+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Rx-7 track videos

Liked
    3 times

Thumbs up Rx-7 track videos

Figured I would start a thread here for my track videos. Id love any feedback about the car, driving, etc.

My car is a 1993 Rx-7 which is slowly being molded into a 99% tack car. The car is still driven on the streets but thats not the focus of my build.
    Engine:
    -13b-REW w/ a streetport.
    -Custom monster V-mount
    -Turblown EFR 8374 EWG single turbo (13psi)
    ~380whp at low boost

Suspension: (Weakpoint on my car)
    -Pettit racing track pro stage 3. Basically Taiwanese subpar coilovers. They are underdamped
    -12K springs F/R
    -2.7 camber front -2 camber rear
    Carbonetic carbon 1.5way LSD

Tires:
    -Dunlop Zii 265/35/18 Front 275/35/18 Rear

Aero: Very minor
    -FEED type II adjustable rear wing
    -RE-Amemiya replica street diffuser
    -99spec front lip (if it does something)
    -**Bubbletech front canards (coming end of summer)

Goals: W/ Street tire/enthusiast class legal
    1:23.xx at SOW (Current best 1.25.7 CW)
    1:57.xx at Buttonwillow (Current best 2.00xx in 2013)

VIDEOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-V2AEriYjg

Short footwork video w/ better sound.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6-9W7lwzTQ

Cheers,
    Armen Joseph P.
    Last edited by VintageFD; 05-19-2015 at 09:08 AM.
    howang and eyeballs like this.

Liked
    367 times

If this goes like all the other FD's I've seen you're going to sell it after dumping an absurd amount of money into it and end up in an S2000.

So I guess, in a weird roundabout way, welcome to the Honda fam.
    bellwilliam and howang like this.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    2264 times

Reliability aside, the FD is arguably one of the prettiest cars ever made, and by far the prettiest Japanese car ever made.

Liked
    3 times

Ive owned the car for 9 years. Been tracking it for around 7 years on and off and never had reliability issues. Never blew a motor or damaged one. I refurbished the original motor a year or so ago and the internals looks great.

Build it right, tune it right and itll last.

I agree UCFbrett, The Rx-7 and 2000gt are of the prettiest Japanese cars IMO.
    2GRX7 likes this.

Liked
    367 times

I think we found the ying to Hakeem's yang.

For every year your car ran right, his didn't. lol
    Do you understand?

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

The FD is one of the very, very few front-engined cars I pine for. Yours looks very nice. Good job and good luck.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

ETK
    Liked
    112 times

Great car. I wish I saw more of these on the track!

I think you will get more feedback on videos if you use an anchored camera instead of a helmet mount. Its much easier to see what the car is doing if the camera is not moving with your head. I just use a suction cup on my back window, and it gives a decent view that shows driver inputs and a nice stable view.

In terms of improving driving, I would recommend learning all the local tracks. I am still pretty new at this, but I find that every time I go to a new track I learn things that are transferable to the other tracks I already know. Maybe you already do this, but if not, definitely learn all the local tracks (Big Willow, ACS, Chuckwalla, etc). Big Willow makes all other corners seem slow, ACS makes you get used to walls . . . there is always something to learn.
    2002 Porsche 911 Targa
    1967 GTV
    1991 Mazda SuperMiata - Junior
    2008 350z - Sold

FastInFastOut.com

Liked
    2313 times

easy to get to your target lap time. install some real tires (not talking r-comp)
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 05-19-2015 at 10:15 AM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2313 times

Quote Originally Posted by VintageFD View Post
    Ive owned the car for 9 years. Been tracking it for around 7 years on and off and never had reliability issues. Never blew a motor or damaged one. I refurbished the original motor a year or so ago and the internals looks great.
    not sure if this is or
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    857 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Reliability aside, the FD is arguably one of the prettiest cars ever made, and by far the prettiest Japanese car ever made.
    +++

Liked
    21 times

It's a shame more FD's aren't tracked or autocrossed, especially in rotary form. Congrats, you've got the car I've always wanted the most but have been too afraid to buy!
    '99 miata

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    easy to get to your target lap time. install some real tires (not talking r-comp)
    Which street tires do you consider "real" tires?

Appreciate all the kind words everyone. Ive always loved FD's, since I was a young kid washing cars at a near by body shop. That was the first time I got up close to an FD and really appreciated its styling. After learning that it is also a proper track car wirh excellent suspenion geometry I knew I had to buy one.. not only to stare at but also track competitively. The car really is a driver focused, telepathic machine. It responds to good driving and bites you with bad driving. Steering, braking and dimensional communication is spot on.

Im hoping this August, when I return from school, Ill have the free time to focus on cracking my track time goals and participating in some TT events. Evident from my video, the car understeers more than I wish however I plan to just adjust my driving vs chassis/suspenion setup to shave the time i need. That is until I buy some ohlins or penske coilovers.
    1993 Rx-7 track toy
    2000 M5 Avus Blue DD

Liked
    21 times

RE-71R and Rival-S seem to be the the best options now for 200tw street tires.
    '99 miata

"Shoe"
    Liked
    565 times

AWESOME. I love FDs. Don't get an S2000, there are too many of them, the FD looks better and has a comparable (Great) chassis. It's not bad to be different.

Why the tire stagger? Why not 275s all around?

Cut down a straight wing element to be the width of your current wing, and then add 2' tall wing "end-plates" to get the element higher in clean air. Add a 2-3" splitter and you'll be amazed at the seconds you'll drop.

Keep up the good work!

-What swaybars are you running? Looks like its a bit loose and struggling with power-down. May want a stiffer front / softer rear bar as well as stand up the rear tires with less camber. Use a PROBE-type pyrometer and measure your tire temps to dial in your camber.

EDIT - Just watched a bit of the SOW laps. You'll drop a couple seconds by STOP USING 2nd GEAR! Maybe you can use it in the T3 left-hander but in all the other corners, you're too high in the RPM and shift at track-out. You have a lot of torque and the laps where you leave it in 3rd, you focus on your driving better and save a TON of time by not having to upshift.
    Last edited by Stuntman; 05-20-2015 at 10:23 AM.

Liked
    2313 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    I love FDs. Don't get an S2000, there are too many of them,
    says the guy who drives other people's car for a living

the guy that has 10 mechanics jump on the car if it breaks
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 05-20-2015 at 11:25 AM.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    708 times

Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    RE-71R and Rival-S seem to be the the best options now for 200tw street tires.
    These wear worse than R Comps but I hear they are fast.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2313 times

Quote Originally Posted by VintageFD View Post
    Which street tires do you consider "real" tires? .
    Rival-S. it is a 50 treadwear tire with a 200 treadwear stamped on it.

on T4, you are way too early, which messed up your line through T5, T6 and T7. you should be on surface of an escape road just past T4 apex.

also don't late the entry to skid pad (last left hander).

and what Master Billy said.....you are in wrong gear most of the corners. rule is: when in doubt, always use the higher gear.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 05-20-2015 at 10:56 AM.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    3 times

Really appreciatibg the feedback guys!

Im surprised people dont like the zii's. I find them to be on par with the rs3's grip wise with added durability/longevity. Ill look into the rivals for my next set.

Regarding the staggered setup.. Its not my preference to run a staggered setuo but due to my front rim size (18x9.5 +45) i cant fit 275/35 without rubbing the fender lip; sidewall is too tall.. 285/30 would work but i dont want to run such a wide tire on a 9.5inch rim. Future plans are to fit 11inch rims on each corner w/ 285/30/18 tires.

The biggest issue I have with SOW is choosing which gear for each turn, as you all noticed. Im lucky that the rotary pushes a lot of exhaust gas helps spool my turbo up lightning fast so 3rd gear for most of the track should work. Ill try it out next time. Btw my gearing is quite long..2nd gear at 8k rpm is 65mph, 3rd gear 100mph 4th gear 140mph.

Ive seen some fast guys like Randy Pobst take t4 tight without tracking out to the left after t3. Guess its a preference maybe?

Armen
    1993 Rx-7 track toy
    2000 M5 Avus Blue DD

Liked
    2313 times

I was semi kidding about the tire. Zii is great tire, BUT the new Rival-S is really just a cheater tire. It will be significantly faster than Zii for sure. But will last 1/2 as long if you are lucky.

If you have to upshift at track out. By definition, track out is where tire is no longer turning and you can can use 100% of its traction towards acceleration. Then it means you didn't need the power of lower gear during the turn.

No, you don't always have to track left for T4 entry (shorter line if stay right), but you need to hit apex there. Not where they usually put the cone but the escape road about 3ft past where you think apex is. In the 2 laps I saw on ur video, u missed it by more than a few feet
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    3 times

Its funny I had no idea a new Rival (S) had come out. Just read a few reviews on it and it looks serious! I really dont care much about tread wear since for most cases tires cycle out before the wear out for me.

Now I see what you mean by the escape route, I thought you were talking about the side road on the left before T4. Ill def take that into consideration next time im out there. Shoot, Ill be happy to give any of you all for a ride along if your there also.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    AWESOME. I love FDs. Don't get an S2000, there are too many of them, the FD looks better and has a comparable (Great) chassis. It's not bad to be different.

Why the tire stagger? Why not 275s all around?

Cut down a straight wing element to be the width of your current wing, and then add 2' tall wing "end-plates" to get the element higher in clean air. Add a 2-3" splitter and you'll be amazed at the seconds you'll drop.

Keep up the good work!

-What swaybars are you running? Looks like its a bit loose and struggling with power-down. May want a stiffer front / softer rear bar as well as stand up the rear tires with less camber. Use a PROBE-type pyrometer and measure your tire temps to dial in your camber.

EDIT - Just watched a bit of the SOW laps. You'll drop a couple seconds by STOP USING 2nd GEAR! Maybe you can use it in the T3 left-hander but in all the other corners, you're too high in the RPM and shift at track-out. You have a lot of torque and the laps where you leave it in 3rd, you focus on your driving better and save a TON of time by not having to upshift.
    I had a really nice probe type pyrometer which I used up to a couple years ago when someone stole it at the track I know my front camber is good but the rear may need some adjusting as you suggested.

Regarding the sway bars, I run a stiffer tanabe front bar and OEM rear bar. The car doesnt turn in the way Id like it to so I am avoiding going stiffer up front. The car actually puts power down pretty damn well considering the car makes 320wtq and the way it responds imo. I think I was just over driving the car a bit lol. The front inside tire lift is more than ideal, which is making me wonder if adding a stiffer rear sway bar will help. Im not sure.
    1993 Rx-7 track toy
    2000 M5 Avus Blue DD

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast