3% leakdown and above 190psi in all cylinders, you can run E85 fuel and meet the power cap of 140whp, but just barely. We recommend getting a freshly OEM rebuilt NB1 or NB2 engine. Run on E85, you have the option of tuning a second ECU map for as, much as 160whp running our Miata Challenge TT series which has no power caps. Having extra power available is handy after say 8 months of racing when you car might be down 3-4whp. Simply go back to the dyno and retune a bit to bring it back to the 140whp cap. If you currently have a "pro motor", no problem.

If building a motor from scratch, you can add some forged bits as insurance against over revs. This is usually forged rods (same weight as stock), ACL race bearings, Supertech light double valve springs. These bits will let you flub a shift buzzing it to 8200 without creating an unwanted inspection port in the side of your block.

'spension
    This is a good place to start for chassis setup and alignment Miata Race alignment. The SM 700/325# kit was designed to a budget using OEM replacement shocks designed for 150# springs. Your Spec Miata Bilstein will work for starters but you can greatly improve the predictability and overall grip by replacing it with better matched components. Any good single adjustable coilover than can handle 800/500 rates is a good place to start. SM sway bar kit is close but further improvement in balance can be found by increasing front and decreasing rear bar diameters. We also allow urethane suspension bushings which improve handling precision and response, and last forever.

Drivetrain
    We only allow the OEM 5 speed from 89-05 Miata. You can run any OEM Miata rear end ratio (3.9,4.1 or 4.3) but the 4.3 works best. Only diff allowed is OEM Torsen or open. Torsen is key to good handling so you want one. This is the same basic setup as SM so no changes needed there. Clutch must be either 1.6 or 1.8 OEM size. Light flywheels allowed provided they are OEM diameter. This means you can run a lighter, less expensive 1.6 clutch/flywheel assembly on your 1.8 engine.

Aero
    The front and rear aero can be DIY built for about $200. Here is an excellent thread showing how others have built theirs. Post your DIY aero pics - Miata Turbo Forum
    You can run near the front without the aero but on the faster tracks, the simple add-ons will improve the grip and balance enough to make a difference. Plus it looks cool.

Broken down you have three basic components:

-Air dam
    This is usually a .90 ~.125 HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) sheet wrapped around the nose. Most drivers install "rivnut" or nutserts into the OEM bumper skin and simply drill holes in the skin. The hole for the radiator opening should be no less than 1/3rd of the total area of your radiator core. Don't use to fine a mesh over the opening or you'll block airflow. There is no limit to how low you can run the air dam. In practice, about 3" off the ground when parked is about as low as you can go before it self clearances under braking dive.

-Under tray
    This is usually a 1/4 to 1/2" plywood plate wedged into the subframe between the steering rack mounts and suspended below the bumper with two small steel cables. Depending on your bumper skin, you may need a simple spacer block to hold the under tray at a good height.
    The undertrays seem to work best when they meet the air dam about 2-3" up from the lower edge of the dam. The OEM under tray works fine but we find better cooling and less aero lift with a big flat plate covering everything forward of the front axle centerline.

-Rear Spoiler
    You may wonder why all the rear spoilers in SPM are clear. The better to keep an eye on all those losers behind you! We generally use .125 or .187 polycarbonate. Lexan and Makrolon are two common brands. It is important to be able to change the angle so adjustable length support rods are recommended.
    Either mcmaster-carr generic threaded rod or the nice Longacre alloy ones.

Keeping it running
    SPM allows several useful mods that will increase the reliability and longevity of the power making bits. We encourage the installation of a coolant reroute which corrects the coolant path through the engine to prevent cooking the rear cylinder like the stock system does. We also allow any oil cooler to prevent the 300+ oil temps that are typical in SM. If you want to further improve engine cooling, you can ditch the OEM deflector and undertray and replace them with your own ducting. This works to seal up all the air gaps that exist in the OEM stuff. Venting the hood is also legal and really helps bring temps down. Brake proportioning valve is legal and that fine tuning threshold brake bias helps prevent flat spots.

Wheels/tires
    Our Spec tire for 2015 is the 225/45/15 Maxxis RC-1. This inexpensive and long lasting tire when mounted on a 15x9 has about the same overall grip as a 205/50 Toyo RR mounted on a 15x7, but lasts about twice as long. One key to why we chose the RC-1, they are fast even with many heat cycles on them. No need for fresh stickers every weekend to run at the front. The 225/45 will fit onto a 7" wheel but it's pinched and will not work as well. Better on an 8" but proven fastest on a 9" wheel with about a +35 to +36 offset. We recommend rolling the front fenders (google it), rears are fine as is.

Oh yes, the racing!
    License
    Any current comp license from POC, PCA, BMWCCA, AROSC, SCCA, NASA is eligible for SPM. If you do not already have a comp license contact Aaron at Speed Ventures about getting an SV Comp license.

Race Format
    Speed Ventures is the exclusive host to all SuperMiata races. We run a 10 weekend schedule over 8 tracks. Our Miata Challenge TT series runs the same weekend so you have access to that competition in your car as well.

Chuckwalla
    Willow Springs
    Streets of Willow
    Laguna Seca
    Sonomafineoon
    Buttonwillow
    Spring Mountain
    Auto Club Speedway

This season SuperMiata will have 28 individual races. We usually have 2x 20 minute practice sessions, one 20 minute qual on Saturday. Race is two back to back standing start Super Sprints lasting about 5-6 laps each. The second race is an inverted grid with the drivers shuffling positions on the cooldown lap. Sunday is inverted grid again, two standing start SuperSprints. Does that sound like the fastest guys have to start at the back 3x during the weekend? Yup. The idea is to get even the new drivers into the mix, learning how to watch their mirrors, defend and follow the faster drivers as they come through mid race. Needless to say, we get some exciting first laps. We pride ourselves on excellent situational awareness and relative scarcity of contact. This is no mean feat when you take into consideration that every driver either passes or gets passed about 20x during a weekend. There is a lot of passing. If you think standing starts sound exciting, you are right!

Coaching
    We built a special HPDE car with full SPM running gear just for coaching. We call it the taxi and painted it yellow. It allows the driver & passenger to communicate via bluetooth headsets built into our loaner helmets. It has proven a key ingredient in getting either experienced drivers new to a track or less experienced drivers new to racing, up to speed quickly. Most of the shops with rentals or cars for sale also offer expert coaching with some of the NASA national championship wining drivers now in SPM. Beyond that, an integral part of SPM is mentoring and coaching for those new to wheel to wheel. You will never get a cold shoulder or closed door if you ask one of the front runners for tips on setup or driving. Standard for most race weekends is everyone bringing their data/video to William's RV (Race Central) to share and review. Even some very quick drivers from other series have benefited from some SPM-specific knowledge in these downloads.

SPMBBQFTW
    Saturday night we almost always have a BBQ with free beer, all sponsored by 949 Racing for all the SuperMiata drivers and crew. We encourage camping at the track. Much better bench racing around the fire and no drive back to the motel. FWIW, we simply don't allow cheap beer. It's craft beer or nothing.. What was I talking about? Oh yes, racing!

mrls_2014_group_20.jpg
    spm_brp_2014_download.jpg2013-09-21_brp_alex_sonny.jpg
    Last edited by emilio700; 09-01-2016 at 06:28 AM.
    Red_5 and JulioG like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    2184 times

more pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8702966925_9a1125bdbf_c.jpg   acs1.jpg  

acs3.jpg   img_0120.jpg  

img_3776.jpg   img_4058.jpg  

img_4064.jpg  
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    16 Cruze, free car !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    137 times

That's a great picture on pit road @Laguna, "We are the World", Young guy's, Old guy's, Hippies, Africans, Asians, Caucasians & Hispanics all ready to race....

Liked
    70 times

The best part is probably the craft beer
    -Kevin M.

2010 Subaru WRX

Liked
    1413 times

Any SPM cars to rent to try out a race weekend?

Liked
    2184 times

Yes. Either Alex Rendero or Andrew Kidd. Their rates is up on Supermiata.com

Socal Alex is cheaper. Norcal Andrew is better deal. But both have front running cars
    16 Cruze, free car !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    137 times

I also have a car to rent for Corvette drivers....
    Last edited by granth; 10-30-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Liked
    724 times

God, I need Tom to move so we can start this up out here.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    2267 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Any SPM cars to rent to try out a race weekend?
    I knew I would forgot something important in the post..
    Edited to add rental info. Most of the guys with rentals also have complete race ready cars for sale.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

LongWinded National Champ Bueller's Avatar
    Liked
    167 times

Good thread. I didnt know you guys ran (2) 5-6 lap races back to back. At some point will you guys incorporate a 30min sprint race?
    Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Liked
    2184 times

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Good thread. I didnt know you guys ran (2) 5-6 lap races back to back. At some point will you guys incorporate a 30min sprint race?
    we've ran a few events (want to say 3 weekends out of 10 ?). it is when we ran with another group. they are not comfortable with our 2 15 min race, reverse grid (between 2 back to back races) and standing starts.

but most of us really liked the 2 15 minutes race (in reality, it is more like 2 13 minutes race, because of out lap and in lap). a lots of action every lap !!

it took a few races to get all the kinks out of this format. We are all pretty comfortable with it by now. but I understand this is too complicated for a bigger organization or a multi-class races.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 10-31-2014 at 01:22 PM.
    16 Cruze, free car !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2267 times

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    The drivers unanimously prefer the two back to back standing start supersprints. You have to try the format. It's an intense 30 minutes whether you are at the front middle or back.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    1413 times

Quote Originally Posted by granth View Post
    I also have a car to rent for Corvette drivers....
    I did not know you could make a miata fast in a straight line and slow in the turns??

Oh and anyone who has not raced "reverse grids" are missing out on some really fun racing!

Liked
    251 times

Last race of the year is this weekend?
    Got a schedule for 2015 yet?

BID

Liked
    2267 times

Quote Originally Posted by bikeindirt View Post
    Last race of the year is this weekend?
    Got a schedule for 2015 yet?

BID
    We will post it when we have it. I keep bugging Aaron.

More importantly, why would you be interested in next year's race schedule?
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    251 times

LOL... since my car is on a long term upgrade, I was thinking about doing an arrive and drive. I pulled up the schedule and the last race is this weekend, doh...

BID
    VagaXt likes this.

Liked
    1423 times

Quote Originally Posted by bikeindirt View Post
    LOL... since my car is on a long term upgrade
    CarOnBlocks has returned!
    Schmoe Money likes this.

Liked
    2267 times

Default 2015 Race 1 - ACS Feb 21-22

Pretty excited for this race. As always, ACS delivers some of the very best racing. In at least one race last year, the pack went into T3.. 5 wide. The long straights and slow turns means the packs bunch up and promoting epic braking duels for laps on end. I think William has sorted his brake bias issues that cost him two wins last year. He's pretty much king of the late brakers when his car is right. The draft means any car withing about 5whp of the other can stay in the draft an attack. I did well last year with a tune that gave me a few more hp coming off the turns and lost them near redline. So I would be down a few hp on the banking maybe 135 to everyone else's 140whp, struggling to hold the draft but came off the infield turns enough better to gain half a car length on the infield straights. Just enough to hold of William and Sonny in the inevitable braking duels. This year, I'll tune more like everyone else and shift the peak up 200rpm and see how that works.

From the August 2014 race in Joe's car (get a muffler!)

WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    2267 times

Default 2015 driver list

XX John Adams
    517 Moti Almagor - Red
    36 Jason Ballance
    85 Anthony Bedegi - Silver
    XX Aaron Bitterman
    183 James Bratton
    67 Bill Brinkop - Gray NB orange stripe
    1 Emilio Cervantes - Orange w gray stripe
    2 William Chen - Red w black stripe
    XX Ashley Deluca - Gray
    515 Eric Green - fluorescent green NB
    10 Grant Heathman - Gray
    05 Gordon Jennings - gato negro
    72 Andrew Kidd - White
    71 Jay Kidd - Red
    722 Michael Korody - White
    226 Scott Mciver - Orange/White
    16 Kevin Nasseri - Gray
    XX Alex Renderos
    XX Will Rodgers
    XX Austin Rogers - Gray
    41 Chris Safranski - Forest Green
    71 Kiem Tjong - White/red/blue
    227 Alan Tseng - Green w gold stripe
    3 Sonny Watanasirisuk- White
    54 Richie Wimmer - White
    288 Joe Xie - Yellow
    redtopz likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ Nice field. Have fun out there guys . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast