• 1 Post By robburgoon
  • 3 Post By SteveLevin
  • 3 Post By fatbillybob

Thread: WTF happened to WSIR?

"Shoe"
    Liked
    589 times

Default WTF happened to WSIR?

I don't think I've been there in 7-8 years but holy crap, it's extremely abrasive and the bumps seem to have gotten a little worse. The abrasiveness is now up there as one of the worst I've ever been to, on par with PBIR, CAMP, and Calabogie.

On a positive note, it looks like sow was repaved.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2564 times

Nothing happened, that's sort of the problem. Bill Huth died a few years ago and nothing seems to have changed. He was very vocal and dead-set on not making any improvements to the facility. No rationale provided other than a bad attitude. I presumed that his kids would want to invest in the facility in order to raise fees.
    I guess I was wrong :shrugs:
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    1487 times

I heard the big track is getting a repave soon. SoW was "phase 1"

Liked
    2564 times

Excellent news Rob. Big Willow is one of my all-time favorite tracks..
    heypal likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    2343 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    I heard the big track is getting a repave soon. SoW was "phase 1"
    Where did you hear that? When?

Liked
    1705 times

Big willow is my least favorite to race out of 22 tracks so far. I broke in my motor at big willow last friday testday. I have not raced willow in 2 years and my 120 miles of break in was a snooze fest. Huth used to say wsir is a historic place. To me it is just old like a log cabin. Watkins glenn is a historic place.
    2GRX7 and granth like this.

Liked
    1487 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Where did you hear that? When?
    From someone racing there with one of the p car clubs, a month ago or so
    fatbillybob likes this.

Liked
    594 times

I heard rumor a bunch of men with suspiciously 70s chest hair and gold chains were in the process of buying it and renaming it "Corvette Speedway"

Steve
    Olitho, ucfbrett and bawareca like this.

Liked
    1705 times

Oli is buying Willow Springs...YEAH!!
    Olitho, bawareca and heypal like this.

Liked
    1487 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Excellent news Rob. Big Willow is one of my all-time favorite tracks..
    Yeah, I think I'd score it number 1 in cali for racing on. Sonoma is an amazing track to drive, but passing at Sonoma is complicated.

There may be something to said for a race track that has no mandatory single file segments

Liked
    2339 times

Yeah, I think I'd score it number 1 in cali for racing on. Sonoma is an amazing track to drive, but passing at Sonoma is complicated.

There may be something to said for a race track that has no mandatory single file segments
    Are not turns three through five almost single file segments at WSIR? Yeah, I suppose you can go side-by side through most of those turns, but I think they all have segments where you really fall to a disadvantage and one point in the turns. The same for Turn Nine, but I agree WSIR is a great track to race wheel to wheel.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1487 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Are not turns three through five almost single file segments at WSIR? Yeah, I suppose you can go side-by side through most of those turns, but I think they all have segments where you really fall to a disadvantage and one point in the turns. The same for Turn Nine, but I agree WSIR is a great track to race wheel to wheel.
    I've mugged bigger cars lots of times in turn 4 (and had them turn down on me too since they never expect it). 5 is a terrible place to go side by side for your lap time, but works just fine if you're racing for the lead with no threats behind. The outside of 3 sucks, but a defense can still be made to work from there.

9 works side by side too, again if you're willing to eat your lap time.

My point is how you're going to have a much stickier time trying to go two wide through the esses at sonoma or buttonwillow. Maybe the criteria should be how dramatic a change in speed is required to go 2 wide, and how long you have for both parties to realize you need to.

Liked
    2564 times

Agree with Rob, in Supermiata at least, we go side by side in every turn. 3 wide in T2 almost every race. Lower speeds and more agile cars makes this possible I think. In a faster car that doesn't yaw and change direction as quickly, more of the turns become single file I guess.
    Only tracks I like racing on more are Chuckwalla and ACS. Difference there is CVR is still lots of fun solo or HPDE whereas ACS is achingly dull once yo have no cars to race against.

Fave might actually be Thunderhill with bypass, the classic layout but I never get to race there anymore. Haven't raced there since 2012 though.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    2339 times

I've mugged bigger cars lots of times in turn 4 (and had them turn down on me too since they never expect it).
    I agree. The problem with Turn four in a Corvette vs. Miata scenario is that the Corvette can often dive inside at the apex of Turn 3 and run side-by-side with a Miata up to the top of Turn Four for example. The Corvette will often take the higher line and square off a bit up there and rotate sharply down to the Turn Four exit apex. The Miata wants to run low and tight and will then run up again next to the Corvette at apex. The Corvette will again at that point be carrying a lot of speed for the exit down the hill, but the onus is on the Corvette to be very careful checking the mirrors. I know this first-hand. You can switch up the car makes, but there are two lines through that corner that can be effective for fast laps/passing and that is what is part of what makes WSIR a great racing track.

With that said, I maintain going through Three, Four and Five side-by-side just kills lap times.

Liked
    2339 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Agree with Rob, in Supermiata at least, we go side by side in every turn. 3 wide in T2 almost every race. Lower speeds and more agile cars makes this possible I think.
    Yes, this is true, it is just so much penalty on speed going side-by-side through portions of those turns that as Rob said, you better not have anyone gaining on you when doing so.

Turn Eight is a great turn to run side-by-side, but I am often leery of doing so there unless I really know and trust the other racer. In my car I am now touching 140 MPH and with the bumps through there, the limited good runoff, and the declining radius into Turn Nine I will only do so if I feel safe about the other racer. Otherwise the better judgement is to wait until the short shoot between Eight and Nine and jump inside in that trail brake zone.

Liked
    2339 times

How fast will Turn Eight be if they get rid of the bumps?

Liked
    2564 times

As coarse as the surface is now, a repave would make the whole track faster. Unless they have money to spend, which they probably don't, I doubt they'll shave it first. Meaning the bumps are likely to stay just as they stayed at Buttonwillow for the most part. Still bumpy, just a higher grip surface I bet.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

+ Reply to Thread