+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Building an Exocet for ST2/3

Liked
    1583 times

People laugh at corvettes but they are actually amazingly engineered. For example the motor is significantly behind the front axle centerline for that mid front engine balance. I always questioned the value of accusumps. So many use them yet we are in turns like T8 or T2 at WSIR or NASCAR turn at ACS for many many seconds and an accusump will pump out all its oil in a bout 2 seconds. So is it really doing anything? If a wet sump is not good enough IMO you gotta go dry sump. Plus with a drysump you can have a very shallow pan and get that CG down. Maybe there is a branch of pickup tube for the front of that wetsump? If not isn't that just unusable oil volume that is just extra weight, and a liability if hit in an off track excursion? I'm not trying to be a hater it's just in the build stage this is the time to address those kinds of compromises plus it is always fun to spend someone else's money.
    Olitho and ucfbrett like this.

Liked
    67 times

No, no, all great comments. I guess maybe I'm trusting the guys at Kmiata too much. This pan is part of their K- conversion kit for the Miata and allegedly has been re-worked a couple of times. I'm with you Billybob, and maybe need to investigate dry sump options. What I really DON'T like is that each time I spoke or emailed with Kmiata, they were advising on the use of an Accusump. Certainly hasn't given me an abundance of confidence in this set-up.

Just to be clear, up in that front chamber is the chain-driven oil pump itself although the pickup is in the larger, main part of the pan.
    Olitho likes this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2504 times

Having built Kmiata with a full race K20A2, I can second the recommendation for a dry sump. Ours had a proprietary external pump system to ditch the long pick up tube that cause problems
    We also routed our header down the right side and built a kick out to give the pan about a 7qt capacity.
    Olitho and bellwilliam like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    1583 times

Quote Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
    up in that front chamber is the chain-driven oil pump itself although the pickup is in the larger, main part of the pan.
    Sounds like even more reasons for protection of that area like skid plates on off road truck. When our SCCA T1 class went away I stayed behind in T2 with rideheights like an SUV. Almost everyone else left to go faster with wings and splitters. Our continuing off track excursions did not bother my SUV at all but my friends invested many hours and now carry extra splitters in their trailers. It's just another cost of going fast.
    Olitho and bawareca like this.

Liked
    67 times

Sounds like even more reasons for protection of that area like skid plates on off road truck.
    Yeah, totally agree... hence that added bar seen in the pic on Post 1. The skid plate is 3/16" steel... about 16" square.

Liked
    67 times

Picked up the Exocet chassis today from Powder coat shop "A" and dropped it off at shop "B". Been using shop "A" for past several years for our commercial stuff but they quoted $1700 for sandblast and coating + an extra $200 for 10-12 small parts including the shock spacers. $1900 total. WAY too much, IMO.

Liked
    2256 times

Picked up the Exocet chassis today from Powder coat shop "A" and dropped it off at shop "B". Been using shop "A" for past several years for our commercial stuff but they quoted $1700 for sandblast and coating + an extra $200 for 10-12 small parts including the shock spacers. $1900 total. WAY too much, IMO.

I got spray cans and an unsteady hand..... ;-)
    bawareca and CharleyH like this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    67 times

I got spray cans and an unsteady hand..... ;-)
    If plan B doesn't pan out, you're getting a call!

Liked
    67 times

As our quest from the beginning was to build the Exocet for racing (crazy as we may be), we realized that we may often may be in a field of cars that are heavier and where we could conceptually have a stopping distance advantage. That fact combined with the Exocet’s standard mounting of the Miata’s fuel tank seemed like it could be a bad combo. That started the quest for a suitable fuel cell. I mentioned previously that we have an interest in endurance racing as well and many of the rules allow you to have an initial fuel fill equal to the OEM’s max fuel capacity. If we installed a 12 gallon fuel cell with in-cell pump, surge tank, etc. we would likely have less actual capacity than the OEM Miata tank. With this in mind, we wanted to find a 15-gallon tank.

Trouble is, “standard size” 15-gallon fuel cells won’t fit. But we started to look closer at the ATL specs and found that it was really the lip on their enclosure that caused the issue. So, we ordered the bladder and “guts” and ended up fabbing our own shoe-box enclosure.

atl_15gal.jpg
    BOWERSdaAZIAN and bawareca like this.

Liked
    67 times

Just picked up the frame from powdercoating. This powdercoat has a lot of metallic in it that doesn't come through so much in the pictures.

Time to start the build in earnest.... except that we have some customer car work we need to complete this weekend and then gone next weekend to Spring Mountain to practice for the Buttonwillow race the following weekend! Geez.... need to find time to build!!!

IMG_5315.JPG

IMG_5316.JPG

IMG_5317.JPG

Liked
    67 times

Having brought the newly powdercoated frame home on Friday, we made more progress this weekend than I would have thought - given the other commitments that we had.

Exoskeleton is joined to the skateboard and the car is sitting on its suspension for the first time (no more 2x4's between the a-arms). Mirrors installed (I love those CF mirrors), radiator and oil cooler installed, main (aftermarket) fuse block installed. Starting to figure out how to run coolant lines for the engine. All the brake lines fabricated and connected (but not yet tested).

Need to get fuel lines run, finish the coolant and oil lines and start working on the electrical. Mounted the Thunderhill-compulsory beacon light and radio antenna as Ryan still dreams about running it in this year's 25-hours of T-hill.

IMG_5323.JPG

Meanwhile, my daughter, Lauren, brought this home from work....

IMG_5320.JPG

IMG_5322.JPG
    Last edited by CoolTech; 06-12-2017 at 07:31 AM.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    204 times

I guess that means she works at Karma

Liked
    67 times

I guess that means she works at Karma
    Yeah, and she is really liking it! As I understand, they are just starting to trickle these out to dealers. (This particular one was a production pilot - though for a layperson it looks "good to go".)

Kind of a "rare car show" here at the house this weekend with a Revero, Ford GT, Exocet all present. LOL
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    64 times

what's the story with beacon light? why is it compulsory? I was thinking about something like it for my Radical.

Liked
    2305 times

Quote Originally Posted by GraemeD View Post
    what's the story with beacon light? why is it compulsory? I was thinking about something like it for my Radical.

At the 25 Hour race, cars are required to run a roof-mounted flashing yellow light, which you turn on if your car is stranded/broken/crashed or otherwise not moving to alert approaching cars that you are stationary.

Liked
    2305 times

Need to get fuel lines run, finish the coolant and oil lines and start working on the electrical. Mounted the Thunderhill-compulsory beacon light and radio antenna as Ryan still dreams about running it in this year's 25-hours of T-hill.
    Dress warmly.

Liked
    222 times

Has anyone created a body kit for these (beyond cladding)?

Exomotive seems to have the resources to produce great looking bodies in small numbers and at affordable prices (e.g. DBR1). If they haven't considered it yet, perhaps they should.

Liked
    67 times

In addition to what Brett said about the beacon strobe light - remember that the cars are racing through the night and if you have an "off" that no one sees, the beacon will help to get some attention.

Liked
    222 times

There's at least one build out there that adapted the Catfish panels to the Exocet = Exofish (or Catcet ?) - h/t Google.

Photo: https://www.instagram.com/p/BDp_gqBqnxn/
    Build: https://www.miataturbo.net/build-thr...ry-year-80885/

Flying Miata has this to say:
    HOW DOES IT COMPARE TO THE EXOCET?
    Other than the obvious difference of looks, the fundamental concept is the same. The fact that the Catfish has a body does increase build times, and you will have to paint the body panels. The Catfish has a surprising amount of room in the interior although the sill is higher.
    In terms of speed, it all comes down to weight vs drag. The Exocet is approximately 150 lbs lighter, so it will be quicker on slower tracks and in acceleration at first. The Catfish is much slipperier, so it will pull away at higher speeds and will be quicker on a fast track. The Catfish actually generates downforce at speed.
    Conclusion - Sounds like there are options to solve for the aero concerns voiced earlier in this thread. Miata running gear could make for a cool spec-ish class as an alternative to SRF (and the former FFR class that was once big).

Liked
    1583 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Not to worry! Your TrackHQ brother here has a fresh LS6 motor that will solve any aero problem a wimpy motor cannot overcome.
    In line with my quote above I forgot what Enzo Ferrari said, "Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." I think your car would be so much more special with a cool motor. Moti is going with a 360 Ferrari motor. I think you need to escalate the arms race.
    Olitho, Steve35, bawareca and 1 others like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast